Author Topic: Newb soon to walk PW  (Read 7025 times)

Decani

Newb soon to walk PW
« on: 08:55:06, 16/07/17 »
HI all,  

I've just joined as my son (22) and I (50 last week) are walking the first week of the PW in September and I'm desperate for some advice!

My father passed away soon after discussing walking the PW, so I'd like to do it with MY son before I get too old.

He wants (and I'm mostly game) to camp the whole thing (and carry everything). He scoffed when I suggested 16 miles per day (with 15kg+ rucksacks). His D of E group managed 10 miles per day.

I did a calibration walk around Edale last weekend and only managed 12 miles on the Saturday. I was pretty much dead at the end of it, crying for my mummy ;), though I managed a lighter walk on the Sunday.

I can manage weekly shorter (5 miles) training walks beforehand in my locality (Epping Forest = mostly flat).

If we can only manage 10 miles then we'll have to wild camp - I'd rather stay at Crowden, etc.

I managed 20 miles yesterday (day sack only).

So, my question is: can we get fit enough before then to do 16 miles everyday for a week, and carry 15kg+?

Or should I change our plans, and only carry a day sack? My son would be disappointed.

Thanks in advance!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Newb soon to walk PW
« Reply #1 on: 09:43:54, 16/07/17 »
 There are guys on here who are in their sixties and seventies and they still manage to backpack the PW.Keep your pack weight as light as possible and stick to around 15-17 miles a day.Not saying its going to be comfortable but its certainly within the ability of the average walker.The PW has plenty of places to obtain supplies so don't make the mistake of carrying too much food.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:32:48, 16/07/17 »

Perhaps you could compromise.  The Old House at Torside does a 2 night package where they run you to Edale the first morning and you walk back there.  I remember the first day as long and hard even without camping gear, and that would get you over the first day, and you could sort of work yourself in to the walk, and wild camp from there on.  I think you need to get your pack weight down a bit, 15 kg is a lot to carry up all those hills, especially if you are not used to it.
I wouldn't worry about age - I reckon I may not have the speed I had when I was young, but have more staying power, and was over 60 when I did the PW.   Mind you, I did b&b and hostels, not camping, and kept things like spare clothes to a minimum, not sure I could lift 15 kg without doing something irreparable to my back, leave alone carry it.  Lots of people do though.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:28:14, 16/07/17 »
Well I am 68 and can do 140 miles in 7 days, but I don't camp, I look for B & B's, and I have been doing it for a while. I think what you propose is doable, but I would say get some training in now, practice getting your pack size down to the minimum, you don't need as much as you think you do, and could you work out a compromise with your son, find a B & B for a couple of nights. A good nights sleep in a real bed will refresh you.

Ilona

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:10:00, 16/07/17 »
I can't comment on camping and pack weight as we always B&B and use a baggage transfer service, but we have now done 6 LDWs and made sure we have done enough training beforehand. We're not youngsters, we are in our late 50s and living in Suffolk struggle to get enough hill practice in. 

A couple of months before the walk while maybe only walking 7 or 8 miles I wonder if I'll be prepared in time, but touch wood have always been ok in the end! You need to gradually increase the miles as well as pack weight.  If you can get out most weekends between now and September you should be ok.  Aim to walk 2 days in a row a slightly higher mileage than each of your first couple of days, 1-2 weeks before you go.

The suggestions of maybe B&Bing the first night is a good one.  The first day is not easy,it's 16 miles and over Kinder Scout and Bleaklow, but is easily manageable if you have put in the training.  Another thing to think about is maybe doing 16 miles on the first 2 or 3 days and then having an easier day of say 10- 12 miles. It all depends on where you are hoping to get to in the week, Malham or further? 

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:24:10, 16/07/17 »
Rural roamer, I was going to say similar about varying it a bit. I haven't done the PW but on a multiday trip its nice to mix it up a bit, have some shorter days and also consider the odd non camping night to wash gear, dry out, gather your thoughts etc. I believe you can also book luggage transfer on an ad hoc basis (but you should check with Packhorse or similar to be sure) so if you need a break from carrying the weight for a day, you can just ring the night before. Lots of training including some overnighters will certainly help. Enjoy. And welcome to the forum O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #6 on: 21:13:19, 16/07/17 »
I was in a similar situation last april, altho i was only 39. I walked the pw and it was my first long distance walk, i did it for charity and for my own personnel gains so when the going is very tough and [censored] just keep thinking why your doing it! i also only trained on flat land and i was camping/ carrying all my own gear, what got me the most was the excess weight bearing down on my knees, something i had not expected. My pack weight at the start was 13kg so anything above that is crazy, maybe get your son to help by carrying the heaviest stuff! Crowden was my only goal for the first day and i staggered into there like a drunkered in agony, set yourself simple goals, dont over think it and take the time to actually enjoy it, for me it was just to get to my next overnight spot and in reality i didnt get to enjoy the sights. Make sure you have walking poles, plenty of fresh socks and book a bnb for say the 3rd night, a hot shower/bath will work wonders,(on your 2nd day stop at the carriage house at standedge as they have a campsite round back AND a bath, that saved my bacon.
"if in doubt, flat out"

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:53:07, 16/07/17 »
It is clearly more comfortable covering ground if you are "trail fit". If you aren't I reckon you can still achieve a lot by marshalling your energy, so don't agonize too much if you cant put a lot of training miles in. As some of the guys have said, much of it is a mental resolve. Recognise that; say; 20 mile days mean 10 hours on the trail and don't rush. Walk steadily; and more slowly up hills. Don't keep stopping and starting. Plan your breaks for certain points ( a reward for ground covered). The steady pace means you can still take in the views.
I couldn't practise for an LDP I did in May and got in a proper lather about it. In the event I managed it well. Am doing the PW again in August and my domestic situation again means I cant train.
Start early, don't rush, enjoy it ...and pamper your feet! You will be fine.

Decani

« Reply #8 on: 23:35:43, 17/07/17 »

Thanks for the advice. I'm intending to eat in whatever pubs, restaurants and cafes come along and (to my son's disgust) have a night or 2 in a b&b. I'm still keen to camp the rest and I initially felt we could achieve 16 miles/day, but he insists on only 10 which will mean wild camping (which sounds fun if we can find the right locations).

I shall be walking every weekend until we go in September and walking to the station and 20+ flights of stairs at work every day.

I've had an expensive summer with a Kaleigh for my 50th and walking kit - I don't really want to spend £100's more on a super light tent to get the weight well below 15kg. Hopefully I can lose 5kg body weight (6' and currently 85kg) beforehand. I might need to buy new boots if I keep getting blisters with my current boots (Meindl from 10 years ago).

Thanks again!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:48:17, 18/07/17 »
The only thing I would wish to add is what a guy said to me the first morning I was to start my first LDP, the Pennine Way, when he asked how I felt about the walk ahead I said that I hoped my feet would be OK.  He replied it is not your feet that will decide whether you succeed it is your head.  He was right as despite not knowing at that stage how to look after my feet when I did get blisters it was certainly my head that got me through, thinking about walking to lunchtime, the B&B at the end of the day and the shower in the evening, the pub. 

The Pennine Way is a truly wonderful walk, meeting lots of new people along the way and chatting with them in the evening.  Whilst wild camping is OK and is good "to be away from it all" I hope that you don't miss out on the comradeship of your fellow walkers.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:14:36, 18/07/17 »
Thanks for the advice. I'm intending to eat in whatever pubs, restaurants and cafes come along and (to my son's disgust) have a night or 2 in a b&b.

Thanks again!

He can always pitch his tent on the lawn if he is that keen on camping.  ;D

Ilona

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:22:42, 18/07/17 »
Harland - i agree with you that you need to be mentally as well as physically 'fit'. Your feet may be fine but you might need to cope with a day of bad weather, and then be ready to get up and do it again the next day. And yes, chatting with others along the way in the same situation certainly helps.

Fit old bird - thats not a bad idea!- I can think of a few places in the first part of the PW that offer B&B and camping - Miresfield Farm Malham, Ponden House Ponden, Carriage House Marsden.

Decani - if you are going to get new boots, get them sooner rather then later. If your 10 year old boots are leather and you haven't worn thrm for a while, the leather has probably stiffened up.

Marshy Pete

« Reply #12 on: 11:20:50, 20/07/17 »
Hi
As another newbie on here (who has yet to say hello in the appropriate section)
The PW is tough over the first section to Crowden.
It depends when you get into edale and if you want to start walking. There are some wild camp sites  after kinder.

If you are walking from Edale to Crowden on the first day take it easy, give plenty of time, it will be a hard time.

The next day is not so hard.

However you need to train as much as you can, especially using your camping gear in adverse conditions.

Cheers
Marshy Pete

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:49:51, 20/07/17 »
Having done the PW twice now I wouldn't call the first section hard, at least not physically.  The worst part is the climb onto the Kinder plateau. I think the real issue is getting the mind sorted, as has been said many times it's the mind that will fail first on these longer walks.  There are far harder days than the first one  O0
Where there's a will ...

Stube

« Reply #14 on: 11:58:44, 20/07/17 »
The stretch from Edale to Crowden is the hardest you'll have in a weeks walking, especially if the weather's bad. Mind you the climb out of "Hebden" is vicious.

One option is to split it by taking the Snake path, after descending from the Kinder plateau, to the Snake Inn - there is/was an unofficial camping area there.

I was 64 when I walked the PW camping all the way (with an occasional YH) doing 12-15 miles a day carrying around 13+kg
« Last Edit: 12:07:40, 20/07/17 by Stube »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy