Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Rucksacks with Lids?  (Read 4776 times)

Forkbeard

Re: Whatever Happened to Rucksacks with Lids?
« Reply #15 on: 10:43:59, 22/07/17 »
Thanks for the replies and links. I actually tracked down the same make/model bag as I used to have on ebay and bought it - just a bigger version. From what I remember, the one I used to have - which was 25L not 30 as stated above - was very roomy compared to my current one (Berghaus Twentyfourseven). Which IMO opinion is small for a 25L bag and generally annoys me in every way!

« Last Edit: 10:48:58, 22/07/17 by Forkbeard »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:00:55, 22/07/17 »
I have to say that I am glad there are now rucksacks without side pockets. However, I still want a lid pocket.
I need to replace my 45l pack due to seams busting with age/abuse. It was great, but the problem was the floating lid, and now if they have a lid they tend to be floating ones. It's fine when overloaded or with a rope held down by it, but when lightly packed, it slumps off and exposes the main opening.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Forkbeard

« Reply #17 on: 12:05:21, 22/07/17 »
I have to say that I am glad there are now rucksacks without side pockets. However, I still want a lid pocket.
I need to replace my 45l pack due to seams busting with age/abuse. It was great, but the problem was the floating lid, and now if they have a lid they tend to be floating ones. It's fine when overloaded or with a rope held down by it, but when lightly packed, it slumps off and exposes the main opening.

I have a Lowe Alpine 65:80 and unless it's really full, it's a hell of a lot of saggy bag and long straps. It hangs off my back like a deflated octopus, and the lid hangs half way down the front. Fortunately when I use it it's usually got at least a 3 season sleeping bag and tent stuffed in it. I guess that size bag is designed to be full though. I would argue a 45L is used a bit more varied where content is concerned and would need a more fixed lid.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:55:20, 22/07/17 »
Cheapest I can find the Lowe Alpine Airzone Trail 25 in Sycamore/Artichoke Green is £59.95 less 5% off for new customers (see top of webpage) with free delivery is here
https://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/rucksacks-c86/daysacks-c88/lowe-alpine-mens-airzone-trail-25-rucksack-p3774/s24977

If anyone else is after one of these, today I have found it for £42 :o with free delivery.
http://www.trekitt.co.uk/10725/products/lowe-alpine-airzone-trail-25-black.aspx

But it's black, and I'm so fussy about colour that I'd pay more for a green one.

Meanwhile, I've not had any response from Lowe Alpine yet for the online form I sent them on Thursday that included my email address and phone number, when I queried the dimensions. I'll give them till Monday/Tuesday, after which I'll be considering buying some other company's product.

nesty

« Reply #19 on: 19:10:33, 22/07/17 »
If anyone else is after one of these, today I have found it for £42 :o with free delivery.
http://www.trekitt.co.uk/10725/products/lowe-alpine-airzone-trail-25-black.aspx

But it's black, and I'm so fussy about colour that I'd pay more for a green one.

Meanwhile, I've not had any response from Lowe Alpine yet for the online form I sent them on Thursday that included my email address and phone number, when I queried the dimensions. I'll give them till Monday/Tuesday, after which I'll be considering buying some other company's product.

Trouble is with that link if you scroll down it says no longer available  ;)

I did notice that link from trekit myself, as could of got Go outdoors to price match meant could of got that rucksack for about £38!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:16:21, 22/07/17 »
Oh! Sorry about that. I swear it wasn't there when I looked earlier!

nesty

« Reply #21 on: 20:31:51, 22/07/17 »
Oh! Sorry about that. I swear it wasn't there when I looked earlier!

Been sold out for a while I think, as I looked there beginning of the week.
I wish Trekkit would just say sold out at the price, instead of listing it down below and luring you into a great feeling of sensation; then dashing your hopes!

Earlier in the year they had a pair of Arcteryx Bora2 in my size at £137 (normally £220). I am trying to click buy, but nothing happening. Then I scrolled down to find out they sold out!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:16:19, 24/07/17 »
Latest thoughts:
I went to my nearest Go Outdoors this morning to look at the Lowe Alpine Trail 25 (in bright red, ugh!). They don't sell the Trail 35. Out of the choice of makes they stock, which include Deuter and Osprey amongst others, I felt the LA Trail suits my needs best.
However, the frame curves into the back of the sack considerably, and reduces the capacity  to less than you would think it has.
What I feel now is that if the 25 and the 35 are similar dimensions (LA haven't replied to my query) and they both sell for a similar price, then I might as well buy the larger one.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:12:37, 24/07/17 »
What I feel now is that if the 25 and the 35 are similar dimensions (LA haven't replied to my query) and they both sell for a similar price, then I might as well buy the larger one.

Whilst it's tempting to do so, if it's the right bag for you, try not to let LA's lack of response deter you from choosing what is a great product!  :D

I have an Airzone Trail 35 (well, it's predecessor) and it is really all you could want - comfy, good volume, well-thought-out, and - best of all - a really good carry that distributes the weight of the load well (for me, at least). I have the black with orange trim version, and to me it looks very smart!  O0

Whatever you choose, good luck! But I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:20:40, 24/07/17 »
Ordered and on its way! £56.48 from here:
http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/bags-packs/daypacks/lowe-alpine-airzone-trail-35-backpack-.htm
A fairly local company to me, but I'm taking advantage of the free delivery to save a bit of petrol.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

nesty

« Reply #25 on: 19:49:24, 24/07/17 »
Ordered and on its way! £56.48 from here:
http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/bags-packs/daypacks/lowe-alpine-airzone-trail-35-backpack-.htm
A fairly local company to me, but I'm taking advantage of the free delivery to save a bit of petrol.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

I wish I hadn't seen this!
I tried the 35L on in Go Outdoors today. It felt nice and with price match I could get that for £50!   :P

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:08:06, 27/07/17 »
My new LA Trail 35 was delivered today. I've adjusted all the straps as instructed in the video on the maker's website, and I can't wait to get out and try it out - sometime next week that'll be,

But there is one HUGE disappointment for me :( . The sack is green - sycamore and artichoke they call it - but the inside of the external lid pocket, the inside of the lid itself and the inside of the main compartment are orange. That I can just about learn to live with, but why on earth do they provide an orange raincover with a green sack? >:(
The smaller Trail 25 I at looked in GO was red and had a red raincover, yes I looked, so it was my assumption that they were all colour-coordinated.

As you may have guessed, I'm not a lover of bright clothing and equipment (edit: don't go by my avatar on the left!), and I can't see myself ever using the cover because of its colour.
« Last Edit: 16:13:52, 27/07/17 by fernman »

nesty

« Reply #27 on: 16:57:19, 27/07/17 »
My new LA Trail 35 was delivered today. I've adjusted all the straps as instructed in the video on the maker's website, and I can't wait to get out and try it out - sometime next week that'll be,

But there is one HUGE disappointment for me :( . The sack is green - sycamore and artichoke they call it - but the inside of the external lid pocket, the inside of the lid itself and the inside of the main compartment are orange. That I can just about learn to live with, but why on earth do they provide an orange raincover with a green sack? >:(
The smaller Trail 25 I at looked in GO was red and had a red raincover, yes I looked, so it was my assumption that they were all colour-coordinated.

As you may have guessed, I'm not a lover of bright clothing and equipment (edit: don't go by my avatar on the left!), and I can't see myself ever using the cover because of its colour.

Yeah, it is strange with the colour they decide!

I got my LA Trail 35L from Go Outdoors yesterday for £48 in black!  And it's the 2017 latest editon, with the 2 pockets on the hip belt.

Really pleased with it! It's quality rucksack love the back air vent system! 

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:51:19, 04/08/17 »
The end of my daypack saga - I hope!

I returned the Lowe Alpine Trail 35 unused to the seller, told them I was truly sorry to do it to them but I couldn't stand the orange colour inside it, I would never be happy with it.

What I now have instead is a Vaude Jura 30 which to me is a more pleasing olive-green colour but more importantly a neutral pale greyish colour inside. It was more money, probably because Lowe Alpine is an American company and the Pound is doing well against the Dollar, while Vaude is German and we all know how the Pound is faring with the Euro. The best price I found was on Amazon and I got the last one at the time. They said there were "more on the way" which turned out to be true when I looked, but they were £8.62 more than I paid.

Of course, the rain cover is orange, there was no getting away from that, but I've ordered an olive-colour one, also from Amazon. When it arrives I'll put the orange one up for grabs for free in the Forum.

First impressions of the Vaude: it's not quite as feature-rich as the Lowe Alpine one but I've no complaints there. Overall perhaps not quite as comfortable to carry by comparison, I certainly feel the shoulder straps could do with a bit more padding, but a big plus is that it is 270g (9.5 oz) lighter than the L.A.

nesty

« Reply #29 on: 22:24:02, 04/08/17 »
And everyone thought I was being colour picky, when I was insisting on a black and yellow Montane Cobra last month!  ;D

At the end of the day you have to happy and pleased with your purchases our just gets on your nerves!

I am not a lover of Orange myself. I was pleased with Lowe Alpine that the new model had hardly any orange externally, then it's former year predecessor!

Vaude a good make. I had one of their 10L hydration daypacks in my mountain biking days!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy