Author Topic: The Birds, the birds.  (Read 12379 times)

MkPotato

Re: The Birds, the birds.
« Reply #120 on: 19:03:56, 22/11/20 »
Ridiculously noisy due to failing light but this Kestrel gave me the perfect pose this afternoon.

Great shot!!

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: 20:24:34, 22/11/20 »
Ridiculously noisy due to failing light but this Kestrel gave me the perfect pose this afternoon.

That is just beautiful . It is as if he is asking "will this pose do"....!
Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #122 on: 08:15:16, 23/11/20 »
Fabulous kestrel shot O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: 11:34:07, 23/11/20 »
Lovely picture  O0

watershed

« Reply #124 on: 17:43:31, 23/11/20 »
wow, excellent shot! O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: 18:03:00, 23/11/20 »
Fab kestrel shot  O0
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #126 on: 15:35:59, 28/11/20 »

There is a colony of sparrows that roost in a garden next to ours, it is very overgrown so they seem to love it. I have six feeders which they come too every day. They also attract a resident Sparrow Hawk . I feed the sparrows and the sparrows feed the Hawk .  :)

I told my wife to take the plastic bag down that is hanging ready for next time I get a chance to snap him......it obscured the view of this beauty ... ???
Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because it's excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience - Adam Smith

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: 18:32:34, 28/11/20 »
Beautiful Kestral photo, andybr, unfortunately one of these little beauties is lying dead at the side of the road nearby.

Fantastic photo, GinAndPlatonic, those eyes!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: 19:56:55, 28/11/20 »
Such a delight, GinAndPlatonic, when you have the opportunity to observe this hunter-prey relationship up close Afro
Wonderful picture too with the fierce eyes!
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: 20:04:19, 28/11/20 »
Great to capture a sparrowhawk. Despite having seen quite a few in and around our garden, I have never captured one on camera. They have such piercing eyes.

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: 22:10:40, 28/11/20 »
When this guy is around you cannot hear any birds at all , everything goes deathly silent . I imagine the sparrows in the bushes all around , as if holding their breath until he has gone. ...I actually had time to go in the house and get my camera only to realise on my return that I had no memory card in it..I once again went into the house and when I returned for a second time he had gone , but then to my surprise he flew up onto the fence still looking for prey.
This was taken at f 5.6 and when I finally got my head round what I was doing ,I dialled it back down to f2.8

« Last Edit: 22:22:17, 28/11/20 by GinAndPlatonic »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #131 on: 08:56:14, 29/11/20 »
Fabulous.

House sparrows used to visit my garden and a sparrow hawk - neither now :(

I have a small pond and the sparrow hawk would hunt around the flower pots for frogs right by the back door.
One day he caught a starling all that was left was the beak and one foot:(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #132 on: 09:08:49, 29/11/20 »
We had a sparrowhawk fly into our kitchen window. It was stunned and lying on its back with its wings spread out - still breathing. The local feral cats were intrigued by it. My wife went out with gloves on and flipped it the right way up. After a period recovering, it eventually flew off.

On another occasion, I was in the front garden and a great tit landed right next to me. All of a sudden there was a whoosh and a sparrowhawk landed a foot away from my left foot at the location the great tit had just vacated. Immediately the hawk was off trying to catch the escapee, flying through a gap in the hedge. This time it was unsuccessful.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: 10:33:28, 29/11/20 »
Cracking pics G&P,

GinAndPlatonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #134 on: 16:09:12, 30/11/20 »
Beautiful Kestral photo, andybr, unfortunately one of these little beauties is lying dead at the side of the road nearby.

Fantastic photo, GinAndPlatonic, those eyes!
We had a sparrowhawk fly into our kitchen window. It was stunned and lying on its back with its wings spread out - still breathing. The local feral cats were intrigued by it. My wife went out with gloves on and flipped it the right way up. After a period recovering, it eventually flew off.

On another occasion, I was in the front garden and a great tit landed right next to me. All of a sudden there was a whoosh and a sparrowhawk landed a foot away from my left foot at the location the great tit had just vacated. Immediately the hawk was off trying to catch the escapee, flying through a gap in the hedge. This time it was unsuccessful.
Fabulous.

House sparrows used to visit my garden and a sparrow hawk - neither now :(

I have a small pond and the sparrow hawk would hunt around the flower pots for frogs right by the back door.
One day he caught a starling all that was left was the beak and one foot:(
I just love these stories....there is so much drama going on in our gardens. The older I am the more I really see. Photography is wonderful in that respect , it can motivate us to start really looking .
I remember years ago watching a squirrel , a blackbird and other birds just sharing time in my garden when something startled all of them...the squirrel made a beeline for the tree and collided with the blackbird at the same time . It was so funny . All life is out there at times.  :D