Author Topic: Garmin 64s  (Read 2660 times)

roy47

Garmin 64s
« on: 11:03:21, 27/04/17 »
Hi ive recently purchase a garmin 64s. When importing routes to the unit they show up in a completely random order, is there anyway to get them sorted alphabetically

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin 64s
« Reply #1 on: 11:35:42, 27/04/17 »
They show nearest to farthest, so it's not random.  The theory is that if you want to navigate a route you'd choose ones close to where you are.  AFAIK there is no way to change this.
Where there's a will ...

roy47

« Reply #2 on: 12:00:23, 27/04/17 »
Ah that makes sense

Thanks

buntonn

« Reply #3 on: 13:07:13, 27/04/17 »
How are you finding the Garmin? I am currently thinking about buying the very same unit.
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:46:51, 27/04/17 »
Hello,
Just to add to what sussamb says regarding routes....they show nearest to farthest, so it is not random......My own use of the device is simply to store many waypoints either plotting in from my Memory Maps on screen or inserted when I am in the field.
These to are listed on the device in the order of nearest where you are first etc.
So if I am on Ben Macdhui the sequence will be as it is from that position......very different when the device is switched in my  my back garden 20 Kls. away.  Very useful when you have many waypoints inserted into the device in  several different areas  of Scotland.  You arrive in at start point in say Glen Kingie and there you a few useable waypoints.

dinger

« Reply #5 on: 19:58:52, 28/04/17 »

Ive recently just purchased one and had a slight problem today with it. I planned a route via basecamp and downloaded it on my gps just on the pennines near me using the talktoasty maps, anyway I noticed paths I passed that are not on my maps, and suddenly half my track went missing I was following on the gps just disappeared on screen. Now I was in a open area not trees ect, and suddenly could not work out which direction to travel unless I followed the track back.
Can anyone advise and has this happened to anybody else?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:01:21, 28/04/17 »
Did you load the maps to a card or are they on the device? Exactly what happened as I'm not clear from your description and diagnosing issues when it's  not clear isn't easy  O0
Where there's a will ...

dinger

« Reply #7 on: 21:07:20, 28/04/17 »

I planned a route from basecamp on my pc then downloaded it onto the gps which had seemed to work, anyway halfway following the track on the gps the route disappeared so I was unable to follow it, leaving me in middle of nowhere looking for an alternative route.
Hope that makes sense haha.

dinger

« Reply #8 on: 21:08:50, 28/04/17 »
I think I need to do some more practice with it .
The path was still there but the tracking route I wanted to follow via gps disappeared.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:28:01, 28/04/17 »
Ah light bulb moment.  A route on your device can only have 250 points in it, any over that are truncated.  Is it possible that was the cause?
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:37:32, 28/04/17 »
I got caught that way once myself.
Tips:
Plot your proposed route as a track using BaseCamp or similar then convert it to a route using 250 waypoints as maximum allowable number.
When you have done it, check the map of the route on the gps screen is the shape you are expecting and is not missing a bit.
I always have the proposed track as well as the route stored on the gps, that way if I have a problem with the route, I can follow the track instead.

Solvitur Ambulando

dinger

« Reply #11 on: 21:58:15, 28/04/17 »

I think that was the case actually too many points, thanks for that guys.
Just one other advice of you please guys is I'm planning a trip doing Fairfield horseshoe, even though I normally use paper mapping I want to try the gps again having each fell has a waypoint , Can I just plot cordinations in the gps for each fell and then follow?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:13:48, 28/04/17 »
Sure, but you'll get a straight line route so you'll need to use the display more as an electronic map and navigate as you would with a paper map.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:02:06, 29/04/17 »
Solvitur Ambulando

dinger

« Reply #14 on: 13:27:47, 29/04/17 »

Thanks Ninthace, and all for your feedback.
Ninthace how do I download one of these walks from that link? Ive registered but unsure how to download on my gps.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy