Author Topic: Your diet on a long-distance walk  (Read 286 times)

sol

Your diet on a long-distance walk
« on: 22:40:34, 19/05/17 »
Hi,
Could you share how your diet looks like on a long-distance walk?
It'd be great to get different ideas  :)
Thanks!

Islandplodder

Re: Your diet on a long-distance walk
« Reply #1 on: 10:12:47, 20/05/17 »

Main thing is eat lots.
I tend to use b&bs and hostels, so can eat plenty of breakfast, take things like oatcakes, cheese (eg babybels)  or the odd hard boiled egg for lunch, and try to get a proper meal in the evening.
The thing to remember is that you are using lots of calories, even more if you are carrying a tent etc, and they need to be replaced.  Dried food is handy because it is usually light; if I have to carry food for the evening I tend to start with a pack of Jamie Oliver couscous and add stuff to it like cheese, a tin of sardines or some people swear by pepperarami sausage. 
Things like cereal bars and dried fruit and nuts are handy for snacks, but I do remember starting the Pennine Way all virtuous with trail mix and ending up with twix bars.
And if you pass a shop, a café or a chippy and haven't had a proper meal for a while, make the most of it.
And eat lots. If you are hungry you get tired, fed up and in my case end up making navigational errors which only compounds the misery.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:20:37, 20/05/17 »
My diet of choice on c2c (after a bit of experimenting) was eggs (scrambled), bacon, toast, fruit, yogurt, coffee for breakfast, but instant porridge on other days, a plainish sandwich because I didn't always eat it so it would keep till next day. Banana, crisps, and something sweet, tracker bar or kitkat type thing. Got a bit sick of sweet stuff but they do top up the energy levels when your flagging. Evenings, a proper dinner and sometimes dessert if it was included. And half a pint of beer when it was available. Porridge days meant an early banana break, not needed on the egg days. Plenty of water -something I've never been good at, but hydration bladder helped a lot so if you don't have one I would consider it.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:46:24, 20/05/17 »
My diet is lots of water (I never drinks any fizzy drinks anyway even in day to day life), lots of beer and a fair amount of wine.

I don't cook en-route but carry a variety of nuts, breakfast bikki things, plain yoghurt and other instant foods, including the odd bar of chocolate plus the odd can of custard or tinned rice. That's only for during the day. I have the odd restaurant meal during the day but not often.

In the evenings I will have tagliatelle, spaghetti, the odd pizza and the odd salad, plus other meals that appear interesting on a menu at the time.

TinTin

« Reply #4 on: 12:24:05, 20/05/17 »
On my c2c (b&b's) breakfast was a bowl of muesli with fresh fruit, plain yogurt and milk all thrown in, scrambled eggs and beans on toast (except first and last days when I treated myself to a full English) 2 or 3 extra slices of toast. Lunch was a basic sandwich plus banana and apple. Evening whatever I fancied to eat - including a cracking curry in Kirkby Stephen and a couple of pints of wherever possible the local beer. I had a couple of energy bars in my pack but they were still in when I got back. 

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:56:12, 20/05/17 »

I mainly backpack and like to avoid towns. I use Expedition Foods dehydrated stuff, it is 800Kcal per serving which is better than most. I carry cuppa porridge for breakfasts (although Expedition foods porridge with strawberries is fantastic), flapjack - often homemade, bags of mixed nuts and mixed dried fruit. I also make my own biltong which gives me extra protein and weights nowt. In winter I sometimes carry preserved meats like chorizo - it does not go off if you eat it in a few days and I might also carry some cheese like parmesan which is hard and high in fat; these make great breakfasts and are good additions to dried meals like spag bog. I carry tea and sachets of full fat hot chocolate. I will eat in a town if passing - always take the opportunity of a tea shop if there is one.

I often eat less that I really need to on some days to save weight - probably less than 2000Kcal but I only do this if I know I can make a pig of myself after a day or two, that is part of the fun.  I carry a Water-tap filter bottle so I can drink from any river or stream.

I often carry a small plastic bottle of whisky for a treat if I can find a bothy with a good fire.

Stube

« Reply #6 on: 18:01:36, 20/05/17 »
I backpack and try to avoid towns unless I need supplies.
Breakfast is a small amount of cereal (usually Shreddies) and a boiled egg or two. This minimises the need to wash-up.
Lunch is usually a sandwich that I've picked up or a packet of oatcakes with fish (tuna or sardines), possible a fruit bar of some sort.
Dinner would be soup and a dehydrated meal of some sort.
Dried apricots and/or a Kit-Kat serve as desert if required.
Snacks are more dried fruit and nuts.
I'll try to grab a meal in a passing pub either lunch or dinner if possible with a pint of shandy for the extra calories.
I make a small flask of coffee in the morning for use during the day or as a reviver before I pitch the tent. I also use a water tap with filter to reduce the amount of water I need to carry.
I'll usually start out with 6 eggs and lunches and dinners for 3 days plus one emergency meal (which I hope not to need) and then resupply as necessary every 5/6 days.
« Last Edit: 18:11:24, 20/05/17 by Stube »

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 20:19:47, 20/05/17 »
I try and get one pub meal or cooked breakfast each day, or both.I do a menu plan so I know if pubs and cafe's are available on route so I have to carry as little food as necessary. Usually carry three breakfasts, (porridge or breakfast bars) and two dinners.
Not easy on my recent Glyndwrs Way completion, 7 camping nights, 2 BnB. I was having double porridge sachets and extra Nido milk for bkfast sometimes followed by an all day veggy bkfast later in the day and a pub meal where possible.I might buy a sandwich a day and snicker bar for lunch.
My guess is one burns 4500 calories in a days walking -relying on stove grub is unlikely to compensate unless lots is carried.I did use up my dinners.
I only weigh 60 kg and still manage to lose weight with above hiker appetite.
« Last Edit: 20:25:38, 20/05/17 by Doddy »