Author Topic: Paramo alterations - anyone had any done?  (Read 941 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Paramo alterations - anyone had any done?
« on: 08:53:16, 01/11/18 »
I like my Helki jacket but it doesn't have enough ventilation - no pit zips. I got it for a very good price and looking into trading it up on ebay looks like it would cost me a fair bit and possibly end up with me getting something less suitable in other ways.

So I contacted Paramo and they're able to add pit-zip vents, with the flaps underneath etc for a pretty reasonable price.

Has anyone had any work like that done by them. I'm assuming they'd do it to a high standard but I'd be interested to know from people who've actually seen their work.

wobblyknees

Re: Paramo alterations - anyone had any done?
« Reply #1 on: 10:36:05, 01/11/18 »
Depends what you mean by pretty reasonable. I contacted them to try to get my Cascada pants repaired. The price was prohibitive.
I bought a new pair cheaper (on Ebay I think). Admittedly, they were the older heavier baggy version and Paramo had recently launched the newer slimmer version. Many outlets were offloading the old ones very cheaply.

That said, a friend of mine sent her old, well battered, multi ripped Alta 2 jacket back to them for repair. She got back a washed, reproofed and fully repaired jacket in almost pristine condition. The repairs are hardly noticeable. I think it cost only 30 about 5 years ago. She says it felt like buying a new jacket for 30.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:10:17, 01/11/18 »
Depends what you mean by pretty reasonable. I contacted them to try to get my Cascada pants repaired. The price was prohibitive.
I bought a new pair cheaper (on Ebay I think). Admittedly, they were the older heavier baggy version and Paramo had recently launched the newer slimmer version. Many outlets were offloading the old ones very cheaply.

That said, a friend of mine sent her old, well battered, multi ripped Alta 2 jacket back to them for repair. She got back a washed, reproofed and fully repaired jacket in almost pristine condition. The repairs are hardly noticeable. I think it cost only 30 about 5 years ago. She says it felt like buying a new jacket for 30.

Cheers

48 for the work on both arms.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:11:50, 01/11/18 »
I've had jackets repaired three times...usual story, me being careless, barbed wire unsuccessfully negotiated, friction tears when scrambling, etc. (That ...scrambling... won't happen again, walk only nowadays).

All three times work was done to high standards, and jacket was re-proofed in cost. The first two times it was impossible to tell where repair had been needed. The third time.it was possible to tell where a panel had been replaced, but only because jacket was so old that it was impossible to match the colour exactly, Paramo had moved to a slightly different green.

Basically I wouldn't have any qualms about quality of their work, if price is acceptable to you.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:32:03, 01/11/18 »
I have an Alta 2 and the zip is beginning to fail!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:55:56, 01/11/18 »
I'm going to go ahead then and get it done.

wobblyknees

« Reply #6 on: 09:51:04, 02/11/18 »
I'm going to go ahead then and get it done.

A good decision I'd say. After Paramo's quote for my Cascadas, I brought them to a local seamstress. When she explained the amount of work involved in replacing a 3/4 length zip, I realized Paramo's quote was very reasonable. Buying the new pair was still the cheaper option,though.

48 sounds very reasonable for two pit-zips.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:03:22, 02/11/18 »

A friend had a very successful repair done to her Paramo Jacket after an altercation with some barbed wire.
I decided my Velez trousers were just too far gone after various encounters with brambles, barbed wire and the stony surface of that path from Cross Fell to Garrigill, so I took up the other Paramo deal, gave them back to the shop and got 50 quid off a new pair.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:53:57, 22/12/18 »
So i got the alterations done and the jacket came back today.

They have been done to a very high standard. It looks just like it was made like that in the first place.

Theres quite a lot to it when you look at it: storm flap with a popper on the outside and the the overlapping liner in the inside to provide the waterproofing keep the zip away from your skin.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:00:46, 22/12/18 »
Good to hear it went well, neat way to get a unique garment.