Author Topic: Recommended Campsites near Keswick to base at for a week?  (Read 1788 times)

buntonn

Hello I am trying to plan a week away in the Lakes for June and have been advised to base around Keswick and go day walks from there. I am looking for a campsite which just provides nice toilets and showers tbh. Electric would be a plus, but planning on taking a couple of portable charge packs.  Any you recommend do you know if I can book in advance?

Thanks,
Nick

Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

Percy

• Veteran Member
There are a couple near Keswick and a decent one near Castlerigg.

buntonn

Are the couple near Keswick I see, Keswick Caravan and Camping club site and Braithwaite Bridges. Are they the ones you mean?

Thanks,
Nick

Rascal

There are 2 right next to each other on the main drag from Keswick to Ambleside...just outside Keswick.
The one of the RH side of the lane is Castlerigg Hall, the one a tad further on on the LH side is Castlerigg Farm.
Stayed at both - CF years ago, CH 2 weeks ago.
I would go for CF - lower down and less wind-prone. There's a footpath that goes into town (30 min walk) where you should try Cow Pie at the George - if you're man enough ;-)

MarkT

I can personally recommend Castlerigg Campsite. I have stayed there before and my friend goes at least twice a year. The staff are very helpful with a good shop onsite. There is also an area just for the campers with sofa's and tables and you can use the cooking facilities, microwave and hob i think (at extra cost). Plenty of electric points to recharge any media devices and you get free wifi with a good range, if required.  The toilets and showers are very well maintained and cleaned regularly and have heated floors if it gets a bit chilly, no extra cost for showers, oh and very hot! There is also a small farm with a few animals if you have young ones.

The only down side of it I found was the location, as nothing else near the campsite apart from a dodgy looking pub. Most days I drove 10mins or so to my walking start point ie for Catbells and Skiddaw but all depends what walks you are planning.

Overall, highly recommend Castlerigg Campsite, check their website and yes you can book in advance with them.

Scrambledlegs

I can't fault the national trust site in great langdale. It's about 17 miles away but if you don't mind the drive it's worth it for a really beautiful, peaceful part of the lakes. The site itself is pretty basic and used by walkers (and quite often families). Free hot water and a basic shop.

We've been here more times than I can remember in the last few years both with and without kids.

You'd be really close to some amazing walks with pavey arc to walk or to climb via jack's rake route if you like a challenge. There's side pike a few minutes away if you want a very quick fix and you can head a few minutes down the road and start the route up to bowfell.

Views are amazing and even though there's loads of people on the tourist routes, the place seems less overcrowded than places closer to the towns.

3 pubs in close walking distance of the site( the old and new dungeon Ghyll ) and Stickle Barn which is a NT run pub.

Have a look, it might be worth the detour?

Skip

• Veteran Member
I can't fault the national trust site in great langdale. It's about 17 miles away...

If you aren't dead set on Keswick, then I too recommend Great Langdale. The site can be noisy at night but it's got a great atmosphere and is surrounded by truly great walks - the Langdale Pikes, Lingmoor, Pike O Blisco, the magnificent Crinkle Crags (one of the finest ridge walks in England), and the noble brooding Bow Fell.

Behind the Langdale Pikes are High Raise and the central ridge; beyond the Rosset Pass lies Esk Pike, Esk Hause and the Scafell massif - Great End, Broad Crag, Scafell Pike and Sca Fell itself.

If you are committed to Keswick I highly recommend Castlrigg Farm (not Hall). The website is here:
http://castleriggfarm.com/

See the reviews here:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=4110

Below is my own review.

I recently stayed for two nights at Castlerigg Farm, a long-established family-run campsite. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The facilities are fairly good, the cost is reasonable and the location is excellent.

The site is easy to find and is well signposted from the A591 about a mile out of Keswick. The site is on high ground above the town with great views in all directions.

Reception is staffed morning and evening. Upon arrival, you book in then select your own pitch and cars can be parked beside tents.

Although the electric hook-up pitches for caravans or motor homes can be booked in advanced, the site doesn't take reservations for tents - camping is on a first come, first served basis.

There are two fields, one for caravans the other for tents and the whole site is on a gentle slope. The fields are fairly exposed to the wind - there's not much shelter although the tent field has more trees around it than the caravan field. The grass is well kept and the soil takes tent pegs easily.

There is a noise curfew at night because the site caters to family groups and couples - it's not for rowdy single-sex groups. On the nights I stayed it was lovely and quiet.

The wardens take a stroll round in the evening and this is very reassuring.

The gate is locked overnight from 10pm until 8am to minimise noise and means you aren't woken by traffic returning late - a good point.

The facilities block shares its building with the reception and shop. The facilities are to a fairly good standard but feel a bit dated. Everything was kept clean. There are adequate loos and showers for the size of the site. During my stay the water was hot.

The site welcomes dogs and doesn't charge for them - it has a dog-washing enclosure, free poo bags, and a good dog walking area.

In summary, this is a very friendly campsite maintained to a good standard in a wonderful location. I recommended it .

Skip

buntonn

Thanks Skip,

I am now having a read up about that site, tbh as I will have my vehicle at base, I am not tied or committed to Keswick. I just want a nice site with a good atmosphere and views with clean hot showers and clean toilets. Not even worried about a shop either, a freezer to keep ice block frozen would be a big plus as I can take my camping coolbox with me and leave it at base.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Burns Farm just 1 mile outside of Threlkheld and 3 miles from Keswick would meet your needs.

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

jontea

• Veteran Member
Scotgate caravan and camping, just 5 mins drive from Braithwaite into Keswick.
It has a great shower block and shop, pub 5 mins walk, and not only does evening meals, they also do a day pack  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

buntonn

Re: Recommended Campsites near Keswick to base at for a week?
« Reply #10 on: 19:46:48, 27/04/17 »
Thanks for both the recommendations  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy