Author Topic: Ever heard of a Karrimor Ajungilak sleeping bag?  (Read 3001 times)

Steve922

I just found a sleeping bag in the loft. I probably bought it from a car boot 10 or 20 years ago. The sewn-on label clearly identifies it as a Karrimor Ajungilak bag (and nothing more) but I can't find any reference to a Karrimor bag of this name on t'net. There seems to be a company called Mammut who make Ajungilak bags now. Did they perchance take over this bag from Karrimor?
   The bag weighs ion at just under 2kg, which is a half kg lighter than my current one so I'm very interested in its reputation or how it might perform!  Any knowledge or ideas?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Ever heard of a Karrimor Ajungilak sleeping bag?
« Reply #1 on: 18:08:14, 04/04/17 »
Don't know if this will help, he didn't get a reply.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121305
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:16:14, 04/04/17 »
You may have bought yours from the same 'squaddie' - who frequents car boot sales !
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Forkbeard

« Reply #3 on: 18:38:29, 04/04/17 »
I had an Ajungilak bag in the 90s, back when it was just 'Ajungilak of Norway' and it was very good from what I remember (and wasn't cheap). Mammut bought them out about 2001. I don't know where the Karrimor bit comes in though.

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 10:44:49, 19/04/17 »
I had an Ajungilak bag in the 90s, back when it was just 'Ajungilak of Norway' and it was very good from what I remember (and wasn't cheap). Mammut bought them out about 2001. I don't know where the Karrimor bit comes in though.

I remember them being around in the late 90's, but like you don't remember them being Karrimor.    However I know that while these days the Karrimor name tends to be associated with cheaper gear since being taken over by venture capitalists, back in the 90's their's was very good gear so I would expect any sleeping bags to be worth having. 

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:17:49, 19/04/17 »
I've got an Ajungilak bivvy, and it's solid kit and nowhere does it have Karrimor on the kit.  Purely the 'of Norway' label.

At the moment anything Karrimor I try to stay away from, other than their base layers, which are cheap and get hammered with use - especially after my girlfriend melted a hole in my £80 icebreaker ones...  ???

snoopdawg

« Reply #6 on: 11:38:39, 14/01/18 »
Old post I know but I thought I would comment. My dad has 2 of these bags both bought in the late 80,s. The fill is Quallofil Dacron. I am going to test one of them out on a bothy trip as I used my 3 season bag up at Burleywhag last weekend when it was -10 and I was freezing. He swears by his and did camp out in it a lot of times over the Scottish winters.

They were bought locally (Newcastle ) and I think about that time there was only the LD mountain centre around

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy