Author Topic: Why aren't backpacks waterproof?  (Read 3120 times)

Steve922

Why aren't backpacks waterproof?
« on: 23:56:18, 25/04/17 »
Title says it all, really.   After buying a backpack, we then have to go to the trouble (and expense) of finding and buying a (hopefully suitable) waterproof liner and a waterproof covering.
   Why don't they simply make the backpack waterproof in the first place?

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Why aren't backpacks waterproof?
« Reply #1 on: 08:51:38, 26/04/17 »
Some are!

For day walks I have an Exped Cloudburst 25L, very light weight but for various reasons I would not  recommend it though it is really waterproof (in both directions as I found when the top came off my water bottle inside).

Much, much better designed, and cheaper, are the Alpkit ones which a friend on mine uses https://www.alpkit.com/featured/backpacks
« Last Edit: 12:25:56, 26/04/17 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:48:11, 26/04/17 »
You can get fully waterproof rucksacks they're the caving one, really just a heavy duty dry bag with shoulder straps. They're not functional though and they are heavy.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:11:18, 27/04/17 »
Lightwave packs are not really waterproof. This is their own spec
All the seams on the main body and lid are either welded or taped, making the Fastpack virtually waterproof and ideal for use in wet or wintery climates. (For technical reasons the seams attaching the back panel cannot be sealed, but these are largely protected from the weather by the wearer’s own back.)

The Mountain Hardwear ones look interesting as they are waterproof, light weight and not expensive either. New backpack coming up :D?
« Last Edit: 13:32:47, 27/04/17 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

toadoftoadhall

« Reply #5 on: 08:53:17, 27/04/17 »
Bought a backpack from Taunton Leisure, and it was delivered in a heavy duty plastic bag.
Its now my bag liner. Waterproof and free.  :)

Rather be walking

« Reply #6 on: 12:25:45, 27/04/17 »
It's one of life's great mysteries  ;D
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

jethro10

« Reply #7 on: 15:46:17, 27/04/17 »
I have this, not waterproof, but has a built in but removable large (25L ??) dry sack.
i like it, very comfortable also.
http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/235978-technicals-aqua-ii-35-5l-rucksack-black.html

DK

« Reply #8 on: 14:20:09, 02/05/17 »
I don't care if my pack gets wet as I use dry bags for everything inside, can't be bothered with on and off with those raincovers  :o
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

KimE

« Reply #9 on: 07:50:08, 05/05/17 »

One of my Haglöfs have a waterproof liner but its not waterproof submerged, i use plastic bags to keep the important stuff dry (clothes, food). The liner makes the bag 200-300g heavyer than a unprotected bag, I dont need to use a rain cover for it. The old way useing a big garbagebag inside the backpack would still work and then its worn you can change it.

quixoticgeek

« Reply #10 on: 23:01:59, 07/05/17 »

Why aren't backpacks waterproof? Because it's too expensive to do so.

If you consider how many seams there are in a backpack, and then trying to water proof all of those? Also, for the most part you don't need them to be. Sure you want your sleeping bag to be in a waterproof container most of the time, but actually all you do is make a condensation trap, what keeps moisture out, also keeps moisture in. And that applies to any fluid... including food aromas... body odours...

Even putting your sleeping bag in a dry bag too soon after vacating it, you risk trapping all that sweat you created during the night. Makes your bag stink.

If you look at photos of some of the big hikers, like Chris Townsend and the like, you'll notice when ever they stop for a cuppa, or lunch, they pull their sleeping bag out of the water proof stuff sack to air it.

So yes, a waterproof backpack sounds like a great idea, right up to the point when it isn't...

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:23:32, 08/05/17 »
Unless something is sealed then I can't see how it can be waterproof, and by that I mean if it feel into a river would it stay dry? Far too much sales spin and not enough clarity on what is waterproof, rainproof, splashproof and what they actually mean etc to confuse IMO.
roll on the weekend

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy