Author Topic: Sugarloaf and River Usk  (Read 517 times)

peapod21

• Veteran Member
Sugarloaf and River Usk
« on: 18:21:16, 29/03/19 »

Long overdue trip report of walk up the Sugarloaf in December.

https://tuggerstrails.blogspot.com/2019/03/sugarloaf-and-river-usk-abergavenny.html
You have one life, make the most of it.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Sugarloaf and River Usk
« Reply #1 on: 19:09:08, 29/03/19 »
I enjoyed that  O0  Iíve been up Sugarloaf many times by different routes, my personal favourite is via Llangenny but you do get that tough tarmac uphill bit. We also came across a couple of mean sheepdogs one time who wanted to kill my own quiet collie Iím sure, thanks for posting.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:28:50, 30/03/19 »
A very interesting read, Peapod. I don't know the area at all so it was all new to me - another place to add to the ever-growing "to visit" list!  :) O0

We encountered a farm dog like that by the side of a lane near Settle just recently. Fortunately we were pre-warned by a couple of walkers ahead of us setting it off so we didn't jump out of our skins like they did! It was so loud a herd of cattle came down the fell to investigate - we left the lane with them standing beside the wall bellowing and staring into the van while the dog became increasingly frantic inside. No idea where the owner was...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:14:19, 01/04/19 »
Great read Peabod - never walked in that area but my youngest has landed a summer job in Brecon, so am hoping to spend acouple of weekends getting acquainted - looks like I'll enjoy it.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:47:42, 01/04/19 »
Nice walk and report there. Just one visit to Sugar Loaf here, good walking by any route.

I've walked this route up the Sugarloaf at least half a dozen times, and I swear each time gets tougher.  It is absolutely nothing to do with my getting older or expanding waist line.
Whatever you say, Peapod...  :)

clyoung

« Reply #5 on: 07:56:13, 02/04/19 »
Looks like a good day out. Though given the various dogs and how my eldest son feels about them I think we'll avoid this route!