Author Topic: Where to spend a week Hiking/Hill walking?  (Read 1738 times)

buntonn

Where to spend a week Hiking/Hill walking?
« on: 17:15:25, 24/04/17 »
Hi I know this isn't a simple question to answer so really after your thoughts on your own experience.  I have a week to spare this year and want to spend that week backpacking in the UK, this is my idea and thoughts.

1. Hike/Hillwalk in the UK to gain experience, have fun and see some of the hidden beauty of this country.
2. This will be my first ever backpack and I have no proper experience of Hiking or Hillwalking, so no looking for anything too advanced and building the walk up over the week maybe ideal.
3. I am 47 but relatively fit and not afraid of a challenge and this is also about fitness to want a few challenges and tough ares to burn the legs at time.
4. I have built a good kit from reading and reading and you-tubing. So covered in that area.
5. None of my pals are interested so alone on this one, not bothered by that, but would be good to have some routes where you get to meet people and have a chat.
6. I spent a good few years visiting Glen Nevis near Fort William and love Gel Coe and Rannoch Moor, would love to do this week in Glen Coe but feel its a long way to drive solo and do all the walking too. But it's in my bucket list for sure and I just want to see what is on the other side of those hills...
7. Definitely want to get up for some stunning views, happy to wild camp if I can, if not then I need to consider sites on route.
8. Will drive so have car if need to split this over a few places.

So the big questions is where would you go? Peak District, Lake District, Snowdonia other??  I think this will be in June or July

Sorry its a long message and not easy, but would really appreciate any feedback.  I am not being lazy, I have been gathering books, looking on websites, getting walking routes from Trail and other walking magazines, but just thought I would ask those who might just have a good idea for me.

Thanks,
Nick

Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Where to spend a week Hiking/Hill walking?
« Reply #1 on: 19:43:17, 24/04/17 »
The Lake District - base yourself in Keswick and the world is your oyster  O0   Plan day walks and return to a base if this is your first time planning a "walking holiday".  Plus, having a base gives you the option of a rest day (something you can't do if you're doing a linear multi-day walk unless you factor it in).

Plus (again).  If you have a base, you can research walks you can do in that particular area rather than having vague ideas (a wish list) scattered all over the country - save them for your next adventure  O0

Anyway, that's my 2p's worth  :)

buntonn

« Reply #2 on: 20:00:51, 24/04/17 »
Mel, thanks for your input and I think that's a very sensible ideal. I'll look into what's a good campsite to base at for the week.

Thanks,
Nick

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:27:24, 24/04/17 »
Can't help you with campsite suggestions I'm afraid - hopefully someone else will come along and suggest some for you  O0

Good luck with your planning and ..... enjoy.

I'm not envious at all.  Nope. Not. At. All  ;D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:34:26, 24/04/17 »
Where are you driving from?  Less midges in England than Scotland that time of year.  Much as I love Scotland.  The Lakes has to be the one to do if your looking to meet folk on route.  If you want to get well away from the rat race, then Dartmoor works a treat, but there are not the post card views many people like, just rugged honest moorland and even a couple of mountains. Big plus you can wild camp pretty much any where you fancy  O0
« Last Edit: 20:41:18, 24/04/17 by BuzyG »

buntonn

« Reply #5 on: 20:49:46, 24/04/17 »
Where are you driving from?  Less midges in England than Scotland that time of year.  Much as I love Scotland.  The Lakes has to be the one to do if your looking to meet folk on route.  If you want to get well away from the rat race, then Dartmoor works a treat, but there are not the post card views many people like, just rugged honest moorland and even a couple of mountains. Big plus you can wild camp pretty much any where you fancy  O0

Driving from Essex, Lake District is no problem. I know those pesky midges only too well from when I was doing landscape photography there some few years back.

wackynation

« Reply #6 on: 08:22:59, 25/04/17 »
If you want hills and glorious sea views how about the Devon or Dorset
coastal paths

buntonn

« Reply #7 on: 09:08:01, 25/04/17 »
I'll be in the New Forest at the end of May so hope to get some time along the cost then as well as a few forest treks.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:04:57, 25/04/17 »
If you want hills and glorious sea views how about the Devon or Dorset
coastal paths

I'll second that and include North Cornwall and the Somerset end of the SWCP - plenty of good steep ups and downs. Very easy to wild camp plus sites if you prefer a shower to the sea. Won't be crowded but you will meet people to say hello to. Passes through villages for food/pubs.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:00:17, 25/04/17 »
Or what about a long distance path? Hadrians Wall, Dales Way, Cotswold Way all doable in a week, or less if you're a fast walker.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:36:15, 25/04/17 »
There's a thread about Lake District campsites here:
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34483
Skip

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:50:37, 25/04/17 »
After having my first trip out into the Howgills recently I can thoroughly recommend them for a weeks worth of walking.  Not a fashionable area by any stretch of the imagination, in the past I've guilty of it too, heading to the more popular areas of the lakes to do the more well known fells, but I really had my eyes opened on my recent excursion and will be going back to do some more discovering.  Probably not the best of areas to meet people unfortunately but ideal if solitude is what you want.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:00:46, 25/04/17 »
If you want to use formal sites as well as wild camping then this site http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk will give you lots of ideas.

Regards Keith

Bradders

« Reply #13 on: 23:01:58, 13/05/17 »
Brecon Beacons - can't beat it.
Want to get out of this concrete jungle!!

buntonn

« Reply #14 on: 07:41:57, 15/05/17 »
Thank you for all your input of ideas and suggestions here

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy