Author Topic: Walking in the Peaks  (Read 287 times)

telbert

Walking in the Peaks
« on: 20:33:41, 11/02/19 »
Hi all, I think I may have time to finally get round to spending a few days walking  in the Peak District in the next few weeks. I could do with a bit of help with the planning though. So 3/4 days walking ,ideally from one village to another. Starting at about 8/9 am and i'd want to be at my destination by mid/late afternoon for a bit of a mooch around and then settle down for the night with a few beers, a bite to eat and a comfortable bed for the night  before starting off again the next day.  I will be travelling up from London by train so would need to start and finish my trip within easy access to the railways. So can anyone offer any assistance or information to me please? All replies most gratefully accepted.

telbert

Re: Walking in the Peaks
« Reply #1 on: 22:21:51, 11/02/19 »
Sorry , just realised I've posted this in General. Could the mods please move this to the Peak District  section please. Ta.

Zizag

« Reply #2 on: 17:26:14, 12/02/19 »
Telbert
Edale is a good base for walks in the Peak district.
On Train Line from Manchester.
Accommodation  at Nags Head and Rambler Inn, also B/B available .
excellent walking hiking area locally  tracks trails  Kinder scout ,Mam Tor .
Also villages like Castleton were you can spend a day looking around shops ,pubs
also Hope and Bamford  villages .

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:44:37, 12/02/19 »
I can recommend Ollerbrook Barn if you want a b&b in Edale, stayed there twice at the start of my Pennine Way walks.  There's also a youth hostel there if you prefer hostels, and a couple of campsites.
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:44:47, 12/02/19 »
Worth having a look at Derwent Valley Heritage walk, especially if you like walking close to rivers, as opposed to hill walking.

51 miles in total, most of it through really good scenery. It predominantly follows the Derwent from its source near Bamford to where it runs into river Trent.

Obviously...giving state of public rights of way in U.K, there are sections where you lose sight of river, but knowing overall aim is to track river, makes navigation pretty easy.

Easy to do if you just "base" yourself in Sheffield or Chesterfield, public transport links make it easy to get to start of walk each day, then back to base at night.

I think main advantage...as opposed to basing trip on Edale is that you see a greater variety of Peak landscapes, and get a better feel for overall region.

nick949

« Reply #5 on: 12:53:41, 13/02/19 »
Edale Youth Hostel is great off-season.  Apart from the staff (the cook cooked me a very nice meal for one), I had the place entirely to myself while hiking part of the Pennine Way in early March 2013, although I almost got lost in the immense wheelchair accessible showers  8) .

Nick
Book: "Actually, I'm English: rediscovering my homeland on foot and by motorbike" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AGQIX1K)