Author Topic: Blister Advice  (Read 1196 times)

Jor13

Blister Advice
« on: 21:34:32, 08/05/17 »
hi everyone.

In march I attempted a 100k continuous walk that was sadly called off half way round due to dangerous weather conditions, so not to be put off, I am now enrolled for the 100k race to the stones in July.

The problem, the blisters! 50k in and my feet were a mess, I'm talking blisters on top of blisters!

Both little toes, outer heel edge, ball and big toes!

My wonderful, slipper like boots that I had been training in for months turned in to something akin an iron maiden!

So what am I doing wrong, my boots a size 6.5 (usual shoes are a 6), 1000 mile lined socks and Vaseline both changed/refreshed at 20k & 35k.

Its the one thing that is scaring me the most, the pain on that 50k when the ones on my heel burst, oh my life!

Anyway, any advice would be great, I am so determined if petrified to finish it this time!

Jo x

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Blister Advice
« Reply #1 on: 22:06:52, 08/05/17 »
 Firstly,get rid of the boots however comfortable they are unless the entry requirements dictate that boots must be worn.I used trail running shoes for ultra distance and they were more than adequate.Everyone seems to have different ideas to foot care during these events so its going to be a matter of trial and error to find out what works best for you.This link might help.http://www.badwater.com/university/foot-care-for-kiehls-badwater-2007-ultramarathon/

What are you doing wrong? Nothing really,just learning as you progress.Its a tough game but if you are determined you will finish.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:50:24, 10/05/17 »
Footwear comfort is essential for such a lengthy Challenge walk.
Back in the good old day's of the 1980s, when i took part in regular Challenge walks, it was never compulsory to wear boots, the organisers were more strict on clothing such as full waterproofs and warm clothing.
I can remember some walkers wearing trainers, and even though the organisers frowned upon their use, it was presumed that the wearer was sufficiently experienced enough to choose which footwear suited them best.

Comfort is everything over very long distances, as is the correct socks. and 1000mile twin skin socks are amongst the best.

Jor13

« Reply #3 on: 20:21:11, 21/05/17 »
Thanks both, interestingly I was thinking of getting some good trial runners instead of my boots. I have cheap pair that I've been walking in recently

Moon Raker

« Reply #4 on: 21:31:19, 21/05/17 »

I am about to enter "Race to the Stones" 100k in 24 hours

I have been training  with trail runners Addidas Terrex Boost and found that I need more support around the ankles. I have been out on the Ridgeway 4 / 5 times since Jan, did the Ridgeway 40 2 weeks ago and the ground was quite hard and unforgiving.

I have switched to Addidas Terrex Swift Mid GTX which I am quite happy with although I may buy a larger size so I can use some gel innersoles

I don`t wear any special socks just the normal ones I wear to work, although I have taken to wearing my boots at work in the office.

You may need to get a larger boot / shoe if your normal size is 6 I don not think 6.5 will allow for your feet to expand

Moon Raker

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:00:03, 21/05/17 »
i disagree about getting rid of the boots, if they feel comfy and are a good fit I would persevere. 4 days into the c2c I had similar blisters to you, big toes and ball of feet behind big toes. I strapped them up well with compeed and micropore tape, then when they had improved I strapped them up with hunks of elastoplast fabric plasters and micropore tape, fresh every morning, until the end of the walk. I got through the rest of the walk with no more discomfort and no further blisters. My boots are very comfy and never had a problem on shorter walks, so I think if you change boots there@s no guarantee you won't have the same problem when you walk a long distance. Make sure your sock fit well, and don't bunch inside the boot. Maybe change your socks (wetwipe your feet) halfway through the day and check your taping up.

Incidentally my shoe size is 6.5 and my boots and decent trainers are 6.5 too, though I have quite narrow feet so spread is not an issue.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:40:53, 22/05/17 »
So much has been written about blisters! I've read about hardening your feet, alcohol rubs, creams, the best socks, change your boots, Vaseline and a lot more. I don't now believe a word of it! I've had blisters, really bad ones but they are well in my past now.

The best advice I had was to buy womens boots (narrower ankles) and since I started to do this, for me no more blisters! Its not really that simple however, the tingles and signs that a blister could start can be always there so I have developed my own routine for MY feet. Every time I stop I take my socks off and turn them inside out, I massage my feet, (heaven!) and then rub them with a wet flannel and just let them dry. When I'm ready to go again I put my socks back on, inside out and off I go to the next stop.

As regards hardening the feet, sorry I don't subscribe to this idea! I have soft flexible skin and I'm sure that because, as I walk my skin 'gives' so I am less inclined to blisters. If I had hard skin I feel confident that it would encourage blisters, not stop them. Other people I'm sure have different views on this but I am now happy to walk day after day without blister discomfort.

I do get sore feet, underneath mainly, I put that down to the effect of walking long distance, the type of terrain travelled over, rocky or not and the weight of the rucksack on my back.

Of course footwear and fit is most important as well. Ive just walked 12 days along mainly rocky landscapes. I'd bought a pair of Brasher Superlites a couple of months before and they behaved fantastically! So comfortable (even on the rocky footpaths) and not a twinge of a blister at all, in feel or in sight! Sore bottoms of my feet though, carrying a rucksack for so long, twisting around on rocks for day after day does take its toll but definitely no blisters!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy