Author Topic: leaving the comfort behind  (Read 2606 times)

sol

leaving the comfort behind
« on: 22:05:07, 24/05/17 »

Hey,
Have you had the cope with leaving your comfort zone and comfort lifestyle, and undertake a several weeks (/months) trek?
It's kind of hard accepting that you'll give up some of the food you love, your home habits, sleeping in your bed...
I'd love to hear about it from you  :)

buntonn

Re: leaving the comfort behind
« Reply #1 on: 08:39:45, 25/05/17 »
It's not something I have done, but if I had the chance to do that now, yeah i'd do that without hesitation for the experience!  You have to make the most of the life you live so why not.  I have got myself out my comfort zone a few times in relation to other sports and as hard work it was I loved it, no regrets and would do it again or even push myself further now.

Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:59:40, 25/05/17 »
That's why I like hiking and camping. I live in a centrally heated house, double glazing, favourite chair, trips to Tesco, dishwasher, TV, PC, the internet and so on. When at home I always live comfortably. Just a thought went through my head, do you know what, I haven't washed up for years! Amazing!

When I hike I'm in another world, rain, cold, heat, hunger, anxiety, mood changes, darkness, etc all things we are insulated from in our houses. The point I try to get to quickly is that moment when my daily routine stops, I don't get out of my tent, put the kettle on a 7 am and have a cup of tea with a bowl of muesli. In fact, when I get out of my tent I can do what I like and when I like.

At home I make my wife a cup of tea at 8.15, that's our agreement, that's our routine. When I'm away I please myself!

buntonn

« Reply #3 on: 20:28:06, 25/05/17 »
That's why I like hiking and camping. I live in a centrally heated house, double glazing, favourite chair, trips to Tesco, dishwasher, TV, PC, the internet and so on. When at home I always live comfortably. Just a thought went through my head, do you know what, I haven't washed up for years! Amazing!

When I hike I'm in another world, rain, cold, heat, hunger, anxiety, mood changes, darkness, etc all things we are insulated from in our houses. The point I try to get to quickly is that moment when my daily routine stops, I don't get out of my tent, put the kettle on a 7 am and have a cup of tea with a bowl of muesli. In fact, when I get out of my tent I can do what I like and when I like.

At home I make my wife a cup of tea at 8.15, that's our agreement, that's our routine. When I'm away I please myself!

Well said, I like that  ;D O0
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

DK

« Reply #4 on: 23:12:21, 25/05/17 »
Hey,
Have you had the cope with leaving your comfort zone and comfort lifestyle, and undertake a several weeks (/months) trek?
It's kind of hard accepting that you'll give up some of the food you love, your home habits, sleeping in your bed...
I'd love to hear about it from you 

There will be others on here, who like me had that as a way of life for 22 plus years of our lives in return for the Queen's shilling
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:21:04, 26/05/17 »

There will be others on here, who like me had that as a way of life for 22 plus years of our lives in return for the Queen's shilling

Indeed, Aunty Betty had a wicked sense of timing too when she decided to offer you another "opportunity" for new and interesting experiences.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:08:23, 26/05/17 »
I believe the Phrase is, "Getting away from it all." O0   And like most of us modern weekend adventures.  I'm usually very happy to get back to my comfy chair after a while.   ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:53:58, 26/05/17 »
I'm quite happy to escape the creature comforts of TV, mobile phones, computers and such like.  Creature comforts like a flushing toilet and a hot shower I still prefer access to.  Couldn't care less about not having make up or a hairdryer or the latest designer fashion clothes.  Food might be a problem as I quickly get sick of fast food stodge and pre-packed sandwiches - even pub grub gets a bit meh after a couple of days.  I think struggle with not being able to have real home cooked food the most.

My daily routine is governed by going to work so to escape that routine for even a short while is actually bliss.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:31:21, 26/05/17 »
It IS still routine!

Your employers give you a week's holiday, and you end up fitting everything into a timetable. One day to drive to where you want to walk, four days walking, one or two days to rest and recuperate, one day to drive home, that's your week gone. Then when you're back home everything has to be dried, aired, laundered, etc.

My wild camping is nothing but repetitive chores: get dressed in the morning, make a drink, make my breakfast, wash myself, pack my gear up, unpitch the tent. Same old same old. Even the bit where I hoist my rucksack onto my back and have a last look around while I'm adjusting the straps has a "done this before" feel about it. One o'clock? Stop for lunch at the next stream! Six o'clock - keep an eye out for somewhere to camp for the night. And so on.

But I must now confess that I love it, because it's different routine from that at home, while the walking bits can be magical. Who knows what you will see today!What views might reveal themselves, how many photos will you find to take? What routefinding challenges might you be faced with, or possible obstacles to overcome?

I've only been back a couple of weeks from one such trip and I'm already planning the next one which will be in four months' time! 

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:13:12, 27/05/17 »
Plenty of people up and down the country do it every night and have little choice in the matter.its called being homeless.We are just playing at it and can stop anytime we like and go back to our comforts.

KimE

« Reply #10 on: 17:45:29, 27/05/17 »
Iam at home then I have pitched my tent and still in my comfort zone. I have worked in the forest for 25y and beguinn to make my own trekking/fishing trips then I were 12. To leave my comfortzone I go to cities.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:28:28, 28/05/17 »
..................... To leave my comfortzone I go to cities.

I had to be in London on Thursday - not been for some years and was surprised just how completely out of my comfort zone I was.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Sloth

« Reply #12 on: 10:24:35, 28/05/17 »
Something about doing this appeals to the ascetic in me, despite being an atheist! Living life simply, allowing me time for myself and time for me to think and simply be.  These are great pleasures for me that counter any loss of 'comforts'. I also feel 'changed' after any walk longer than a few days, for the better hopefully!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:31:50, 28/05/17 »
I had to be in London on Thursday - not been for some years and was surprised just how completely out of my comfort zone I was.
Just going to Exeter does it for me!
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:58:48, 28/05/17 »
Just going to Exeter does it for me!
;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy