Author Topic: Hello...again.....and what about Slovenia?  (Read 987 times)

TongaTrev

Hello...again.....and what about Slovenia?
« on: 19:21:31, 25/05/17 »
Hello all,

Hope this will not earn me too harsh a reprimand but I do not have the 'forum seniority' to post in the International forum and the more general forum deals with UK walks so I thought I'd give it a go in here.
I remember the great advice members of this forum provided some years ago when my family and I travelled around southern England and Wales so I'm reaching out to anyone who has been walking/hiking in Slovenia and could advise on where to seek more specific details on rambling in that country. I'm at the very earliest stages of my research so any input would be appreciated.

For instance:  would you consider the following to be the 'Ordnance Survey maps of Slovenia' or are there better options?

https://en.pzs.si/trgovina.php?kat=6 [nofollow]

https://sidarta.si/en/category/maps/ [nofollow]

And.......is it possible to purchase these - or better - maps outside of Slovenia? They do not seem to be on Amazon or the like so is my only option to purchase them directly from the publishers themselves if I want to go over the maps prior to my arrival in Slovenia?

Thanks......and if these questions are inappropriate for this section of the forum, just say so. I apologise and will cease and desist forthwith! :-)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello...again.....and what about Slovenia?
« Reply #1 on: 19:47:20, 25/05/17 »
Just go with it mate! I would love to hike in Slovenia or similar but doubt if I will, still exploring France, that's enough for me at the moment.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:17:05, 05/06/17 »
Slovenia is great - give it a go!

One of the best resources pre-trip are Cicerone Guides - there is at least one for Slovenia:

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/709/title/the-julian-alps-of-slovenia#.WTURf-vyvIU

There is good walking to be had in a number of places, but the usual key bases are Bled, Bohinj and Kranjska Gora, all of which have good routes in/near to them.

Maps are available, but we found buying them in-resort much easier. Be aware that although there are lots of good routes, it's not like the UK with paths going everywhere - more like the alpine model with distinct routes to specific places (lakes, summits, villages, etc). You may need to use a bit of local transport/taxis to get the best out of the area.  

I've hiked from Kranjska Gora and Bohinj, and also in the Karavanke Mountains from Jezersko - drop me a PM if you'd like a bit more info on any of the areas mentioned, and I'll do what I can.

Cheers

Glovepuppet  O0

TongaTrev

« Reply #3 on: 07:36:54, 06/06/17 »
Many thanks for the reply.

I had seen the guidebook in the link but had no info on whether it was considered accurate or not. Good to hear that someone can vouch for it as a helpful guide.

Will definitely drop you a note as our plans materialise. Right now there's a spanner in the works re. time off from the military for one of our group.

Cheers,

TT

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:21:20, 06/06/17 »
Will definitely drop you a note as our plans materialise. Right now there's a spanner in the works re. time off from the military for one of our group.

No problem - just drop me a line when you're ready.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy