Author Topic: Are they Long Diastance routes, long distance walks?  (Read 1664 times)

dank86

Re: Are they Long Diastance routes, long distance walks?
« Reply #15 on: 22:52:52, 08/02/19 »
I always thought their definition was 20 miles or more that can be walked in one continuous journey.

So if I had a 20 mile path and did it over 2 days that would be a long distance walk. That way the definition is more inclusive to you and I will walk at different speeds we both compete the walk yet if it's a miles per day then I may be classed as a long distance walker and you won't be because you took a little longer
« Last Edit: 21:16:46, 09/02/19 by dank86 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:13:36, 09/02/19 »
All entirely arbitrary in my opinion, dank.  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:45:38, 09/02/19 »
 O0
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:48:57, 10/02/19 »
I always thought their definition was 20 miles or more that can be walked in one continuous journey.

The guys that created the LDWA ideology were mainly academics.When I was a member I used to know a couple of them and I am sure they did constant calculations in their heads as they walked along.Great guys and good company but I never took their definitions of walking too seriously.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:04:21, 10/02/19 »
Not being a committed LD walker, as day walking suits my purpose better, but being fascinated by the concept of routes and how quality of way fits in with personal judgement of a route, I am rather intrigued by this.
I have walked across Wales a few times, a continuous walk along a planned route, over several days. Some years later on this forum a lady asked for advice on a route to walk with her son, how to walk across Wales and she chose the route I had taken, this apparently worked out very well for them but it is not a recognised  LDP. So did they complete a long distance route or do a long distance walk. As previously said this seems arbitrary.

On another occasion I chose a strait line of around 90 miles with a fixed start point and and a specific destination point and tried to walk as close to the line as the terrain allowed.

This I did over several weeks hacking into the line I had discovered, using various means of transport. Again was long distance walking or creating a long distance route. I actually made some rather interesting discoveries along that trail, which rarely get raise by followers of recognised LD trails.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:08:47, 11/02/19 »
I always thought that the LDWA regarded a long distance walk as anything over 16 miles in a days walking. Following that it would seem that when doing a Long Distance route, if you are doing a more than 16 miles per day then you are a long distance walker walking a long distance route, however if doing less than 16 miles per day then you are a day walker doing a series of day walks along a long distance route. The end result is the same, indeed I have met many walking long distance routes who don't claim to a walker of any description but just decided to have a go (probably after watching Julia Bradbury on tv.)