Author Topic: Wild Moor and Burbage Edge  (Read 2001 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Wild Moor and Burbage Edge
« on: 17:24:19, 08/06/17 »
I'm so behind with my walking blog that the continental plates probably will have shifted by the time I catch up and all my descriptions of the landscape will be out of date... But I've finally managed to tick one more off - or perhaps I should say one moor. This was a circular walk I did last month from Buxton onto Wild Moor, down towards Errwood Reservoir and then back to Buxton via Burbage Edge. I'd walked the other side of the Goyt Valley before (up to Shining Tor and Cats Tor) but I'd never explored the eastern half of it and I found it really fascinating, well worth visiting.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, plant, grass, outdoor and nature
The tiny gate between civilised Buxton and Wild Moor...

Image may contain: grass, sky, mountain, plant, outdoor and nature
A closed off tunnel from the Cromford and High Peak Railway that once ran through here.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, grass, mountain, tree, plant, outdoor and nature
Wild Moor stretching out below.

Image may contain: plant, flower, grass, nature and outdoor
Cuckoo flower, perhaps? It was growing in marshy ground by a stream.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, plant, mountain, tree, grass, outdoor, nature and water
Errwood and Fernilee Reservoirs.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, grass, outdoor and nature
Looking north to Combs Moss from the trig on Burbage Edge (a very hazy Kinder just visible on the horizon behind).

As always the full write-up and more photos (plus a couple of dodgy-quality phone videos) can be found here:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2017/06/wild-moor-and-burbage-edge.html

Cheers, Adalard.  :)

Murphy

Re: Wild Moor and Burbage Edge
« Reply #1 on: 18:48:25, 08/06/17 »
Yes, this is on the doorstep for me so usually go here and nearby when travelling isn't an option for whatever reason.  It's a great place and plenty of options.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:06:33, 08/06/17 »
great pics adalard  O0
ive never seen A green tiger beetle before 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:02:22, 08/06/17 »
Wonderful to read adalard and great pics to match  O0 I like "train of ramblers". We would normally say something like "Jesus, look at that lot"  ;D
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:35:11, 08/06/17 »
Great TR and photos adalard    :)    It's interesting the proximity of the wild moorland to the elegance of Buxton    :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:10:44, 09/06/17 »
Very good pics O0
not sure I have seen a green tiger beetle either.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:16:45, 09/06/17 »
An excellent and informative TR and blog Adalard. Thanks for posting.

I will send you a PM

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:00:25, 11/06/17 »
Thanks for all the kind comments and feedback, folks! Much appreciated!  O0

ive never seen A green tiger beetle before 8)

not sure I have seen a green tiger beetle either.

I tried for ages to identify it online through various sites, before I asked on Twitter. Probably doesn't help that I am mildly colour blind (red/green).  ;D  He really was a handsome chap. I'd hope the colouration puts predators off, as he stood out quite distinctively when the sun hit him - a bit like that huge cream cake you spot from 20 feet away as soon as you enter a cafe.  ;D

I like "train of ramblers". We would normally say something like "Jesus, look at that lot"  ;D

It took them quite a while to go past - I was sitting there with half-eaten pasty in hand, poised to take another bite but waiting, as I knew once I had a mouth full of food someone would say hello or ask a question...

Yes, this is on the doorstep for me so usually go here and nearby when travelling isn't an option for whatever reason.  It's a great place and plenty of options.

I've been back since for a much shorter evening stroll from Derbyshire Bridge. It really is great, I'm sure I'll be a regular walker around there.

It's interesting the proximity of the wild moorland to the elegance of Buxton    :)

Yes, you'd never guess all this lay just behind the hillside.  :)

I will send you a PM

O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:00:52, 18/06/17 »
Nice photos adalard. I quite like that area of the Goyt Valley as it's often fairly quiet. A lovely walk O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 05:41:07, 19/06/17 »
Nice photos adalard. I quite like that area of the Goyt Valley as it's often fairly quiet. A lovely walk O0

Cheers, Sunnydale.  :)  Yes, it was quiet - aside from the group of walkers I met as I had my lunch I saw very few other people all walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy