Author Topic: Which lightweight tent for wildcamping ?  (Read 830 times)

Harry Fisher

Which lightweight tent for wildcamping ?
« on: 11:49:28, 18/09/17 »
I am 60 in late December and my two boys were asking what I would like for a present. I have said I would like a good 2 man lightweight tent for wildcamping, I am currently using a Vango Soul 200, it's okay but not the best and the poles broke so I had to repair them, and at 2.2 kg a bit heavy.I would also like one where you get in from the side instead of the end, also with a bit of head height to sit up if possible.I don't want them to spend too much money so will say 150 max, any ideas?

Rather be walking

Re: Which lightweight tent for wildcamping ?
« Reply #1 on: 12:17:08, 18/09/17 »
Hi Harry Fisher
        This year I've been using Zephyros 1 EP Tent, comes in at 1.5kg about 110 in January 2017.
Shop around, I think they are selling as low as 99.
The only bad thing is the tent pegs (alum) they're rubbish.

John.
"When you talk you are only repeating what you already know, but if you listen, you may learn something new."

Dalai Lama

NeilC

« Reply #2 on: 12:37:12, 18/09/17 »
You can pick up a Terra Nova Zeyphyros 2 for under 120. 2 man, side door, 1.81KG packed weight.

Still a 2 man so reasonably roomy, side doors, 1.8KG packed weight (as opposed to the meaningless "minimum weight")
A highly thought of budget backpacking tent. Not so sure about the sitting up room though.

Getting a light tent with good sitting-up room for that kind of money isn't easy because most of them at that price are wedge designs, and so you might have to go Chinese knock-off territory like the NatureHike: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naturehike-Outdoor-Persons-Ultralight-Waterproof/dp/B00W1F7Q9U?th=1&psc=1

3 man so a fair bit roomier and better headroom. They quote 1.8KG but you have to add the pegs/guys at 200g so 2KG really.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:33:17, 19/09/17 »
I have a Zephros one which does the job, has always kept me dry but its not a tent I grew to love. I always feel like I'm sleeping in a tomb, but its my tent of choice for the winter. My other tent is a Marmot Pulsar One, out of action at the moment due to broken poles. For floor space and head room its far superior to the Zephyros but I only use it in the warmer months, the inner tent is mesh.

When I buy next a Naturehike tent, at the moment is top of my list, for the price they want I could buy two in a year and still be in pocket.

Harry Fisher

« Reply #4 on: 09:40:49, 21/09/17 »
Gunwharfman, just looked at Naturehike, I like the look of the TAGA 2 ULTRALIGHT.

Harry Fisher

« Reply #5 on: 09:41:01, 21/09/17 »
Thanks for your replies, I put this question to four forums and now have a good list. :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:43:14, 21/09/17 »
Harry Fisher, I have my eye on the Taga as well. If you buy please let us know what you think of it. It a copy of the Tarptent Rainbow I believe.