Author Topic: Brown Knoll  (Read 977 times)

Robnolan

Brown Knoll
« on: 20:01:42, 08/05/17 »
I popped over to the Peak District at the weekend and decided to head up to Brown Knoll.
I had read a new path had been put in, but was pleasantly surprised that the path was right across from Rushup Edge to the top of Jacobs Ladder.
In my opinion one of the finest views in the Peaks is now easily accessible. Previously, Brown Knoll was only to be tackled after near drought conditions, such was the depth of the mud.
It also makes the Edale Skyline a fine day out.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: Brown Knoll
« Reply #1 on: 23:09:51, 08/05/17 »
Yes, they've done a great job, haven't they? I'm looking forward to the time when the ecosystem recovers up there the same way it has at Black Hill - what a beautiful sight it'll be in summer when all that eroded peat has been replaced by cotton grass, bobbing in the breeze.

Mick wmexile

« Reply #2 on: 11:19:35, 09/05/17 »
Last year when I done the Edale skyline route, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had started paving Brown Knoll. Only in parts though, leaving stretches of 100 metres or so, enough to get ankle deep in peat bog. I done the same walk about 5/6 weeks ago as part of fitness training for C2C this coming weekend. Yeah, what a great job they've done of it, linking Rushup Edge onto Kinder is now a breeze, great for eating a couple of miles away quickly on what is a relatively boring area
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:12:56, 10/05/17 »
Dave and I walked the whole length of the new path last weekend. What a change from our previous visit! :-)

Skip

PeakerBoo

« Reply #4 on: 11:45:43, 10/05/17 »
I also read about the new path so walked Brown Knoll on my own with the dog about a month ago. The path is excellent but I can imagine before the path was built that it was somewhat treacherous and definitely not to be done alone.

I added the Knoll onto a hike that started in Edale up Grindsbrook, around to Kinder Low trig point then across Brown Knoll. Finishing the circle by descending from Mam Tor made for a good day out.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:31:42, 10/05/17 »
I also read about the new path so walked Brown Knoll on my own with the dog about a month ago. The path is excellent but I can imagine before the path was built that it was somewhat treacherous and definitely not to be done alone.

I visited the trig from the stile NW of it a few times but I never ventured any further than that into Brown Knoll's heart before this new path was laid. And looking at the groughs between the summit and Rushup Edge from the new path I'm glad I didn't attempt it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy