Author Topic: Which paper maps.  (Read 958 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Which paper maps.
« Reply #30 on: 20:43:39, 05/03/19 »
Great to read the response in thread.  There are clearly still many of us who love our paper maps.  Wether as back up to GPS or works of art, I can see me continuing to collect them just as long as OS keep printing them.  O0

For interest has any one else also treated themselves to a Times World Atlas.  I bought one with the small inheritance my farther left me when he past, 22 years ago.  Another peice of informative art, that I will treasure forever.
« Last Edit: 20:54:25, 05/03/19 by BuzyG »

Oxenhoper

« Reply #31 on: 21:22:48, 05/03/19 »
But OS 1:25k maps show walls even fences in upland areas that are important for navigation, these are not on 1:50k maps.

As a visitor to Greek islands for many years, I have found the various maps available pretty awful, but in recent years Terrain maps http://terrainmaps.gr/index.php?l=en#aboutus have appeared. While they are not that highly detailed, they are reasonably accurate and worth seeking out.

Some interesting discussion of colour-blindness here; I recall the boy in my primary school class who painted grass and trees brown, and earth red.

The point about walls and fences is an important one in areas where the rights of way are barely visible on the ground or are difficult to distinguish from sheep tracks.  Finding you have climbed or dropped several hundred feet in the wrong field and having to retrace your steps is not great, especially towards the end of a walk that's at the limit of your stamina. 

It was under such circumstances I ripped my hand open trying to climb over a very greasy fence to avoid doing the climb again.
Oxenhoper was born in Burnley but had the sense to move somewhere nicer at the age of five days.

Stube

« Reply #32 on: 11:05:05, 07/03/19 »
I use lots of maps! I mainly do long linear walks in areas I've not walked before.

For route following my first choice is an A-Z Adventure series where they exist. OS 25k mapping in a convenient form for long linear walks.

Harvey maps if AZ does not cover it - but they are useless if the route involves anything larger than a small village.

If neither of the above then I'll create my own strip map of double sided A4 panels of OS 50k maps.

For urban areas my preference is for extracts from Philips County Street Maps at 20k scale. Apart from the named streets, these maps show all public footpaths and bridleways and name buildings not shown on even the OS 25k maps. The excellent Trailblazer guides are based on this mapping.

For context and general planning, my choice is Philips Navigator Atlas at 100k scale. In addition to basic roads and tracks they show National Trails, major campsites, woodland and streams and hill heights and names. I plot my route on them and add other known campsites. The double side sheets are slightly under A3 in size so cover a large area. Excellent for noting escape routes or for going well off the planned route as I'm prone to! I find a sheet typically covers two days walking - they are my back up to the strip maps. I use sheets torn from an old copy.

Both sets of Philips maps are national grid aligned and show grid lines so can be used with GPS if you have to!
« Last Edit: 11:15:57, 07/03/19 by Stube »