Author Topic: Rucksack Recommendations Please  (Read 7730 times)

snoopdawg

Re: Rucksack Recommendations Please
« Reply #15 on: 21:48:20, 07/07/17 »
Another vote for the Lightwave Ultrahike 60. Been using mine for 3 yrs now. IMO a lot lighter than the equivalent Osprey. Only drawback is no mesh pockets.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 07:44:17, 08/07/17 »
The great thing about the exos is it's so light, but doesn't compromise on features  8)
1.09kg for the 58l
The ultrahike is 1.225kg on ultralightweigt outdoors
« Last Edit: 07:51:21, 08/07/17 by beefy »
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:19:35, 08/07/17 »
Some rucksack manufacturers are obsessed with making their sacks lighter and lighter, almost to the point where they're little more than bin-liners with webbing straps.
Don't fall into the trap of sacrificing the support of a good harness which will ultimately be more comfortable, in favour of saving a few grams.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:08:02, 08/07/17 »
The great thing about the exos is it's so light, but doesn't compromise on features  8)
1.09kg for the 58l
The ultrahike is 1.225kg on ultralightweigt outdoors

1225g - 1090g = 135g

One pair of socks size 11 = 150g.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:07:29, 08/07/17 »
Some rucksack manufacturers are obsessed with making their sacks lighter and lighter, almost to the point where they're little more than bin-liners with webbing straps.
Don't fall into the trap of sacrificing the support of a good harness which will ultimately be more comfortable, in favour of saving a few grams.

Good advice ... as usual  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:16:07, 08/07/17 »
If anyone is thinking of buying a new rucksack, who please are the firms who 'are obsessed with making their sacks lighter and lighter................'? It would be useful to us all to have such information when making our decisions.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:24:41, 08/07/17 »
I actually went to the trouble of posting a link then thought, "why bother"?
« Last Edit: 19:30:15, 08/07/17 by Glyno »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:44:34, 09/07/17 »
Another vote for the Lightwave Ultrahike 60. Been using mine for 3 yrs now. IMO a lot lighter than the equivalent Osprey. Only drawback is no mesh pockets.
The great thing about the exos is it's so light, but doesn't compromise on features 8)
1.09kg for the 58l
The ultrahike is 1.225kg
on ultralightweigt outdoors

1225g - 1090g = 135g

One pair of socks size 11 = 150g.
I think your missing the point unless you misread the posts  ::)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:52:53, 09/07/17 »
I'd suggest not taking the advice a bunch of Forum warriors but to instead go to a store with a big range and see whats available, try on a few, inspect them all in detail and then make an informed decision on what you see. ..oh.
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:43:56, 09/07/17 »
I'd suggest not taking the advice a bunch of Forum warriors but to instead go to a store with a big range and see whats available, try on a few, inspect them all in detail and then make an informed decision on what you see. ..oh.

Forum warriors?  ???

you have a problem with people asking for help and advise then go and offer yours

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:57:36, 09/07/17 »
 ;D O0
Where there's a will ...

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:12:30, 10/07/17 »

Forum warriors?  ???

you have a problem with people asking for help and advise then go and offer yours

Yes, hence the 'oh' at the end  ::)

PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:52:42, 10/07/17 »
My Berghaus Ridgeway has been great. 3 pairs of socks heavier than the Exos but 65 +10 and pretty robust. And it was only £85 as I recall. I like carrying socks anyway ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:20:57, 10/07/17 »
One of the reasons I like this Forum is because I can read about real people's experiences with all types of gear. I could go in and just choose from a shop stock but I have alsoo learned that it also can be the frequency of use that will identify perhaps the one thing that can turn your most favourite item into your most hated!

I remember my Keen boots that leaked like a sieve, the Saloman ones that did too, the slight design fault on the hood of my Marmot Precip where the velcro that secures the collar also scratches off the waterproofing material and the carbon fibre hiking stick that just shattered in an instant. I passed my experiences to the Forum, maybe someone thought I'll look into that before I buy? I know I have read much good advice that has helped me more than once.

For me rucksack purchase has been difficult but I have achieved what I want now thanks to the buying and wearing experience of other Forum members.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:41:51, 10/07/17 »

After going round many shops and reading many forum posts (thus noting all the above advice) I have just bought an Osprey Exos 48 despite all that lurid green  on it (It's behind me anyway, I won't see it most of the time).  I'll report back after the next LDP for the use of the next would be rucksack purchaser.  As Gunwharfman says, other people's experience is useful, especially as they aren't wanting to sell me anything.
And for the record, I once bought a pair of Keen boots (not sure what model, they are in the bin) which also leaked like a sieve. And gave me blisters.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy