Author Topic: Last Chance Before Winter....Hiking the Gr10..Luchon to Cauterets  (Read 1276 times)

Stephen Mac

Bonjour :) . It's been a while since I put up any posts on here (can't think why) but I have been keeping busy. My latest international trip was a return to the Pyrenees to continue my occasional Odyssey along the Gr10. Being something of a contrarian I am heading from East to West O0 . If I can I like to squeeze in a late Autumn or early winter trip as I find it helps to shorten the dreary winter. Here is a link to the latest story. I hope you enjoy and I'd love your feedback. Many thanks,
Stephen :-*
https://howlingmist.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-return-to-gr10-luchon-to-cauterets.html[size=78%] [/size]

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Stop it - you are making me homesick.  I used to love walking that area - the central Pyrenees are an absolute paradise for hiking and Luchon is a great jumping off point.
The walk up to the Lac d'Oo was one of my milk runs when we had visitors.  It was a great place to see Izards while eating lunch at the refuge.  Incidentally, the chef would walk up every day and jog down after he had finished - made me feel totally inadequate.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Great read and some fabulous pictures there. 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Thanks Stephen, bought back memories of my GR10 2015 hike, I walked the oppoisite to you and I didn't go down to Garvarnie. I regret that. I too had a pair of boots wear out on me, in the end I did the last few days in cheap trainers.

I'm going to get out my map later and reread the details of your hike. Thank you again.

GinAndPlatonic

Some great images Stephen. Enjoyed looking at the sundrenched early days of your journey particularly.
Walking for me is an antidote to all that rushing around in life that sometimes happens.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I had a really good read of your journal last night with my map in front of me. Memory always surprises me because as I read and looked at my map, odd memories appeared in my head. I presume that something acts as a 'trigger' in my brain and I found myself smiling to myself time and time again. Loudenville for instance, I remember it was there that I had an enourmous Peche Melba ice cream, plus all the trimmings and two large black coffees as well served in a white bowl with no handles! Then Germ, as I walked along the narrow road in your photo the sun was shining brightly and I felt good, but within a few miles the weather became dreadful, thick mist and heavy rain! I do remember that as I walked onwards I passed through an area of small hazel nut trees to my right and then out of the mist and gloom I walked through a cutting in a large rock. No idea why these two memories came to mind but they did. On that day I just can't remember where I slept the night before or the night after?

I'm going to have another go later, I'm intrigued as to what other memories might seep out from my mind?

Stephen Mac

:D Cheers guys. Thanks for the kind words. The reason I decided to start this blog was so I could have a record for myself into advancing years. Even now I get a kick from going back over old posts. I  must edit some of the earlier ones as I still remember extra details. I'll put up a few more soon.