Author Topic: Advide please - lightweight summer breathable waterproof  (Read 706 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Advide please - lightweight summer breathable waterproof
« Reply #15 on: 08:15:57, 25/01/19 »
The Berghaus Hyper 100 is extremely light and breathable. Probably the best of its type.

Very interesting - but I can find very few customer reviews. This one is a bit worrying -

"It could be good jacket, however the zipper leaks because it is not waterproof."

Pitboot

« Reply #16 on: 15:33:11, 25/01/19 »
Don't see many umbrellas up here in Orkney!  :)

Don't they end up in Bergen?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:09:55, 25/01/19 »

Don't they end up in Bergen?

;D something like that!

Pitboot

« Reply #18 on: 20:30:46, 26/01/19 »
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/images/products/thumbnails/1528281998-05727000.jpg

I can recommend this jacket.
Outdoor Research Foray, from Ultralight Outdoor Gear, on offer at the moment.

GinAndPlatonic

« Reply #19 on: 20:53:17, 26/01/19 »
I sometimes take an umbrella, it can be a good decision when it rains and there's no wind, I even use it when its hot and sunny, great for my bald patch. Sometimes when its really hot I just don't want to wear my hat!
Nicolas Crane always walked with an Umbrella..loved his Walks around Britain.https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/coast/article/nicolas-crane-interview/

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:45:47, 27/01/19 »

Very interesting - but I can find very few customer reviews. This one is a bit worrying -

"It could be good jacket, however the zipper leaks because it is not waterproof."
Yeah I saw that too. But then there are a number of reviews from gear sites that say they used it in heavy weather and found it completely waterproof and outstandingly breathable. You'd have thought that if the zip leaked, they'd have mentioned it. Or maybe not given the poor quality of so many review sites?
Looking at the design it seems to have a non-waterproof zip with a flap behind it, like Paramo do it. Maybe if you're walking into horizontal storm-force rain it eventually seeps in. But then is it really designed for serious conditions, or rather as a summer or just-in-case waterproof.
If it wasn't so damned expensive I'd like one to keep in my pack.

Bigfoot_Mike

« Reply #21 on: 16:47:02, 27/01/19 »
I certainly wouldn’t use an umbrella in the weather we have had today. I would probably have ended up in Norway. I don’t think umbrellas are much use in Scotland.

Ronin83

« Reply #22 on: 18:23:07, 27/01/19 »
A poncho?
Light and open wide at the bottom so breathes well.

Lightweight, 6 hours of heavy rain proof, tough(for rucksack straps) and highly breathable? These things simply don't come together