Author Topic: Walking in this heat .... advice needed  (Read 6066 times)

Moon Raker

Re: Walking in this heat .... advice needed
« Reply #15 on: 18:34:49, 19/06/17 »
hi all,
I am a cold weather walker, I like it rainy, blustery and well basically just cold.
I've always avoided any challenging walks when the weather turns hot, but the race to the stones is on 15th July and this weather is making me panic!
I know how to keep myself safe in cold weather, but what the heck do you do when it's scorchio!
Gonna be walking right through the day so any advice on keeping cool, avoiding heat stroke, dehydration etc would be great.
Is there any equipment I should be getting? I usually walk in base layer but can't find any bottoms that aren't black 😱
Argh, help please, if you can
Jo

Firstly I would not worry to much now, its is another month until the race and if we are going to get typical UK summers it will be gone before the race

I am doing it also, if this temperature persist then I think that not many people will complete it, there are a couple of water taps on route and there will be feeding drinking stations every 10 miles or so

If it is hot take as much water as you can and reduce the volume of kit you are carrying, I was out Salisbury Plain yesterday practising for this race and my time slowed right done.

You will not have and option of a start time as you are given that, and there are cut off times to check points, or I would say use the night to pick up distance - I have entered for the 60 miles which has a 24 cut off, as the Ridgeway is exposed there is not much shade either

Wear a hat and plenty of sun lotion, particularly on the left side of your face   

Moon Raker
« Last Edit: 18:38:09, 19/06/17 by Moon Raker »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:35:54, 19/06/17 »
don't carry chocolate.

Stays solid if you put it in your hydration bladder if it has a wide opening and don't drink all the water.

And yes, I have tried it with a bag of chocolate buttons ;-)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:36:58, 19/06/17 »
don't carry chocolate.
😀 the voice of experience. Heed the wise words of Plautus
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:31:52, 19/06/17 »
I learnt my lesson, way back in the 1980s, when i traversed the main Brecon Beacons, in the same kind of weather we are experiencing at the moment.
Oblivious to the effects of high UV rays on exposed legs, in a cooling SW wind i burnt my legs to a crisp.
I might as well have slept in a bed of stingy nettles, as the pain was incredible, and lying in bed was agony.

It was such a dramatic lesson, that even today, i usually go walking in either Ron Hill tracksters, or proper walking trousers.

Yesterday i got carried away in wearing shorts, but thankfully the sun burn is very mild.

A lesson learnt, and will not be repeated.

walkingthedog

« Reply #19 on: 07:08:59, 20/06/17 »
Jo great question when I go out and its hot I always use a cap with peak, plenty of water and enough food required as you might not feel hungry in the heat but you still need to eat little amounts often. I use wipes for my feet to help keep them cool and fresh. Clothing tops I wear thin long sleeve top just for protection from the sun. O0

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:00:01, 20/06/17 »
 Checking out this race I have found that it is on the Ridgeway.Quite an easy route,albeit a bit hard underfoot in these conditions.Back in 1985 I entered a 40 mile race on this course organised by the LDWA and finished in around 5hrs 30 mins which included a 3 mile detour when I got lost near the start. :-[

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat as the event has proper medical cover and I am sure the medics will  monitor the weather and will give advice based on the conditions at the time.Entry fee seems a bit high considering the Ridgeway 40 only charges around £10 but that seems to be the norm with these commercial events.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:56:43, 20/06/17 »
I've settled into a routine. I wear a wide brimmed sun hat, long sleeved baselayers, (my dermatologist told me that head and arms are most the susceptible to skin cancer, I had to have a mole removed) I do not wear shorts anymore (I know someone who has Lymes Disease, not good at all!) and carry about 1.5L of water in my rucksack, plus one small bottle as an emergency and a Lifestraw.

I made the error once, a few years ago, by walking from Kirk Yetholme to Byrness in blazing hot sunshine with only my back pack water on board. I ran out and for a while my throat was like coarse sandpaper! Really horrible and scary too, knowing that at the time I was miles from anywhere!

Moon Raker

« Reply #22 on: 17:49:53, 20/06/17 »
Cs.Back in 1985 I entered a 40 mile race on this course organised by the LDWA and finished in around 5hrs 30 mins which included a 3 mile detour when I got lost near the start. :-[

Entry fee seems a bit high considering the Ridgeway 40 only charges around £10 but that seems to be the norm with these commercial events.

43 miles in 5 hours 30 minutes that is some going  - a continuous 8+  miles a hour

The fee includes a donation to a charity, I did the Ridgeway 40 in May a very well organised event and value for money - the race to the Stones I am expecting to provide more support and organisation and that is what you are paying for

Moon Raker

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:44:16, 20/06/17 »
No automatic alt text available.

Topping out of a North Facing High Mountain Crag

I know how to keep myself safe in cold weather, but what the heck do you do when it's scorchio!

Well this has been my answer to the scorchio problem for several decades.

By far the most memorable days I have ever had in the mountains are when I have combined the walking and climbing disaplines (Both winter and summer)

A usefull bi-product of glaciation means 99% of high mountain crags are north facing which is great for sustained hot spells like we are having now. (and of course winter)

I have never really like flogging up hills in the full heat of the day so on a climbing day we always try to get an early start, making driving and parking easier + its COOL on the walk in. (win, win, win)

We tend to walk up to the high mountain crags like Scafell, Gable, Clogwyn d'ud Arddu, Craig y Isfa etc in shorts and running vest. Because of the altitude and shadowy aspect of  high crags they tend to be cool so we leave of walking in gear in the sun to dry off and change into WARMER clothes for the climbing session. Changing back into the COOLER, now dry shorts and running vest to walk down in the COOL of the evening and pub time.

My advice to anyone is forgget about flogging up hills in the heat of the day, learn the set of climbing skills once you gain competancy it adds several dimensions to mountain day experiences..................(win, win, win, win, win, win).

Kukkudrill

« Reply #24 on: 21:49:40, 20/06/17 »
My hot weather walking gear:

- Outdoor Research Sun Runner cap with sun curtain
- Craghoppers Nosilife Adventure Shirt (long sleeved)
- Craghoppers Nosilife Convertible Trousers (but I don't unzip the legs for walks in hot weather - the ordinary Nosilife Cargo Trousers would do just as well)
- Craghoppers Nosilife Travel Socks (I used to use Bridgedale Coolfusion Light Hiker socks, but the Craghoppers socks are lighter so less risk of heat rash).

I don't use the Nosilife items specifically because they are insect-repellent. They just happen to be lightweight and comfortable.

I wear Salomon Quest 4D boots for hot-weather walks, but only because my other boots are all leather. They've served me well but I'm sure there is better footwear for hot weather. 
Make the most of the available light

jethro10

« Reply #25 on: 16:27:15, 26/06/17 »
I don't have any answers, but like you, I've only ever walked in cold bad weather. I was so surprised how hot I got when starting walking all year, just started this winter onwards.
My feet got so hot. So far, I've got thin long trousers, a loose full sleeve shirt, a Sawyer filter, shoes, not boots, thin socks, hat with a brim, thin fleece-never used yet!, wind breaker tiny jacket and smaller rucksack.
It's a totally different beast.
J

Jor13

« Reply #26 on: 20:33:43, 02/07/17 »
Thanks everyone, well I'm nearly kitted and ready to go!

Just one question, I like to walk in second skin trousers, but they let the stones in. My gaiters got wet weather would make my feet feel like a sauna..... are there any alternatives? I've been googling but can only find for runners .....

Plus an amusing tale from today's training walk. Thought I was walking really hard because my back was literally dripping with sweat, till I realise my hydration pack has burst 😂 I looked such a fool 🙈

des65

« Reply #27 on: 23:08:36, 02/07/17 »
Avoid walking between 12 and 3 if that is possible. Better to rise early and try and get the majority of walking done before 12.
Love to walk in the Pennine hills.
Dabbling in glamping [nofollow] and relaxing [nofollow]

rambling oldie

« Reply #28 on: 10:44:50, 05/07/17 »
An ex para told me that walking something like 30/40k in rough country such as brecons, they would carry 4 X 2pt containers of water and use all of it

JohnnieT

« Reply #29 on: 23:00:13, 09/07/17 »
They weren't actually SAS though ... just for the record  ;)

Biggest Regiment in the British Army.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy