Author Topic: hey from London  (Read 1444 times)

summer74

hey from London
« on: 21:08:04, 17/07/17 »
hey I'm from London, don't do nearly enough walking as would like, so expensive travelling from London train stations anyway hi everyone  :) 

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: hey from London
« Reply #1 on: 21:21:56, 17/07/17 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast     :)

summer74

« Reply #2 on: 21:23:42, 17/07/17 »
thanks for the welcome  :)

John Walker

« Reply #3 on: 21:49:27, 18/07/17 »
Welcome from Twickenham, know what you mean about how difficult it is getting away from London to somewhere with good walking  :( .  Although the big hills are a long way off there is a some good walking nearer to here, have you tried the Thames Path or the North Downs Way?  Parts of both are accessible with an Oyster or Travelcard. Don't want to claim too much for this sort of walk but at least you get some fresh(-ish) air and exercise between trips further afield.  :)
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

summer74

« Reply #4 on: 23:26:08, 18/07/17 »
thanks John Walker, I shouldn't complain as I do live a short train ride from Richmond which is a lovely walk either direction of the river and make it a frequent sunday afternoon walk
I shall look more at your other suggestions as I'm quite new to finding places to walk

John Walker

« Reply #5 on: 21:41:33, 19/07/17 »
Summer74,
If you're interested in the North Downs Way you can find details of the stages we did here: http://www.greenlives.org.uk/ndw.html . We mainly did one-day walks (particularly when near London).  Click on the Stage No. links to see details of public transport to and from the walk and also the route we took on each Stage. (We didn't walk very far on each Stage, you might want to do bigger distances?)
Best Wishes
JW

http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:24:36, 20/07/17 »
hi from south wales , what part of london you from
you have 1 life live it

summer74

« Reply #7 on: 22:25:10, 20/07/17 »
I'm quite central so make the most of the royal parks but want some new scenery

Gwydion

« Reply #8 on: 00:02:58, 21/07/17 »
I'm quite central so make the most of the royal parks but want some new scenery

Hi summer74, another Londoner here and totally understand what you say!

I have worked out though a few cheap ways of getting to the hills by combining cheap train tickets (offpeak or advance, obviously) and cheap rental cars from not so obvious places. For instances, you can get to the white peak area of the Peak District by taking a train to Stoke on Trent, which is about 45mins drive and usually has plenty of cheap advance tickets, and renting a car for the weekend from one of the dealers nearby the station, which costs about 30 pounds for 2 days.

Otherwise, an advance ticket to Edale will bring you right in the middle of some very good walking, and the same can be said of Penrith or Windermere. Advance tickets are sold 12 weeks in advance so it takes some planning to ensure you get the cheapest ticket but may be worth it.

The trick is to either travel offpeak or buy advance tickets.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy