Author Topic: Bleaklow Route Please  (Read 495 times)

Jrterror

Bleaklow Route Please
« on: 13:22:02, 19/02/19 »
Hi all.
Well, the second "One Mountain Per Month "is looming and we need a route near to us, here in Barnsley.
We were thinking Bleaklow, more specifically a route that takes us near the B29 crash site.
Any ideas?
Much appreciated your advice last time. Thank you.
We were thinking something around 6-10 miles. As previously mentioned in my first post to this forum, we have two lads 9 and 11 years of age.
Thanks in anticipation
Dean

Jim Parkin

Re: Bleaklow Route Please
« Reply #1 on: 19:11:10, 21/02/19 »
Old Glossop (say SK046948) up Doctor's Gate and along the Pennine Way at the top towards the Shelf Stones, thewould give a there and back route along the same path on fairly good going. 

Or you could continue back via [the forum doesn't allow me to print the name of a male chicken ] Hill SK059960, which is OKish  but damp going, if I remember rightly

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:54:09, 21/02/19 »
A regular route of mine, also starting from Old Glossop is to go up over Lightside, follow the path above Yellowslacks and then come back down from the Higher Shelf Stones/crash site via the Lower Shelf Stones and James's Thorn. It's around 6 miles, 1800 ft ascent. You come back down to the farm track you walked on from Old Glossop. It's a nice little walk clockwise or anti-clockwise. Keep an eye out for mountain hares - I've seen a good few around there.

You could combine either of those paths with Jim's suggestion of the Doctor's Gate Path to make that into a circular route rather than a there-and-back, adds another mile or so on.

Jim's right that Harrop Moss which you'd cross to get to C__k Hill can be very wet and last time I was there it was a depressing place to walk compared to the regenerated moorland on Bleaklow and Kinder, for example. I'm assuming it's privately owned and it's certainly used for grouse shooting. There were little footbridges across the exposed peat groughs and many were broken & falling apart, some dangerously so.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #3 on: 20:11:24, 21/02/19 »
A regular route of mine, also starting from Old Glossop is to go up over Lightside, follow the path above Yellowslacks and then come back down from the Higher Shelf Stones/crash site via the Lower Shelf Stones and James's Thorn. It's around 6 miles, 1800 ft ascent. You come back down to the farm track you walked on from Old Glossop. It's a nice little walk clockwise or anti-clockwise. Keep an eye out for mountain hares - I've seen a good few around there.

You could combine either of those paths with Jim's suggestion of the Doctor's Gate Path to make that into a circular route rather than a there-and-back, adds another mile or so on.

Jim's right that Harrop Moss which you'd cross to get to C__k Hill can be very wet and last time I was there it was a depressing place to walk compared to the regenerated moorland on Bleaklow and Kinder, for example. I'm assuming it's privately owned and it's certainly used for grouse shooting. There were little footbridges across the exposed peat groughs and many were broken & falling apart, some dangerously so.

That sounds a better bet than male chicken hill

Jrterror

« Reply #4 on: 12:41:17, 26/02/19 »
Hi.
Well, we've done "Mountain" No 2. I found a route that coincidentally was the same as Adalards and Jims suggestion.
Once again, the kids loved it. My eldest is into to aircraft, so I thought we'd take in the B.29 as well. It was great. I didn't tell him about it. I chose a predetermined point at which to turn directly South and we headed off across the troughs. It was really easy to keep a southly heading without the compass or picking a landmark, because we reached the predetermined point at exactly 12 o'Clock. Anyway, when we reached the wreckage his reaction was amazing.
After eating lunch at the site, we continued on to doctors gate, heading West and back to out start point. It's a really nice route.
So, thanks again everyone.

Are there any other suggested 610m + hills/mountains in the the area (sheffield) we can do. Or do we now need to go further afield. We were thinking Ingleborough.
Thanks again

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:11:43, 26/02/19 »
Ingleborough is a cracker, lots of interesting routes. The best IMO, is from Clapham, past Ingleton Cave, up Trow Gill, call in at Gaping Ghyll, then to the summit via Little Ingleborough and the Iron age 'huts'. After the summit, descend towards Horton at Swine tail. Just after the ruined shooting hut, over the stream, bear right along a track through Limestone pavement. Follow on over Thwaite scar, and descend to Thwaite lane (a rough track) through the Norber erratics. Turn right on Thwaite lane to return to Clapham. A splendid route of around 10 miles.  O0

GPX available if required.

Jrterror

« Reply #6 on: 17:27:25, 27/02/19 »
Ingleborough is a cracker, lots of interesting routes. The best IMO, is from Clapham, past Ingleton Cave, up Trow Gill, call in at Gaping Ghyll, then to the summit via Little Ingleborough and the Iron age 'huts'. After the summit, descend towards Horton at Swine tail. Just after the ruined shooting hut, over the stream, bear right along a track through Limestone pavement. Follow on over Thwaite scar, and descend to Thwaite lane (a rough track) through the Norber erratics. Turn right on Thwaite lane to return to Clapham. A splendid route of around 10 miles.  O0

GPX available if required.

Hi Hillhiker.
Thanks for this route
We have two lads, aged 9 and 11. Is the route suitable for them?
And yes, if GPX is what I think it is, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #7 on: 19:07:37, 27/02/19 »
There are plenty you can do near Sheffield.  Hathersage makes a good starting point for many.  There is also Kinder, say up Grindsbrook, along the top to the Downfall, then back and down Kinder Low and back via Jacob's Ladder (don't know the distance off the top of my head, but it should be doable for kids that age. 

Also park and rail, so you can walk between stations.  If you finish at Edale, there's the Rambler for waiting for the train. 

Then there's the White Peak, which is quite different. 

And places like the Roaches for somewhere that feels quite isolated, but isn't far from Leek or Buxton

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:10:38, 27/02/19 »

It depends on how "hill fit" your lads are, You're the best judge of that. The hardest part is the climb after Gaping Ghyll up to little Ingleborough, but my kids managed it at about that age. It's a pretty straightforward walk on good paths. You could cut it short by about 3 miles or so if you like. To do that; when descending to Horton after swine tail, about 50 yards before the first wall you have to cross there's a broad grassy path (not marked on the map) on your right which will take you back to Gaping Ghyll. You can retrace your route back to Clapham from there. It is pretty much a full day out for youngsters though. Be careful round Gaping Ghyll,

Pen Y Ghent is nearby if you fancy something a bit shorter - still a good day out for the kids - around 6 miles.
I can't work out how to add a GPX, I can PM it to you if you like?