Author Topic: YHA yet again penalises self caterers and solo walkers on a budget  (Read 1953 times)

Lakeland Lorry

To be fair to them, it is in 7.3.1 of their terms and conditions!  https://www.yha.org.uk/our-policies/booking-terms-conditions  The meals are a red herring, it's to do with the booking, not the food.  I guess they may have missed other bookings because you were there and now aren't and they have had admin time etc.  Try amending or cancelling a Ryan Air booking! 

"24 hours or more notice- We will refund 90% of the Total Booking, except for third party services."

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the meals are a red herring.   

I doubt very much that they missed out on any bookings, as I made the booking online at 8pm and then phoned the Customer Service team at 9am the following morning to cancel.   Also, I've just checked, and there's still beds available for the hostels that I've cancelled.   The bookings were made in mid-January, for stays in April.

Whilst I understand that there's undoubtedly an Admin charge element to cancelling bookings, and as I've already said that I don't mind taking a hit on not getting a full refund for cancelling the beds, I still don't understand the justification for charging me 10% for each meal (breakfast, packed lunch, evening meal) I had pre-booked for my stay in April.

Maggot

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the meals are a red herring.   

I doubt very much that they missed out on any bookings, as I made the booking online at 8pm and then phoned the Customer Service team at 9am the following morning to cancel.   Also, I've just checked, and there's still beds available for the hostels that I've cancelled.   The bookings were made in mid-January, for stays in April.

Whilst I understand that there's undoubtedly an Admin charge element to cancelling bookings, and as I've already said that I don't mind taking a hit on not getting a full refund for cancelling the beds, I still don't understand the justification for charging me 10% for each meal (breakfast, packed lunch, evening meal) I had pre-booked for my stay in April.

You made a booking, then cancelled some of them.  They are giving you back 90% of the cancelled bookings.  Is that right?  Where do the meals come into it?

There T&C say when you cancel a booking, you get back 90% of the value of the booking, which they have exactly done in this case, according to your post.  The cost of breakfast is what, 6, are you saying that they shouldn't have factored in the 60p element of that particular meal?

The T&Cs are very clear.......90% of the Total Booking.  So if you book a meal, that is rolled into the Total Cost, and you are only getting 90% of that back.

Why do so many people on here have a downer on the YHA?  It's more professional, cleaner, nicer, more comfortable, has better food, wifi, warmth, way better drying rooms, colour tv, a quiet room, better service (I have met some right miserable wardens), no compulsory blockjobs, self-catering kitchens, camping pods, instant mates to talk to, a decent website, quilts and not silly self-made sleeping sheets, en-suite rooms, family rooms, cake, a little shop, access to thousands of hostels worldwide and a decent history.  Yet still so many of you are saying it's generally a bit rubbish.

Why?  What exactly is wrong with it, apart from the fact it has dragged itself, bravely, intl the 21st century?

Ralph

Maggot, I totally agree with you, I have never had cause to complain about the rooms or service I have  been given on my many stays. The food has always been good value if not self catering & the kitchens always very clean. The only thing I don't like is the ability to drop in on the off chance has now gone, I would even consider a sofa.

Lakeland Lorry

@Maggot

I haven't got a downer on YHA's.  I use them fairly frequently and enjoy staying in them.   

As I said in my original post, I had booked an evening meal, breakfast and packed lunch for each of my stay.   As I had to cancel two bookings, that adds up to a lot more than 60p.   

Yes, the T&C's are very clear, but having made may bookings over the years, I wasn't aware that they had changed.   I certainly can't remember getting charged a percentage before for meals that had been part of my booking.   I may be wrong, but I doubt that everyone who books through a bed through the YHA website reads the T&Cs before making the booking.    Hence my original post was to alert others to the YHA's cancellation policy.