Author Topic: CAR GRAVEYARD in north essex or south suffolk location  (Read 5195 times)

Themightyrat

Hi there .
 I wonder if anyone can help with a lost car graveyard.
 a couple of years ago I was walking down a country lane and to my left (I know it all depends what way I am going) was a small wood next to the lane and in there were loads of cars. there were loads of different types from the me type of car(fiesta) to the posher motors like Porsche convertables, merc soft tops and even more expensive motors. i realized it was someones back garden as at the end was a house that all I can say was in need of major tlc, borded up windows,rubbish and dirty curtains.all the cars had plants and trees growing through them so obviously it had been like this for some time. next to the house ran another little lane and directly next door(it could even have been the same property) was a big solid metal gate and had quite a few motors behind that too,there were also a couple of little cottages opposite that were well kept and looked lovely and I thought hey they must be gutted that they had that to look over each day.
 When I go walking i highlight my os map with a highlighter as I go so I know where I have been,  I don't generally do named walks,i make them up as I go along and make them circular back to my car(unless I go with a walking group) and then if I want I can do it again at a later date as I have them routed out. when I come across something of interest I normally write this on the map for later reference. for some reason I didn't do this with this car graveyard and I am gutted as I wanted to show someone who I know would be interested in seeing it too.
  I normally go walking in the north Essex/south Suffolk area so I reckon this place is around here somewhere.
  if someone out there has seen this place too and can remember where it is could you let me know please I would be well chuffed to know the location.
                                   cheers for reading... simon.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Re: CAR GRAVEYARD in north essex or south suffolk location
« Reply #1 on: 00:48:09, 12/05/17 »
Good luck Simon, I know how you feel - having been to places, often many years ago, only to struggle now in remembering where they are.
I began walking with my Granddad, years ago, who took me to a quarry that was used as a car dumping ground. He thought  it was funny that I used to like to see the 'bangers'.
I have no idea where this place was/is ... I'm not even sure it really existed - it's that long since I went there (only me & him knew where it was).
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:02:46, 12/05/17 »
Might be this place https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/rural-sites/29408-abandoned-cottage-car-graveyard.html#.WRVbqdy1tLM

I believe the cars have now been cleared.

There are/were a lot of these places in the UK until the law changed and owners had to clear the scrap unless they obtained a licence (unlikely).

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:20:45, 12/05/17 »
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/jaguar-grave-yard-sussex-oct-16.t105633 ??

BTW - this 28 Days Later website is superb if you want some unusual places to visit. Some of the mines I've been down from recommendations on here were amazing.
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:26:51, 13/05/17 »
These kinds of places are not that uncommon. I occasionally chance upon abandoned looking outbuildings and there always seems to be a few old vehicles looking equally unloved and derelict, some of which are of classic status and I'd imagine worth a few quid even in spares alone.

On a particular walk near to me in Kent, there's a path that cuts through some heavy woodland where just a few yards from the path I spotted an upturned car all covered with undergrowth, not a modern car but obviously an old relic that has been there for many years. How it got there I have no idea, but after some careful poking around I managed to identify it and to this day, the old Rover is still there. I'd imagine there's a few spares of use to someone.

Walking through woodland can certainly turn up the strangest encounters!
roll on the weekend

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:47:33, 15/05/17 »
Try Ship Lane, a turning off the B1007 south of the A12 at Galleywood. It's the 2nd on the left (east) after the twin roundabouts over the A12.

I went there with a small group of people in 2013 to look at a rare plant in Temple Wood on the corner (no prizes for guessing what sort of plant). During the 15 or so minutes we were there, any number of dodgy-looking motors passed us, containing even dodgier-looking big Essex guys sporting gold earrings and eyeing us with suspicion, until eventually a really spivvy fellow walked up and demanded to know what we were up to.

We learnt that he had a car scrap yard up the road, which he not very convincingly claimed was private, and were there not about 10 of us I am sure we would have been bundled out of it, in spite of our insistence we were just harmless botanists.

P.S. Go there at your own risk, and it wasn't me that told you, right?

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:54:06, 16/05/17 »
Sounds like a scene from 'Snatch'  ;D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:24:57, 16/05/17 »
I came across the Rover and Citroen in the picture below in a pub car park that a footpath took me through in August 2013.
I am not 100% certain but I think it was the Crooked Billet at Stoke Row, which is on the Oxfordshire side of the Chilterns.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy