Author Topic: Maps  (Read 4764 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Re: Maps
« Reply #15 on: 15:55:54, 19/07/17 »
In a mapcase round my neck. I always wear a fleece that zips up though so that it's not hanging lose and just dangling there.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:21:12, 19/07/17 »
I use an OS map (or other type, or possibly guidebook, if abroad).

I carry it in my hand if needed, put it away in my rucksack if not. Simple as.

Haven't got lost more than one minor instance in over 30 years!  :D

I always think the best way of not getting lost is always knowing where you are as much as where you are going!  ;)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:23:31, 20/07/17 »
I just chuck map in rucksack, then have to fish it out every 5 mins!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:38:21, 20/07/17 »
Could have shown the OP my method of fixing an A4 laminated sheet to a lanyard, with an overhand loop in it so that the rolled sheet can be quickly fitted into the loop. Not flapping around in the wind and less cumbersome than a map case. A method that has served me well for a decade or more and I have used the illustrations THAT WERE IN MY PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM several times in the past. But of course PHOTOBUCKET HAVE SABOTAGED My ability to to provide those illustrations :tickedoff:
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:07:30, 24/07/17 »
I always get lost!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:31:31, 24/07/17 »
If I am going to need to consult it then in map case round my or, even better, my son's neck.
Ancient GPS in waist belt pocket for very, very occasional checking of our position.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:57:08, 24/07/17 »
Could have shown the OP my method of fixing an A4 laminated sheet to a lanyard, with an overhand loop in it so that the rolled sheet can be quickly fitted into the loop. Not flapping around in the wind and less cumbersome than a map case. A method that has served me well for a decade or more and I have used the illustrations THAT WERE IN MY PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM several times in the past. But of course PHOTOBUCKET HAVE SABOTAGED My ability to to provide those illustrations :tickedoff:
Sounds an interesting idea, any chance Barewirewalker of you taking a photo and posting the image instead of using Photobucket? I print an A4 sheet but fold it in half and laminate it at A5 so it is easy to carry, but a bit less useful than the A4 view.

Regards Keith

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:00:29, 25/07/17 »
Sounds an interesting idea, any chance Barewirewalker of you taking a photo and posting the image instead of using Photobucket? I print an A4 sheet but fold it in half and laminate it at A5 so it is easy to carry, but a bit less useful than the A4 view.
Regards Keith

Hi Keith,I still have the photos but unfortunately, as yet have not got around to signing up to another photo hosting site. It is supposed to raining all day tomorrow, perhaps I will continue my rather sporadic research into the alternatives. Not sure I want anything to do with FB but some parts of family seem to think I should sign on and closer family gave up on it a few years ago. So whilst I dither, I will try to compose a written instruction;

Lanyard Method of Carrying Laminated Map.
The Lanyard I first prepared 10 years ago is still in use, it is about the length of my arm with the knots tied. I have a roll of duct tape and a wheel hole punch. Having laminate A4 my map, usually double side print off, 1:25,000 scale one side highlighted intended circular route, 1:50,000 scale on other side of general area. I make a tab off one corner of the map with the duct tape, by folding the tape over a corner at 45 degrees so that it folds back on itself reinforcing a corner of the laminate. Punch a hole through the double layer of tape and the sandwiched laminate map. I have always use the 2nd largest punch hole on my wheel punch but this will depend on the thickness of cord you use.
I think the cord I used is 2.5 mm braided nylon picture cord. Use about meter of cord, longer if you are tall.

Knot 1; Fold back one end of the piece of cord and tie a figure of eight knot around both the standing and running parts of the cord, to make a loop, which your forefinger can comfortably fit through. Tighten the knot. Trim the remaining part of the running cord to about 25-30mms and burn the end to seal.

Thread the loop through the punched hole in the corner of the map, hook forefinger through the loop and drag figure of eight knot through with the short tail. Now roll the map longways towards the reinforced corner, pull the standing part of the cord tight back against the cylinder formed and pinch the cord about 25mm short of the end of the rolled cylinder.

Knot 2; Tie an overhand knot on the double cord at this point so that the loop formed is a comfort size to pass over the end of the rolled map. The remaining cord (standing part) is tied onto a small carabiner. The comfortable length I have found, is arms length, the first loop over the tip of my thumb and the carabiner touching my chin.

The standing part of the cord is that part between the map and the carabiner. The running part is the loose used to tie the knot.

Knot 3; Simplest another overhand for the carabiner, but I have used a half reef on the carabiner and a stuns'l halyard bend on the the standing part or possibly a fisherman's bend as this makes adjusting the length of the standing part easy. When burning off the end of the nylon pinching out a little of the  molten nylon into a rigid end has made this knot more secure from coming undone.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:07:57, 25/07/17 »
My pack has one of those air spaces in the back, an os map sits in there quite happily
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:16:08, 25/07/17 »
I usually store my map, in one of Silvas waterproof cases, the sort of case used by marshals sitting out in the open, supervising a race.
My ruck sack, has an internal compartment, where i store the map, as i am not the kind of walker who constantly needs reassurance looking at the thing.
Most of the time, i know my set route, so only get my map out if there is a point of interest, such as an archaeological remain that i want to identify.

The map only gets used in emergencies, which is not that often.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:47:50, 25/07/17 »

Hi Keith,I still have the photos but unfortunately, as yet have not got around to signing up to another photo hosting site. It is supposed to raining all day tomorrow, perhaps I will continue my rather sporadic research into the alternatives. Not sure I want anything to do with FB but some parts of family seem to think I should sign on and closer family gave up on it a few years ago. So whilst I dither, I will try to compose a written instruction;

/quote]
Thanks Barewirewalker for going to so much trouble, much appreciated. I'll try this.

A good idea having both 1;25000 and 1:50000 available laminated back to back.

Regards Keith

Jim Parkin

« Reply #26 on: 21:50:33, 25/07/17 »
I didn't realise that I was "out of date" as I attach my compass to a carabiner on the front of my rucksack so that it is easy to check and an OS map (on A4 pages) in a map case on a carabiner on the other side of my rucksack.  Perhaps it is my age but I enjoy walking with these close at hand.  I do carry a GPS but that is tucked away to check on in case of a temporary deviation from my intended route! :D

That's pretty much what I do, only I use some shockcord to hold my mapcase, and my compass tied to a belt loop. 

thomasdevon

« Reply #27 on: 11:18:42, 26/07/17 »
I usually store my map, in one of Silvas waterproof cases, the sort of case used by marshals sitting out in the open, supervising a race.
My ruck sack, has an internal compartment, where i store the map, as i am not the kind of walker who constantly needs reassurance looking at the thing.
Most of the time, i know my set route, so only get my map out if there is a point of interest, such as an archaeological remain that i want to identify.

The map only gets used in emergencies, which is not that often.

Though you mention reassurance and emergencies, I'm sure its good discipline to consult the map at each landmark including in good weather. Though I am myself guilty of not doing this. I have certainly found myself enveloped in cloud/fog on Dartmoor with only about 5 minutes warning so double-checking is not a waste of time.

Pitboot

« Reply #28 on: 14:30:38, 26/07/17 »
Try an Ultramap from Harvey.
Waterproof, tearproof. Fits in most pockets. It's 1:40,000 so possibly not acceptable to those who swear by a 1:25,000 OS map, but good enough for me.

photonut

« Reply #29 on: 12:03:13, 31/07/17 »
Some interesting options... thank you to those that have posted.

Barewirewalker... as you say it's a shame you cannot post a pic of your map 'holder' system.  But following your second post I think I can fathom out what you have done.  I shall give it a try. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Cheers
Lee

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy