Author Topic: IOW Coastal Path  (Read 1694 times)

Tulip

IOW Coastal Path
« on: 18:59:16, 19/04/17 »
Hi there,
has anyone walked the Isle of Wight Coastal Path recently? I'm doing it the first week in May and am camping all the way round. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for campsites or bad experiences!

Thanks

Warbler

Re: IOW Coastal Path
« Reply #1 on: 21:16:42, 19/04/17 »

I read a report on this path 3 or 4 years ago. It said that the path wasn't well kept, overgrown, and actually closed in some sections. I can't offer any recommendations as I haven't walked it, but I'll be very interested to know how you get on with it.
I may consider this for later in the year. It's quite strange really that I haven't seriously considered it even though I can see it if I walk a couple of hundred yards from my house (the island that is, not the actual path).
Hope the path has been improved since I read about it.

Rather be walking

« Reply #2 on: 13:00:10, 20/04/17 »
I walked the path last year, didn't encounter any problems.
The north section between Ryde and Cowes and between Cowes and Shalfleet is road & lanes. However the parts of the path (north section) has been taken of the road and run parallel with the road/lane along the field edge.

Campsites are a bit thin on the ground close to the path:
Stoats Farm, Freshwater.
Compton Farm.
Great Thorness campsite is expensive.
The Orchards campsite.
My favourite is Chine Farm Camping Site, Military Road.

They all Camping, Caravan and Motorhome sites  :(

You can wild pitch if you're really careful.

John. Portsmouth.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Tulip

« Reply #3 on: 14:34:19, 20/04/17 »
Thanks John - that's really useful.

I already thought Chine farm looked quite nice. Hadn't heard of a couple of them though so will look them up. Most look big but I've found a couple of smaller ones I think too so hopefully all will be well.

Might try wild pitching but only if such a spot presents itself! We are two people and a dog and the latter can be a bit barky!

Thanks

Stube

« Reply #4 on: 18:54:38, 21/04/17 »
I walked it 4 years ago - I disliked it because of the amount road walking out of sight of the sea - not the most coastal path! A street map is probably more useful than the OS. Way marking is better if you walk it clockwise - I did it anti. 

I camped at the following start/finish at Ryde:

Thorness Bay
Stoats Farm
Chine Farm
Carpenters Farm

Chine farm was my most expensive pitch with fewest facilities - no pub & no competition. Receptionist was very unfriendly & I was the only customer. A wild camp would be possible in the abandoned holiday camp next door.

The cluster of sites near Shanklin all close their receptions by 5:30 so pre-booking is essential. Sites are patrolled and facilities keycoded.

Food & beer was cheapest at Thorness Bay & most expensive at Stoats Farm.

« Last Edit: 19:00:59, 21/04/17 by Stube »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy