Author Topic: Monocular or binoculars? What to choose?  (Read 807 times)

Pitboot

Re: Monocular or binoculars? What to choose?
« Reply #15 on: 18:33:04, 17/01/19 »
As ex forces I've used many types of optical instruments, night vision, IR, spotting scopes with huge magnifications, monoculars and binoculars, of excellent and not so good quality.
Also I have used a deer stalking  telescope, big and heavy but excellent for the task. These days as a civvy I often carry a pair of 8 x 20 binos on my travels. Star gazing and wildlife watching are enhanced by a good set of optics.
To the OP, it's binos for me all the way.

I'm fortunate to own a pair made by Swarovski, but you can get really good optics at a fraction of the price.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:45:54, 17/01/19 »
Have you considered a camera with a super zoom lens.  Not 50 but duel purpose

Untill I wrecked my last one I always carried it on walks.  As well as taking great pictures, I would sometimes simply use it to see what was happening in the distance.  They are so clever these days.  One clear evening I snapped some pictures of Jupiter and it's moons.  I didn't even use a tripod for that just the edge of  gate post an some controlled breathing. O0

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/superzoom-compact-cameras/digital-cameras/compact-and-bridge-cameras/344_3199_30301_xx_ba00010674-bv00308602/xx-criteria.html

A few examples here.
« Last Edit: 19:52:49, 17/01/19 by BuzyG »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:43:37, 18/01/19 »
I'm fortunate to own a pair made by Swarovski, but you can get really good optics at a fraction of the price.

My Swarovskis are probably my most treasured possession - partly only
because it will cost so much when I have to replace them. They are only the compact 8x20s (newer models are 8x25) but superb optics.   
Most walks start by finding the way out of the car park