Author Topic: Grasmere  (Read 1516 times)

Bubu

Grasmere
« on: 12:27:23, 08/04/17 »
Hi

I'm relatively new to walking any distance and I'm heading to the Grasmere area next week for a few days. Looking for relatively easy walks that take around 2/3 hours. Any advice on where is best or where I shouldn't head would be much appreciated

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Grasmere
« Reply #1 on: 13:13:29, 08/04/17 »
The ascent of Silver Howe is well worth the climb. O0  There's a point to watch for a little over half a mile in where the obvious path goes straight on, but you need to look for a less distinct path on the left and cross the Gill.
When leaving the summit; The descent of the gully may look off-putting but it's pretty straightforward and most of it is on steps. The views from the summit over Grasmere are outstanding!

GPX Attached.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:03:44, 08/04/17 »
Loughrigg is worth an explore. An interesting and knobbly plateau. I'm planning on heading there tomorrow.

Helm Crag dominates Grasmere and is another iconic fell that isn't too high.  

If you're happy with not bagging Wainwrights, a walk to Easdale Tarn is lovely -(go out via Far Easdale and Stythwaite Steps and return via Easdsle) as is a stroll along Loughrigg Terrace taking in Rydal Caves.
Have fun!

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:24:19, 08/04/17 »
I agree with Sarah.  Grasmere to Easedale Tarn is a nice short walk, not too difficult, and only 750 ish ft of ascent.

Or Helm Crag - that's another nice short one, the climb is a bit steep in parts, but it's worth it for the views.  The paths for both are nice and clear, easy to follow.  All you have to do is follow the right one.   ;) O0

werringtonwalker

« Reply #4 on: 19:48:15, 08/04/17 »
I'm also with Sarah and would also add the Corpse Road to Rydal (more fun than it sounds, which can be twinned with return via White Moss Common and Loughrigg Terrace for a lovely circuit of the lake itself.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:26:21, 08/04/17 »
Werrington walker, which path is the corpse road from Grasmere? I can't see one labelled this on the OS map. I'm probably not looking properly...

The Old Corpse Road down to Haweswater has amazing views.

werringtonwalker

« Reply #6 on: 20:53:18, 08/04/17 »
It goes up behind Dove Cottage and then runs parallel to the Ambleside Road - I've always known it as the Corpse Road but that may just be something I picked up from mum and dad when we first walked it in the seventies and has become a family shorthand for describing the path.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:55:35, 08/04/17 »
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2719

The section north of Rydal Water on this trace.
Solvitur Ambulando

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:15:40, 08/04/17 »
Thanks both.
Ninth ace, hope you are enjoying exploring new areas. Are you missing Cumbrian walking much?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:41:09, 09/04/17 »
Thanks both.
Ninth ace, hope you are enjoying exploring new areas. Are you missing Cumbrian walking much?
I am enjoying exploring a new area. Devon could do with a good ironing, the hills are plentiful if not as high and yes, from time to time I miss the Cumbrian hills but not the weather that went with them - my vegetable garden is weeks ahead. If you click on the blue i after my name on the link for the Coffin Route you can see what I've been up to. Enjoy Grasmere, an early start beats the hordes.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bubu

« Reply #10 on: 07:36:51, 09/04/17 »
Thank you everyone

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:45:06, 09/04/17 »
Don't forget to buy the Gingerbread, it's gorgeous.   :-*

Ilona

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy