Author Topic: Rucksack Recommendations Please  (Read 7725 times)

Peter

• Veteran Member
Re: Rucksack Recommendations Please
« Reply #30 on: 21:24:40, 10/07/17 »
Some rucksack manufacturers are obsessed with making their sacks lighter and lighter, almost to the point where they're little more than bin-liners with webbing straps.
Don't fall into the trap of sacrificing the support of a good harness which will ultimately be more comfortable, in favour of saving a few grams.

I seem to recall you had a waterproof day sack? If I push memory maybe OMM? How is that working out?
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

snoopdawg

« Reply #31 on: 15:33:15, 11/07/17 »
The great thing about the exos is it's so light, but doesn't compromise on features  8)
1.09kg for the 58l
The ultrahike is 1.225kg on ultralightweigt outdoors

Having re read my post I must apologise. I actually use the Wildtrek 60ltr which is 3.2lbs. At the turn of the year I had tried an Osprey Aether 60ltr and not the Exos. The Aether according to advertising is 4 lbs 7oz and this years model over 5lbs and actually feels a lot heavier than the Wildtrek. Again apologies.
« Last Edit: 15:36:27, 11/07/17 by snoopdawg »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:01:27, 11/07/17 »
Having re read my post I must apologise. I actually use the Wildtrek 60ltr which is 3.2lbs. At the turn of the year I had tried an Osprey Aether 60ltr and not the Exos. The Aether according to advertising is 4 lbs 7oz and this years model over 5lbs and actually feels a lot heavier than the Wildtrek. Again apologies.
No apology necessary  8)
I am however, becoming increasingly reluctant to post on this forum, with some of the smart [censored] posting derogatory and deliberately flaming comments it's like being back in the playground at school
Why can't everyone just accept their different opinions and get along with each other :-\

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 18:09:37, 11/07/17 »

I seem to recall you had a waterproof day sack? If I push memory maybe OMM? How is that working out?

Peter, I have an Exped Mountain Pro 40L which is waterproof. It's a bit on the big side for day walks, but coincidentally, I am using right now on a three-day circular walk in the Lakes!
I'm not sure this sack is available in the UK, it should be, it's brilliant.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:40:36, 11/07/17 »
The Aether according to advertising is 4 lbs 7oz and this years model over 5lbs and actually feels a lot heavier than the Wildtrek

But what is the weight difference in pairs of socks?  ;)
Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:30:06, 11/07/17 »
Or even half pairs  :D
Where there's a will ...

snoopdawg

« Reply #36 on: 22:05:12, 11/07/17 »
But what is the weight difference in pairs of socks?  ;)

Winter or summer socks? could be crucial! ;)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 23:38:17, 11/07/17 »
Winter or summer socks? could be crucial! ;)
;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:44:17, 12/07/17 »
No apology necessary  8)
I am however, becoming increasingly reluctant to post on this forum, with some of the smart [censored] posting derogatory and deliberately flaming comments it's like being back in the playground at school
Why can't everyone just accept their different opinions and get along with each other :-\

O0 O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:51:10, 12/07/17 »
I'd suggest not taking the advice a bunch of Forum warriors but to instead go to a store with a big range and see whats available, try on a few, inspect them all in detail and then make an informed decision on what you see. ..oh.
The OP asked for advice and members like Beefy are giving their advice based on real usage for what the rucksacks are intended. By all means go to somewhere like GoOutdoors and try the range but they aren't going to let you load the sack to capacity and do a 10 mile trip. Members experiences help you make that informed decision.
Regards Keith

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:50:49, 17/07/17 »
I've always used Lowe Alpine sacks, as I find them very comfortable and good at transferring the weight. They are maybe not light by "ultra light" measures, but are by no means heavy and the comfort and stability makes them feel less than that real weight (if you get my meaning)!

Pricewise, they'd just about fit your criteria - maybe a bit over, but you might find one discounted or on e-bay or whatever. Have a look at this one for starters:

https://lowealpine.com/uk/eclipse-45-55-5

Check their site for options and sizes/weights first, and see what you find. I'd definitely be looking at them for options around 45-55L if I were upgrading to a bigger bag - which I may be doing soon!    O0    

quixoticgeek

« Reply #41 on: 22:06:50, 21/07/17 »
Some rucksack manufacturers are obsessed with making their sacks lighter and lighter, almost to the point where they're little more than bin-liners with webbing straps.
Don't fall into the trap of sacrificing the support of a good harness which will ultimately be more comfortable, in favour of saving a few grams.

There are some where this is the case, and for the use case they are intended for that's fine. If your a SUL thru hiker with down quilt, a poncho tarp, and next to nothing else, if you're base weight is <2.5kg, why not use a very light weight simple backpack?

My Exped Lightning 60l Pack weighs in at about 1.1kg with it's extra pocket on the front. It's basically a dry bag, with two mesh side pockets, and a really good suspension system. I don't need anything more, and half the time I struggle to fill it. I've used it for a few trips and It really is the most comfortable pack I've ever used. I kinda wish they did a 30L version.

My current day pack I'm testing is 360g for a 15l pack. I think I can actually get everything I need for an over night in it. Will be testing that this week...

J

--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy