Author Topic: What's in your emergency pack?  (Read 600 times)

richardh1905

Re: What's in your emergency pack?
« Reply #15 on: 14:35:08, 09/07/18 »
I've come to the conclusion that theres nothing I (with no medical knowledge) could do with plasters that gaffer tape wouldnt do a similar job for in an emergency situation i.e. until I got help. - and also can be used to create a sling / repair a waterproof / etc.

I kind of agree, especially about the plasters, but on one occasion I was very glad that I was carrying a large dressing.

NeilC

« Reply #16 on: 15:01:40, 09/07/18 »

I kind of agree, especially about the plasters, but on one occasion I was very glad that I was carrying a large dressing.

I'm the same. I've tripped and gashed myself Nothing so bad I'd have to stop and turn home but bad enough that it needs attention. So I carry a basic first aid kit. Clean the wound  up with an alcohol wipe and dress it with a proper dressing that's sterile, breathable and non-stick and you're good to go with much less chance of getting something really bad like sepsis.

I carry a couple of plasters for little nicks like cutting myself with my knife, alcohol wipes, a couple of dressings, one proper bandage, blister plasters and various pills - ibuprofen, anti-diarrhea, valium etc.

I'm mostly thinking of stopping stuff ruining my trip. A stomach upset or a blinding headache will really spoil your day but is relatively easily solved with a couple of pills.

On the non medical side I have a whistle with a compass in it, some paracord (laces, guy ropes etc), Tenacious Tape for tent and sleeping bag rips, duct tape wrapped around a tent pole, a lighter.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 00:45:51, 10/07/18 »
I only day walk, and only in good weather, and my husband always knows where I've gone.

plasters, painkillers, whistle, torch, boot lace, and an extra layer of clothes, plus a waterproof jacket- my phone is my real emergency tool
extra water in this heat too.
 :) :)