Author Topic: National Geographic Film - Free Solo  (Read 2113 times)

Maggot

Re: National Geographic Film - Free Solo
« Reply #15 on: 20:35:55, 03/03/19 »
It's on National Geographic channel as we speak!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:29:52, 03/03/19 »
Drat !
In a money saving binge last year we dropped the Sky subscription. I haven't really missed it - until now !
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

MarkT

« Reply #17 on: 15:26:41, 04/03/19 »
I watched it over the weekend and what a guy and what a mountain to climb. Very very good indeed.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:05:10, 04/03/19 »
Watched it at the local cinema with my 12 year old son last Thursday - an astonishing achievement!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:29:19, 04/03/19 »
I believe it won an Oscar - so it isn't just us that thinks it's pretty darn good.
I just hope he isn't pressured into undertaking a sequel. It could just be a step too far.

There is one unbelievable section in the film shot by the guy at ground level with a large telescopic lens - who you see in the trailer (turning away and covering his eyes): I won't spoil it for anyone who may yet see it, but there is a moment of sheer farce ...... It's early morning and not long after the sun rises. About an hour 'ish into the climb and watch what happens when he is able to speed up by traversing across a pretty narrow ledge  :o

Did everyone spot the 'campers' on the ledge as Alex casually walked passed them ?  They must  have thought " What the **** "   ;D
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:10:25, 04/03/19 »
Drat !
In a money saving binge last year we dropped the Sky subscription. I haven't really missed it - until now !

;D ;D ;D  Same thing's just happened to me!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:31:37, 04/03/19 »

;D ;D ;D  Same thing's just happened to me!
Mrs I has a colleague at work who reported enjoying watching it on National Geographic too. Despite us not seeing it on TV she was able to say we at least saw it at the pictures prior to general release. Which is nice !
But, despite the advantage of the big screen (at the cinema) it would be good to record it and re-watch it again at leisure   :(
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:36:09, 05/03/19 »
Repeated on Monday 4 March - missed that one! - on Thursday 7 March at 13:00 - I've set my recorder for that! - and on Friday 8 March at 20:00. And there's a +1 hour channel.