Author Topic: Garmin 64s  (Read 2661 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin 64s
« Reply #15 on: 18:42:36, 29/04/17 »
Click download from the website. The file will appear in your downloads folder on your computer. In this case is a file called "6". Open BaseCamp, open file tab, use import menu to copy the trace from your downloads folder to a folder of your choice in BaseCamp. You can also rename it to something more sensible. When you want the trace on your gps, connect your gps, drag the "6" or whatever you called it from the folder your put it in to your gps internal memory or SD card. Open the trace, convert it to a route (250 waypoints max) and if you want, download a Birdseye map tile to fit the trace plus a margin round it.  Happy hiking.
Solvitur Ambulando

photonut

« Reply #16 on: 09:13:09, 21/06/17 »
I have recently bought the 64s (and very pleased I am with it too) along with the Garmin NiMH battery pack.  My theory being that I would not need to keep opening/ closing the battery door to insert/ remove batteries for charging, rather I could just plug the device in and charge that way... just as one does with a phone.

To charge the 64s I started to use my laptop but this did not really seem to charge the batteries very much and the battery icon did not seem to indicate that is was charging.  So I used my Apple charger, plugging the USB lead into that instead.  However, the charger does seem to get quite warm and I wondered if anyone else has a similar experience with this?

Additionally, and this is my main concern, is that when the device is charging there is no screen saver, even a blank screen would be better.  When on charge the 64s initially goes to a charging 'page' which shows the battery taking charge but then after a few seconds reverts back to the selected screen the 64s is in when in use, eg map.  I am ultimately concerned about screen damage and wondered if anyone has thoughts on the matter?

Regards
Lee

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:54:39, 21/06/17 »
My Montana shows a battery icon when charging, but the link below says yours will turn on.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/gpsmap64/EN-US/GUID-3954A785-E19A-4195-A79A-BA05FA168A9D.html
Where there's a will ...

photonut

« Reply #18 on: 11:47:52, 21/06/17 »
Hi Sussamb,

Thank you for your reply.  I had read the manual and saw the information that you have pointed me to.

I have just made a comment on the Garmin manuals page asking them to indicate exactly what the 64s should display whilst charging.  I figure that might be more helpful.

Thankfully if Garmin only state that the unit just turns on then I am going to assume that there will be no damage to the screen as a result.  I guess I could keep pressing the power on/ off button as this changes the screen to the battery charging icon and screen brightness.

Cheers
Lee

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy