Author Topic: Where do I take my 13yr old son walking in Aug?  (Read 1746 times)

buntonn

There has just been a change in plans for the holiday we have planned for August, so the second week it's just me and my son who will have just turned 13. His main home is with my ex wife and they don't live an outdoor life style and do and form of proper exercise or sport so his not fit and needs to loose a few pounds tbh.

So I'm thinking about taking him to the Lake District for the second week in August to walk and I'll take our mountain bikes too. I am sure this isn't the best time of year for crowds and maybe bugs but I can't change that now. Where would be good places to take him with exciting walks not too difficult where he might enjoy it? I'm happy to do a few locations as camping lightweight so quick to setup/teardown.

I'd appreciate any advice here.

Thanks,
Nick

Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Where do I take my 13yr old son walking in Aug?
« Reply #1 on: 07:58:25, 06/06/17 »
SO many choices!

I'll have a think of specifics and get back to you tonight but I would consider a couple of contracting locations so that you can do some none walking stuff if it is not his thing would be a good idea so perhaps Keswick and Buttermere.

How up for the idea of walking up mountains is he?

buntonn

« Reply #2 on: 08:22:30, 06/06/17 »
He is keen to do it which is very good, when he was young we spent a few years going to Glen Nevis in the highlands for holidays, he walked as far as he could with me up Ben Nevis when he was 6. He is just out of shape due to all the xbox time!  I recently got him walking boots and to break them, in I put a partial loaded backpack on him and took him for a 12km walk, some flat and some hills, but nothing like a mountain. He was tired on the step hill but kept going with water. I think this will do him good and might be what he needs a good adventure holiday.

I am sure in his head he would love to go up one of the big ones, so if any are relatively easy/medium then I would just go slow with him and do my best to keep it fun and enjoyable. Maybe one day walking the hills and another cycling around the lakes or something.

He knows I really enjoy this stuff and his super excited to be doing this with just myself as like the next week we are with my partner and her two younger children, so this is some quality dad/son time and I want to make some super memories from it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:15:07, 06/06/17 »
My wife and I consider ourselves very lucky that our son was at least 16 until the internet took off properly. Up until that point we had some pressure from him to have the gadgets and games that his school mates had, but obviously not as much pressure as I think modern day kids have. We refused point blank that any such gadgets and games would cross our doorstep until he was 16+! We were such horrible parents! He was down from Edinburgh last weekend and we can all laugh about that period in our lives now, at least he was able to say, that for him, he now believes that our attitude at the time was right. As he said, at least he managed to get two masters degrees and has put down to the fact that he never feels distracted by gadgetry, even today he only has a mobile, but his mates did and were always under pressure to catch up!

Sorry about the preamble but I've often wondered if there is a correlation between modern technology and its all embracing capture of young minds and what seems to be and I know I'm really generalizing here, but as I personally experience it, a lack of adventure, motivation, drive, energy and the enjoyment of 'actual real life', in people that I personally would call 'young'? I'm speaking now as a pub local, the number of 'young' people that I come in contact with who have, as I see it, hardly any quality of life whatsoever, all centered around, booze, fags and living in the bubble of their screens!

I think the Lake District is a great place for young people, I remember when I my son 'walked' up his first mountain, it was Cat Bells, he was around 2yrs old and he walked, I dragged (he was on reigns) and I carried him up to the top and then down again. I don't know if your son would be interested but I believe their is a zip wire, Ferrata, etc up at the mines south of Keswick. I'd love to have a go but have not made it their yet. I also believe that there are some well liked and respected off-road mountain bike routes nearby as well. Have fun!

buntonn

« Reply #4 on: 09:34:45, 06/06/17 »
Thanks gunwharfman.

the number of 'young' people that I come in contact with who have, as I see it, hardly any quality of life whatsoever, all centered around, booze, fags and living in the bubble of their screens!

I totally agree with that statement, people are obsessed with screens today!

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:54:24, 06/06/17 »
I don't know if you are into geo-caching but it is a great way of combining walking and youngsters. The aim of seeking and finding something just gives that bit of a boost if energy and/or interest are flagging. You don't need a GPS - there is an app for the smart phone which works as long as you have pre-landed the caches.

Othe things you could do
Vosut the mines at Honisetr and combine with a walk up FLeetwith Pike. Starting from a pass makes it a bit less effort - you don't want to totally exhaust him or ut him off!!

Whinlatter and Grizedale forests have the Go Ape and Mountain Biking trails. Again from Whinlatter you wan walk up onto the fells and get some great views.

Bota partway down Derwentwater (other waters are available) and walk back

Whatever you do, have fun!

buntonn

« Reply #6 on: 12:16:55, 06/06/17 »
Thanks Sarah, I did actually recently install the geo-caching app on my phone but also recently got a Garmin GPS and that has it all on there too so that's a great suggestion  O0

I'll look into the other ideas you mention too as I know I need to keep this quite mixed up and keep it fun.

Thank you for your ideas

Nick

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:09:10, 06/06/17 »
My son and I have had boys week in the Lakes since he was 8, It is great Father and son time. Don't bet on him wanting to do other things apart from walking if he gets in to it. Definitely buy him a Wainwright chart to colour in if this is going to be a regular thing.

As for walks, if you are staying in Keswick then the big one is Skiddaw. Catch the bus to the Ravenstone Hotel then go up Ullock Pike, Long Side and Carl Side before heading up on to Skiddaw and then back to town over Little Man, Jenkin Hill and eventually Latrigg. There is a steep ascent initially and then the final pull up to Skiddaw  but they are worth it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:29:32, 06/06/17 »
If you are taking mountain bikes, there is a biking area in the Whinlatter Pass up past Braithwaite.
Solvitur Ambulando

buntonn

« Reply #9 on: 07:20:44, 07/06/17 »
Thanks Ridge, sounds like you have great fun too with your son too. I'll checkout the wainwrights chart as this isn't going to be a one off for sure.

Thanks ninth ace, I'll check that out.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:02:26, 07/06/17 »
Thanks Ridge, sounds like you have great fun too with your son too.
We do.
Here he is at 13 having 'great fun' in the Lakes

buntonn

« Reply #11 on: 09:08:14, 07/06/17 »
Thanks for sharing, I cannot wait to have the week there with my lad now. I am taking him shopping on Saturday morning for clothing as he only has boots and rucksack right now. Then on to Brands Hatch for the American Speedfest with him including a camp out on Saturday night, so super weekend lined up  :)

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:48:03, 07/06/17 »
If you think he'd like to do a big one then Great Gable from Honister might be a good one. A good chunk of the climb done by parking at the top of the pass and the views are incredible from the top - a real reward for the hard work. Look at the 77 bus - allows you to do non-circular walks - e.g. Bus to Honister, Great Gable, return to Borrowdale via Styhead.

DK

« Reply #13 on: 11:18:26, 09/06/17 »
I always find Helm Crag, Gibson knott, Calf Crag and back to Grassmere through Far Easedale is a great starter walk to share with 'newbies'. The views (on a clear day) punch way above the minimum effort needed to enjoy this great liitle circuit  O0
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

buntonn

« Reply #14 on: 14:45:08, 09/06/17 »
Thanks for the routes  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy