Author Topic: New boots good  (Read 2506 times)

thomasdevon

New boots good
« on: 14:56:34, 16/07/17 »

Really pleasantly surprised by my new "cheap" boots.

Bought on Friday at £45 from GO Outdoors, Hi Gear Snowdons. Leather, waterproof, ankle padded, quick release hooks. Worn yesterday for 6hr hike, north Dartmoor. One tiny area of rubbing on left foot which I didn't pick up while walking, otherwise really comfortable to use. Just to demonstrate it could be worth "taking a chance" on the cheaper offerings.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: New boots good
« Reply #1 on: 16:11:46, 16/07/17 »
Nowt wrong with cheaper boots in my opinion.  I've only ever been able to afford cheapies and they've done me proud on a wide variety of terrain.  The only thing I have noticed is the soles seem to wear out quite quickly (though I've never owned an expensive pair of boots to make a comparison).

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:59:54, 16/07/17 »
Did you stick to paths or go off piste? I ask because I wonder if any boots stay dry in Dartmoor wet grass and marshy ground?

Mine stayed dry for the first 1/2 a day but cross country wet grass etc eventually saw off the leder gris weatherproofing and did for my mates eVent lined boots too eventually.

nesty

« Reply #3 on: 18:18:55, 16/07/17 »
TBH I have a cheaper pair of boots as well. Some Peter Storm Langsdales and Regatta borderline. Both work ok for walking. Though depends on what I am doing. If going higher then use more my top notch boots.

The long wet grass test of continual hours would be a decent test for the hi gears!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:30:45, 16/07/17 »
Did you stick to paths or go off piste? I ask because I wonder if any boots stay dry in Dartmoor wet grass and marshy ground?

Mine stayed dry for the first 1/2 a day but cross country wet grass etc eventually saw off the leder gris weatherproofing and did for my mates eVent lined boots too eventually.
Never had a problem with Altberg Tetheras. Water only ever comes in through the hole in the top!
Solvitur Ambulando

shane_uk

« Reply #5 on: 22:30:38, 16/07/17 »
Tethera and gaiters never had a problem or with lowa on dartmoor and we never stick to paths.

thomasdevon

« Reply #6 on: 08:31:23, 17/07/17 »

Dartmoor's really dry right now so they didn't get that kind of test. They're supposed to be waterproof but we'll see come September.

wobblyknees

« Reply #7 on: 10:12:12, 17/07/17 »
Tethera and gaiters never had a problem or with lowa on dartmoor and we never stick to paths.

O0  Another vote of confidence in Lowa Stirling and Altberg Tethera. I walk in some of the wettest moorland in Europe and both do the job. I am always slightly bemused at those that come walking in their fabric boots and complain of wet feet after an hour or so.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:29:32, 18/07/17 »

Dartmoor's really dry right now so they didn't get that kind of test. They're supposed to be waterproof but we'll see come September.

It was pretty dry for Dartmoor this weekend but it rained a fair bit so we found plenty of wet grass and enough soggy moss and the rain itself did it's work. My non Goretex boots were soaked through and the humidity was too high for them to dry overnight. I'm gonna get my self some Altbergs assuming the new Keld ones are wide enough for my duck-like plates.

nesty

« Reply #9 on: 19:47:11, 18/07/17 »
Just to say another thumbs up for the Altberg Tethera O0 .
I got mine for a great price BNWOT on EBAY for over 50% less then in the shops.

I have to say the boot is pretty fantastic. I did Ebbor Gorge in them last week. They made it a pleasure. Where the boots strength is going over rocky paths & keying into mud provides amazing grip.

Sloth

« Reply #10 on: 17:59:21, 19/07/17 »
I love my Scarpa Delta's. Got them much reduced after Kinkyboots spotted a deal (again), even keep my feet dry and comfy in the Western Beacons.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:33:53, 19/07/17 »
My cheapo boots have been waterproof in long, wet grass and soggy, peaty, boggy and heather moorland type terrain  :)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:35:56, 19/07/17 »
Tetheras for me too O0

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:32:26, 21/07/17 »
Damn it. Tried the new Altberg Keld boots. I've been waiting for them to come out as they're supposedly extra roomy in the fore foot. Felt even narrower than their usual wider fittings and pressed directly on my bad big toe joint plus my big toes press into the sides of them anyway. Couldn't even keep them on for a minute. That was my last resort having tried on about 50 boots over the last year. I've been to many shops and tried out every make and range I could get my feet into.

The only boots that fit me so far are some Hanwag Alta Bunions I got cheap from Sports Direct. I only kept them because they were cheap for when the lane gets muddy near my house. They very nearly fit properly and the leather is so soft it's now moulded to my feet and pretty much fit now. Certainly good enough. However they're not Goretex lined and leak pretty badly after an hour or two's rain. I might have to buy the goretex version but I'm struggling mentally with that having paid £50 for these whilst the full price GTX lined ones are about £180 now. Thing is they're not even "serious" boots - very soft leather, soft soles, lots of stitching to let water in. I wouldn't even look at them for 3 season use, yet alone 4. But beggars can't be choosers I guess.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:42:45, 21/07/17 »
Don't know if this will work for you. Mrs N has a bad bunion but Altberg deformed/reshaped her Fremingtons for her and now she says they are the most comfortable shoes she has.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy