Author Topic: Osprey  (Read 2194 times)

Pitboot

Osprey
« on: 09:07:28, 25/07/17 »
I decided to splash out on a new daysack, thanks HMRC for the tax rebate!

As Osprey's are expensive I shopped online for the best deal, and obtained a Talon 33 for a good price, and the correct size.
When it arrived I was very impressed by the light weight and all of the features. It seemed ideal, until I tried the hip belt.
Just wearing a tee shirt and thin trousers I could just about clip the belt buckle together. even when fully extended.
 So with walking gear on, and a jacket, it would be impossible, the belt was too short! Never had that happen on any rucksack before. I called the vendor, they don't have any longer belts, he suggested I use the free return service and get a refund, wow.
So I contacted Osprey here in the UK and their response was to send me a new two part belt with longer webbing straps, free of charge.
 That is excellent customer service.
 It could have been made unnecessary if the original belt had been a few inches longer. By the way, I'm no fatty and my other rucksacks have plenty of adjustment in their hip belts. Happily the design of the sack made for an easy belt replacement, so top marks there for that feature.

So there's a good reason for using a shop to buy your outdoor gear. You get to try the stuff on. Yes it will be a little more expensive but the shops have overheads and need to make a profit to survive.

Alan Kilroy

Re: Osprey
« Reply #1 on: 12:05:06, 25/07/17 »
Bought the same bag, online, a few weeks ago. Been out twice, no issues. Plenty of room to cinch the hip belt. OK, merino LS top.
I'm 5'7" and about 74kgs.
Great bag.

Although.....  ;) , the hip belt pockets are way round the side, just that little far back.

It's my first bag so probably easily pleased.
« Last Edit: 12:08:54, 25/07/17 by Alan Kilroy »

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:59:45, 25/07/17 »
Although.....  ;) , the hip belt pockets are way round the side, just that little far back.

I find this on mine, and with other makes - they are just tucked a bit too far back to be easily accessible, so are not as useful as they might appear to be.  :(

Mind you, I'm not that concerned if the rest of the bag is good.  ;D

skightley

« Reply #3 on: 09:20:46, 26/07/17 »
On the tallon they are short. Its just the tallon though - had an Atmos for a while and I spent many an hour wondering who would actually require the extra 6 feet of webbing.
I do believe they make an clip  thing that expands the length. If you are interested I will have a look and see if i can find one for you.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:16:27, 26/07/17 »
On the tallon they are short. Its just the tallon though - had an Atmos for a while and I spent many an hour wondering who would actually require the extra 6 feet of webbing.

That's more the norm for Osprey - their packs always seem to be strung with more webbing than is needed on two rucksacks!  :D

I've heard of people actually cutting webbing off Osprey packs, too .......  :o

Pitboot

« Reply #5 on: 19:54:55, 26/07/17 »
Ditto on the hip belt pockets, good capacity but a bit out of the way, I'll have to improve my yoga skills to get at them.

The sack carried beautifully, no aching shoulders after a long walk up and down Hellvellyn on a humid day. Ventilated back works well, only got a bit of moisture at back of hip belt. A good buy if a bit expensive.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:27:59, 26/07/17 »
The position of the Osprey hip belt pockets was something I noticed when I was comparing makes in GO on Monday, I had to bend my arms back at an awkward angle to get to them, and that is what I preferred about the Lowe Alpine Trail, whose hip belt pockets were a bit easier to reach as well as being a little bit roomier.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:20:40, 27/07/17 »
I decided to splash out on a new daysack, thanks HMRC for the tax rebate!

As Osprey's are expensive I shopped online for the best deal, and obtained a Talon 33 for a good price, and the correct size.
When it arrived I was very impressed by the light weight and all of the features. It seemed ideal, until I tried the hip belt.
Just wearing a tee shirt and thin trousers I could just about clip the belt buckle together. even when fully extended.
 So with walking gear on, and a jacket, it would be impossible, the belt was too short! Never had that happen on any rucksack before. I called the vendor, they don't have any longer belts, he suggested I use the free return service and get a refund, wow.
So I contacted Osprey here in the UK and their response was to send me a new two part belt with longer webbing straps, free of charge.
 That is excellent customer service.
 It could have been made unnecessary if the original belt had been a few inches longer. By the way, I'm no fatty and my other rucksacks have plenty of adjustment in their hip belts. Happily the design of the sack made for an easy belt replacement, so top marks there for that feature.

So there's a good reason for using a shop to buy your outdoor gear. You get to try the stuff on. Yes it will be a little more expensive but the shops have overheads and need to make a profit to survive.

I've just recently had the exact same problem.

Osprey's explanation for the short hip belt straps on the Talon 33 was that it is due to it originally being designed for what they describe as an "athletic fit". Round here they're known as skeletons!  ;D

For anyone else who reads this thread Osprey's Customer Service Department ask you to complete the warranty claim form here http://warranty.ospreyeurope.com/customer/form.php

Make sure you state the length of the replacement straps you require and if they have them in stock you should have them in a couple of days.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:55:36, 27/07/17 »
I have a Talon 44 and also a Stratos 26.

I'm not exactly what you would call skinny but I haven't had a problem with the length of the straps so I don't know if it's older stock with different dimensions.

The side pockets can be hard to reach but you get used to it. I guess if they were further forward they could get in the way while walking.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:15:52, 27/07/17 »
I have a Tempest 20  :smitten: and don't seem to have any problems with the length of the waist straps or access to the pockets.

... and I'm definitely no racing snake  :-[

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Osprey - Customer Service
« Reply #10 on: 15:20:48, 28/07/17 »
Now here's a tale to warm your cockles.
In 2013 my daughter bought me a 3 litre Osprey drink reservoir to go in my Osprey rucksack for my birthday. On Tuesday I was giving it it's usual post walk strip clean and rinse when I noticed a black deposit had started to appear on the plastic seal inside the filler cap. I tried cleaning it in situ with a toothbrush but no joy so I carefully prised it out with a cocktail stick and gave it another go but I still could not get it clean.
Clearly time for a replacement, so I sent an email to Osprey asking them where I could get a new seal.  I got a prompt reply from their customer services suggesting I fill in an on line guarantee claim form which I duly did, explaining that it was a 4 year old bag, no idea where or when it was bought and was only using the claim form at the suggestion of customer services.
The next day I had a reply asking for a picture of the seal which I sent by return.  Shortly after I got a reply saying they could give me a new lid, please send tham a picture of the reservoir so they could make sure it was the right lid. Today I got an email saying the replacement lid is in the post.
Now that is what I call service!  :) 
Solvitur Ambulando

RogerA

« Reply #11 on: 16:58:42, 05/02/18 »
I've just had a similar issue with an Osprey Talon 33 I was trying on. Otherwise a fantastic pack, the back length adjustment is great, though the M/L version only just stretched to be long enough.
The waist band however was incredibly tight.

I think whats put me off most is that I used to be quite heavy until about a year ago - having over the past 12 months lost 5 1/2 stone to come down to a 6'4" 15 stone (so admittedly still not skinny) to have an inanimate backpack telling me I was still far to fat to wear it was actually quite demoralising - such a shame.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy