Author Topic: Tick repellant  (Read 8894 times)

SteveCRunner

Re: Tick repellant
« Reply #30 on: 10:24:59, 23/06/17 »
... Tick repellent: Avon's Skin So Soft has a reputation as a bug repellent but you can get real tick repellents ...
This as a mosqituo repellant has actually been tested and published in a medical journal [nofollow]. It was found to be 85% as effective as DEET. Whether it would work as a tick repellant is another question, though.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:02:51, 23/06/17 »
I beleive the US formulation of skin so soft is different to the UK version, so your report may apply only to that formulation, which is not to say the UK version doesn't work but I don't think its been tested in the same way.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 22:18:45, 23/06/17 »
I beleive the US formulation of skin so soft is different to the UK version, so your report may apply only to that formulation, which is not to say the UK version doesn't work but I don't think its been tested in the same way.
I understand it has been used by HM forces  (but perhaps not in a double blind trial  ;) )
« Last Edit: 22:27:26, 23/06/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Stube

« Reply #33 on: 21:40:43, 24/06/17 »
Ashcoombe Farm (one of the outlying Glastonbury campsites) stocks Avon skin so soft for use as a midge/mozzie repellent. 8)

des65

« Reply #34 on: 12:47:06, 15/07/17 »
The best advice is to wear trousers tucked into your boots.

Then every night without fail, shower with plenty of soap before checking your body for ticks.

Ticks are usually on your body for 24 hours before they attach themselves and potentially transmit disease. So if you check each night, you should be able to avoid this.
Love to walk in the Pennine hills.
Dabbling in glamping [nofollow] and relaxing [nofollow]

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 14:22:41, 15/07/17 »
every night without fail, shower with plenty of soap before checking your body for ticks.

Good advice but difficult to follow when you're on a 4-days circuit with wild camping  :(

I've just bought a O'Tom Tick Twister to complement my Trix Tick Lasso.

des65

« Reply #36 on: 14:38:46, 15/07/17 »
Good advice but difficult to follow when you're on a 4-days circuit with wild camping  :(

I've just bought a O'Tom Tick Twister to complement my Trix Tick Lasso.

4 days without any kind of bathing? I would be visiting some streams.

Water based wet wipes might be an option > http://www.boots.com/waterwipes-baby-wipes-chemical-free-sensitive-60-wipes-10154294 [nofollow]
Love to walk in the Pennine hills.
Dabbling in glamping [nofollow] and relaxing [nofollow]

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 15:18:20, 15/07/17 »

4 days without any kind of bathing? I would be visiting some streams.

Water based wet wipes might be an option > http://www.boots.com/waterwipes-baby-wipes-chemical-free-sensitive-60-wipes-10154294

So called chemical free wipes are just wet tissues (presumably water is not a chemical  ::) )
 What is wrong with a wet cloth?
Solvitur Ambulando

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 16:15:34, 15/07/17 »
I don't believe they don't attach for 24 hours, unless you can attribute that info to a scientific paper.  I check my dogs twice a day, and they can certainly pick them up on a half hour walk-attached, not just in their fur. And I found one embedded on my leg after walking in long grass.

There is a myth that you can't catch Lyme's diseaese until they have been attached for 24 hours but even that appears to be unproven. (Check out Lyme's disease website, hard science on lyme.

Lidls do wet toilet paper sheets for about 45p which are great for freshening up, and unlike most wetwipes they are flushable and biodegradable.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

chip

« Reply #39 on: 18:31:52, 15/07/17 »
I can't believe this,
Hi, this is my first post.

I have recently become interested in starting walking and bought some boots, rucksack and some lightweight waterproofs with the view to start walking some sections of the London loop as it is very local.

I then happened upon some articles on ticks and lymes disease, then spent two days reading nowt else scaring myself whitless.
I then stumbled on this forum and thought great maybe I may be able to regain some perspective but low and behold the very first thread I find is on ticks.  :o  Now I fear I will never leave the house again.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:01:56, 15/07/17 »
4 days without any kind of bathing?

You'd think it would deter the ticks, but it doesn't :) . Just make sure you stand upwind of me.

Welcome to the forum, Chip. I think you're in considerably less danger of picking up ticks on the London Loop, but you never know. Deer are said to be carriers, and there are lots of muntjac around the green belt, not to mention occasional roe and fallow deer. But I've never had one in the south-east, the hotspot for me personally is Snowdonia National Park.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 22:03:11, 15/07/17 »
Hi chip, welcome to the forum.  Don't let a fear of ticks put you off walking.  If you take precautions like not wearing shorts and tucking your trousers in your socks there is very little risk.  I am in my 70's and have been walking all my life but I have not once seen a tick.  I recently bought a tick removal tool just as a precaution, but I doubt I shall ever need to use it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 22:05:12, 15/07/17 »
Hi chip.  Welcome to the forum.  I can tell straight away you're not one of those mentally deficient morons who joins the forum to post what appears to be a generic script about starting walking and buying all the gear, etc. then never logging on again.  So, with that in mind, you are wise to be concerned. Not only are there ticks just waiting for a juicy human body to latch on to, there's also midges, horseflies, biting ants, adders, a variety of poisonous and/or prickly plants, highly strung cows and horses, aggressive sheep, barbed wire, falling rocks, fast flowing streams, precipitous drops, being injured.. alone.. in the middle of nowhere.. with no phone signal, blisters...

Yes, you are right to be scared and staying at home, quivering in a corner is probably your safest bet.  Don't even venture outside at all - you might get squashed by a bus  O0

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 22:25:43, 15/07/17 »
You forgot to mention dogs, sunburn and lightning, Mel.

Welcome to the forum, Chip. It's a scary world out there but so much fun. I think the tick thing is very regional, we get loads here in Somerset, the grass is long and often damp and plenty of deer around. I don't worry about them, just know how to deal with them if you do get one on you, but it's unlikely to happen.

Enjoy your London loop and come back and tell us about it (with piccies :) ).
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

chip

« Reply #44 on: 23:51:00, 15/07/17 »
Thanks for all your sympathy ;) .
I used to shoot HFT for several years which is a target sport mainly shot in woodland, fields or meadows which meant I spent most weekends crawling around in the undergrowth somewhere, and ticks never crossed my mind. And I have only ever seen one in my life on the back of a hedgehog that strayed into my garden.

But since reading all about ticks on the tinternet I imagine hordes of them just waiting sinisterly out there for me like a plot from a Hollywood creepy crawler based block buster.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy