Author Topic: The Ambleside Alpkit shop  (Read 1408 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
The Ambleside Alpkit shop
« on: 12:30:55, 14/07/17 »
After climbing Blencathra on Wednesday I whizzed over to Ambleside to visit the 'Marmot' shop only to find, that from 2 weeks ago, its now the Alpkit shop! Marmot are now some miles away. Nice to see their stuff and too look and feel it at first hand, now gives me more confidence to buy their stuff on line.

The Marmot gear is  now being displayed and sold from Adventure Peaks, next door.

I'm not happy with Marmot! A few weeks ago four of my Marmot Pulsar 1P tent poles were broken when I was on a site. I went to the pub and when I return my tent was demolished and flat on the ground. I think that some other campers on site were larking about and one teenager either fell or was pushed onto my tent? I will never know. I asked but no one owned up but even if they had it would have made no difference, my tent no longer worked!

I email Marmot USA and they emailed back saying "I should reach out" to the Ambleside shop. A UK Marmot member of staff emailed me saying that they had no complete stocks of poles, but they would sell me a new tent for £150. I don't need one so I said no thanks. She then suggested that I send my poles to them and she would look around the warehouse to see if and individual spares were available.

I did as she asked and a week later she emailed back saying, sorry, cannot help! She did try again to sell me a new tent for £150 and again I said no.

I'm now going to have another go but this time to "reach out" to Marmot USA again. If I cannot solve my poles problem the tent will have to go in the bin!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: The Ambleside Alpkit shop
« Reply #1 on: 16:56:25, 14/07/17 »

willow229

« Reply #2 on: 08:59:41, 15/07/17 »
I know this is of now help to sorting out your pole problem but, what is it with this new turn of phrase 'reach out'? I keep hearing and reading it lately. So irritating.

Good luck with replacing the poles.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:23:03, 15/07/17 »
I don't know anything about them but it may be worth contacting these people
https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service/pole-repairs
They list Marmot as one of the brands they deal with and say
If we do not stock the exact pole type that you require for your repair, we will almost certainly be able to offer you a like-for-like substitute that will still allow you use your tent as functionally as when you first bought it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:10:22, 15/07/17 »
Thankyou all. I'm sending emails to various firms to see if I can solve my tent problem, hopefully one might come up with and answer.

MudMagnet

« Reply #5 on: 15:20:17, 17/07/17 »
I've purchased quite a bit of kit from Alpkit and only have good things to say about the quality of the products and the exceptional customer service. 
I had a tent fail on me and the guys at alpkit had it fixed (better than the original design I think) within a week.
Just bought some more kit from them today.

thomasdevon

« Reply #6 on: 16:04:13, 17/07/17 »
I know this is of now help to sorting out your pole problem but, what is it with this new turn of phrase 'reach out'? I keep hearing and reading it lately. So irritating.

Good luck with replacing the poles.

"reach out" - Its an odd phrase to use but I seem to remember Tony Soprano used to say he was going to "reach out" to such and such a guy........

I'm pretty sure that sort of intervention was not what Marmot meant......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy