Author Topic: Stoves  (Read 4336 times)

Litehiker

Re: Stoves
« Reply #75 on: 20:05:59, 11/03/19 »
gunwharfman,

Gunny, there are those whom, like the French, "Live to eat" and then there are those whom, like the Russians "Eat to live". I am in the former group and you are decidedly in the latter. That's OK and sometimes, such as cold breakfasts when backpack hunting, I chose not to cook to get an early start at "zero dark thirty".

But at the end of a day of backpacking or hunting I want a hot meal. So the Pad Thai gets cooked and maybe on a rainy morning I will fry up a freeze dried Mexican omelette and pre-cooked sausage. It's "comfort food" to me.

I'm done with long suffering and even short suffering if it's possible to avoid it. (Now where did I tie that llama?)

Eric B.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 14:41:03, 14/03/19 »
Cooking hot meals on camping trips is part of the experience for me.

tillster

« Reply #77 on: 11:12:25, 19/03/19 »

After much deliberation this is the one I've gone for  O0

I've noticed this thread a wee bit too late: I'm after a new stove set up, and the MSR is on my list: can I ask what pan / cup setup you've gone with ?

Another setup I have on my shortlist is the Optimus Elektra FE - a lovely engineered bit of kit, though a bit on the heavy side ((750g) if trying to go as light as possible  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimus-Elektra-FE-Cook-System/dp/B074TJNLP2

Anyone tried it ??

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 12:36:59, 19/03/19 »
Where there's a will ...

tillster

« Reply #79 on: 13:08:04, 19/03/19 »
Thanks for the swift reply O0

mow1701

« Reply #80 on: 19:35:30, 19/03/19 »
Depends on what you define as cheap. As the saying goes- buy cheap, buy twice. My vote for the Optimus Crux. It comes in a great neoprene back. The head pivots and arm folds so it can be stored in the bottom of a gas canister. The gas head is wide so spread the heat. Given me good service and doesn’t guzzle gas

tillster

« Reply #81 on: 20:22:11, 19/03/19 »
Hi mow.

The price difference is negligible (under a tenner more for the Optimus?) between the MSR kit and the Optimus kit, the latter being the only one of the two I have (very positive) experience of...... though te MSR is of course insanely popular.

They weigh almost the same too, so that's not an issue.   

Neither the MSR strainer lid nor the Optimus 'frying pan' lid are likely to see much action on my trips, though I suppose they allow for mealbag to be easily shared.

[size=78%] [/size]