Author Topic: Best rout up and down scafell pike for 8 year olds  (Read 394 times)

Ljarmain

Hi

In August myself and my friend climbed snowdon with our two 8 year old girls. We when up the pyg track and back down the miners track. Both girls loved it and would like to climb another mountain which leads us to climbing scafell pike next summer. Can any one recommend a similar rout if not slightly harder to the pyg and miners tracks?

Thanks in advance for any help

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: Best rout up and down scafell pike for 8 year olds
« Reply #1 on: 16:57:11, 27/10/18 »
If they managed Snowdon by Pyg I would think they would find the usually recommended "easy " route from Wasdale via Hollow Stones a bit boring  :)

I would try the corridor route from Seathwaite returning down Grains Gill, There is a small down climb near Piers Gill but it's nothing really and easily tackled. I did this route with my ( slightly older, 11yrs ) children and they had no problems at all.
HTH
show your love for Lady Nature. And she will come back again.
www.karlswalks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:12:14, 27/10/18 »
If it helps, I walked the Corridor Route taking in Lingmell on the way up and Broad Crag, Ill Crag and Great End on the way back.  I would agree the "step" near Piers Gill should not be an obstacle for an adult and a 8 year old. The descent to cross the gap between the summit of Scaffel Pike and Broad Crag was a bit steep and slippy (loose surface) but again should be passable with care and supervision.
My log shows the route is about 10.5 miles in old money with a total of around 3600 ft of ascent/descent and took a 60 something around 6:30hrs to do.  Cutting out the sightseeing detours would reduce this somewhat.  If you want the trace I can publish a link.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:43:11, 28/10/18 »

We recently climbed Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head, ascending via Sty Head and the Corridor Route, and descending more directly down the tourist route (Lingmell Col, Brown Tongue) before cutting across the lower slopes of Lingmell back to Wasdale Head. A good varied route which my 11 year old son enjoyed. There is a bit of a scramble about half way up the Corridor Route, but this is very easy - we met another family group on it (although I did have to help our scatty spaniel).

One word of caution though - if you have to retreat for whatever reason, do NOT be tempted to descend Piers Gill.

PS - welcome to the forum. :)

Skip

« Reply #4 on: 10:06:42, 07/11/18 »
... they would find the usually recommended "easy " route from Wasdale via Hollow Stones a bit boring ...

Possibly so and it is also the most crowded. But on the plus side it's the easiest route to navigate and it passes some great rock scenery. You can vary it by taking the slightly rougher route via Mickledore.

Starting from Brackenclose NT carpark, that "easy" direct route from Wasdale is steeper than the Pyg: it rises 2,900 feet in 2.6 miles compared to 2,370 in just over 3  miles for the Pyg.

The most common routes from Seathwaite Farm in Borrowdale (via Grains Gill, Esk Hause and Broad Crage; or via Styhead Tarn and the Corridor route) have roughly the same height gain but are longer at very roughly 4 miles.

The route to the summit starting from Wasdale Head Inn via Styhead and the Corridor Route is also roughly 4 miles. As richardh1905 suggests, combining that with a descent by the "easy" direct path would be a good circuit. The only potentially tricky bit would be finding the start of the Corridor in poor visibility (cloud-shrouded, foggy or raining hard).

If pressed to recommend a route to you and the youngsters I'd plump for the so-called 'tourist path' from Brackenclose via Hollow Stones.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Skip