Author Topic: The standards for defining a waterproof boot.. legal case  (Read 323 times)

Peter

• Veteran Member
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Very  O0
Where there's a will ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
Yes, very[/i ] interesting.

Just in case anyone else is a little doubtful as to exactly where the feather line is here is a link to Mountain W's explanation (scroll down for a picture)

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/expert-advice/walking-boots-guide
Most walks start by finding the way out of the car park

Stube

I find the number of cycles ridiculously low. With about 1000 cycles to the mile, 15k is a day's walk  :o
« Last Edit: 19:56:11, 21/04/17 by Stube »

Kukkudrill

"Most waterproof shoes and boots are only tested to be waterproof up to the feather line." What a load of rubbish. Sounds to me like a deliberate attempt to hoodwink people into buying substandard goods. Wouldn't have expected it from a name like Mountain Warehouse.  Well done to the ASA for putting a stop to it. I won't be buying any boots from MW, that's for sure.
Make the most of the available light

MikeW

I find the number of cycles ridiculously low. With about 1000 cycles to the mile, 15k is a day's walk  :o

True however most manufacturers state that once the boot has been cleaned and fully dried out the counter is re-set hence 15,000 cycles would be considered as 'fully' waterproof for all day walks whereas 5000 cycles would be considered 'shower proof'. Have a look at boot waterproof definition on the Decathlon website. They are very specific and clear about what should be expected waterproof wise from their boots. It's a pity other retailers don't do the same. They also state other things clearly such as what wind speed tents are tested to but that's another thread.