Author Topic: Pain in the neck  (Read 1731 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Pain in the neck
« on: 04:38:06, 24/05/17 »
After walking the Cleveland way I've been getting a pain ij th neck by end of the day any suggestions?
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Pain in the neck
« Reply #1 on: 08:09:13, 24/05/17 »
Change of companion ;)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:06:59, 24/05/17 »
It's most likely to do with posture. One of the main causes of neck (and shoulder) pain is due to 'hunching' and lifting the head to look forward, this causes a compression of the nerve in the nape of the neck. Very common with people who spend a lot of time on the computer (of course this doesn't apply to anyone on this forum  ;) ).

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #3 on: 11:14:03, 24/05/17 »
I hope this is something that goes away quickly. If it doesn't clear up with painkillers etc please go to your GP.

I've had almost 6 weeks of agony for a pain I ignored in my neck on the left hand side. It moved to my right shoulder and I've now got slightly less pain but no sensation between my right elbow and wrist. My right hand is constantly numb and tingling.

My GP initially thought it was muscular and I have a physio assessment in a fortnight and it seems more likely to be a trapped nerve and neurological.

I've started using a stress ball to make my hand work and have started using 1kg weights to maintain my arms and movement as I can manage them without it hurting. I figure if it's muscular it makes sense to make it work as it recovers and if it's a trapped nerve I will lose muscle if I don't use it.

I might be doing the wrong thing medically but my body is suffering more by waiting around doing nothing and finally my right hand feels like it has some strength in it.

I really hope your pain isn't too bad. I really feel for you.

wobblyknees

« Reply #4 on: 11:20:59, 24/05/17 »
Sometimes happens to me on long steep descents over rough or boggy ground when head is bent over looking for a secure spot to place my feet. Always goes away though after a few minutes on the flat.

Maybe the accumulated descent of the Cleveland hills is a factor.

I hope it clears up soon.

Edit. Are you a birdwatcher? I am and know well how the weight of binoculars around the neck for long periods can cause some pain.
« Last Edit: 11:58:06, 24/05/17 by wobblyknees »

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:57:32, 24/05/17 »
Change of companion ;)

:2funny:

In all seriousness though, think about your backpack, is it sitting too high on your back forcing your head forward, are you hunching your shoulders, do you get the same sort of pain after walking without a backpack, all things to consider really.

« Last Edit: 12:00:44, 24/05/17 by Bhod »
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:02:33, 24/05/17 »
Check the fit of your pack to ensure it is not affecting your posture, stand shoulders back, head high - is it comfortable or are you compensating in some way. Trekking poles, properly adjusted and used correctly will improve your posture too (pacerpoles are particularly good for this). Try to walk tall rather than look down - look ahead to select your line rather than at the ground just in front.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:27:48, 24/05/17 »
madame cholet if the pain continues after following the good advice given so far and particularly if you get any numbness, tingling, in your arms or hands, I would visit your doctor.

@ Scrambledlegs. Have you had any scans or xrays? I would be asking for one with your symptoms of numbness/tingling lasting so long.
Hate will never win

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #8 on: 16:25:02, 24/05/17 »
madame cholet if the pain continues after following the good advice given so far and particularly if you get any numbness, tingling, in your arms or hands, I would visit your doctor.

@ Scrambledlegs. Have you had any scans or xrays? I would be asking for one with your symptoms of numbness/tingling lasting so long.

Hi April,

My hubby has said the same re pushing for scans. I've been moaning for weeks on end now.

I saw my GP over a fortnight ago and he referred me to physio and has said they will re-assess my shoulder (26th June). I can only think they will refer me then for an MRI if needed. I've done so much reading up on it now that I'm convinced it's a trapped nerve and theres no conclusive advise I can find on how long it takes to heal or if it will flare up again. My doctor's seem to have no appointments (or interest) when I call and I've had 3 further phone call consultations so far and feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. I'm not sure what will happen long term but I've definitely noticed the strength improving when I excercise and I haven't got any symptoms of a stroke so fingers crossed.

I'm going up to the summit of mount Teide on the 22nd of June and I'm refusing to let anything get in the way  :D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:00:38, 24/05/17 »
Hi scrambled legs

Your hubby is right (sometimes they can be!) you need to push for an mri scan and or xray if you don't get any better. Your problem does seem like it is coming from your neck. As the pain started in your neck first before the other things started, shoulder pain, tingling and numbness in your arm and hand. It does sound like a trapped nerve or nerve root irritation. It depends what is causing that nerve impingement whether it is something that will resolve on its own or not. Keep on at the doc if the physios don't help and you don't get better.

Your 1kg weights won't be doing any damage if you are able to use them without the pain getting worse or the tingling increasing. But gan canny!  I love your fighting spirit, Mount Teide will have some new summiteers on 22 June  O0
Hate will never win

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:32:10, 24/05/17 »
It's only at the end of the day when carrying the backpack and soon goes so I'm wonderingif a good walking shop like Cotswolds where I spent £200 on boots last year might help.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

staggerindragon

« Reply #11 on: 06:04:08, 25/05/17 »
Is your pack's hip belt low enough that your pack weight is mostly off the shoulder straps and redistributed through a firm back panel or frame onto your pelvis?  My neck and shoulders are still getting revenge for my kayaking days, but finding the right pack fit helps a lot.  :P

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:48:34, 25/05/17 »
It's only at the end of the day when carrying the backpack and soon goes so I'm wonderingif a good walking shop like Cotswolds where I spent £200 on boots last year might help.

Then it very much sounds like a posture related issue rather than any underlying injury, there are various neck excercises you can do to build up core strength on the neck muscles, altering the way your backpack sits could be another way to help alleviate the problem.  Certainly have a word with Cotswold, especially if you bought your pack from there, they will help make sure it fits properly and is properly adjusted.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

buntonn

« Reply #13 on: 08:35:58, 25/05/17 »
Sorry to hear about the discomfort you have in your neck, there has been some good advise here relating to exercise and I have to agree with about this could well be related to posture. As Bhod said go and get your backpack checked so it's fitting right and from what I have read getting into this, ensure you're packing your bag correctly for weight distribution to your back too, this might well have a knock on effect to your posture.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon and do let us know how you get on.

Good luck
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

Kukkudrill

« Reply #14 on: 20:12:48, 25/05/17 »
Wonder whether the centre of gravity of your backpack could be too far away from your back, causing you to hunch forward to compensate for it. Packing things differently might be an answer.
Make the most of the available light

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy