Author Topic: Mountain mystery : where was this photo taken...  (Read 538 times)

demislw

Hi,

I have a photo of my father taken in the late 50s at what we understand to be somewhere in North Wales. I feel like it's probably a shot of him standing in front of Cnicht, but have not been in Snowdonia enough to know for sure.... I'd be really keen to go to this exact spot, for the sake of trying to take the same photo ;) ;)

Where do you guys think this shot was taken? (This seemed like a good forum to ask, based on our assumption of the location..)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Demis

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Mountain mystery : where was this photo taken...
« Reply #1 on: 11:45:55, 16/05/19 »

I have a hunch that it might be Crib Goch, end on from the NE, taken from the top of the cliffs on the southern flank of Glyder Fawr.

PS - welcome to the forum from Orkney  :)
« Last Edit: 11:54:23, 16/05/19 by richardh1905 »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:19:59, 16/05/19 »
My guess would be top of Dinas y Gromlech. Taken across the gap made by the Cromlech Stones falling out of the crag, thus making the climbs first put up by Joe Brown and Don Whillans, Cemetary Gates, Cenotaph Corner and Ivy Sepulchre. If my guess is right then your father is standing at the top of a climb called Spectre and the photo is taken from the top of Cemetary gates or thereabouts. The climbs were first climbed around 1956 I think. That was the major turning point in climbing between the prewar and the post war concept of what was possible to free climb.
« Last Edit: 16:24:01, 16/05/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:58:50, 16/05/19 »
BWW you may be right.
Something to get an idea about this climbing area from this video. Please don't think for one minute that the climbs BWW mentions are mere scrambles, this stuff is pretty full on.
It just happens that Hazel is an extremely good climber (the first woman to climb E9 I think).

Unfortunately you never get a view out, away from the rock face across the valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEuNt6xQQ8Q
Nice music too  O0

Wonder if your father was just looking or whether he'd been involved in those early ascents ?
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:55:48, 16/05/19 »
Yes, that is where I had in mind, but I forgot the name. A mecca for climbers about that time. I'm positive that it is Crib Goch in the background.

Was your father a climber, demislw?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:13:38, 16/05/19 »
That looks more like the Trinity face of Snowdon in the background, so it must be Crib Goch, not the Cromlich.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:39:01, 16/05/19 »

The prominent mountain in the background is definitely Crib Goch.

Take a look at this shot that I found on the internet - the crags to the top left match exactly.

http://www.olivermentz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Dinas-Mot.jpg

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:59:27, 16/05/19 »
The prominent mountain in the background is definitely Crib Goch.

Take a look at this shot that I found on the internet - the crags to the top left match exactly.

http://www.olivermentz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Dinas-Mot.jpg
As does the high ground visible behind the shoulder to the right.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:50:05, 18/05/19 »
Certainly not Cnicht, as there are no mountains behind the Welsh Masterhorn.

It certainly does look like the North Ridge of Crib Goch, with the ridge of the Llanberis route up Snowdon in the background, roughly near Llechog.

I recon this shot was taken on the rocky ridges below Glyder Fawr, more on the Llanberis Pass side as you head down towards Pen Y Pass.

Just look at the gaping chasm below, it looks so similar to the Pont Y Gromlech section of the Llanberis Pass.

The pointy bit to the right hand section of the mountain, almost 100% certain that is the start of the North Ridge of Crib Goch.

Viewed from the Nant Peris side of the Llanberis Pass, its unmistakeable.

Might be wrong, but the more i look at it, the more i see the huge chasm of Cwm Glas to the right of the shot.
« Last Edit: 12:57:36, 18/05/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:37:56, 18/05/19 »
 A photo of Cenotaph Corner taken 1964.
cenotaph corner by Barewirewalker, on Flickr

I could not afford colour then. If the photo was taken on the promontory formed by the left wall, which, believe was pretty cramped, it may not have allowed for a very level angle. Taken across the void of the corner allows for this fairly level angle, which would put the camera above Dinas Mot, the face is about 200ft below the top of the Cromlech. A line drawn from the top of Dinas y Gromlech to the summit of Crib goch makes this a possibility.
My guess is based on a sense on familiarity with that promontory, though very distant time now, though likely to be a well embedded memory as it was a safe haven after finishing my first Hard Very Severe lead.

Looking at the other possibility of Bryn Ddu, would Dinas Mot be more visible?

Looking at the detail in the foreground and the available light, given the cloud cover, it suggests someone taking some pretty serious equipment up for a colour photo in the 1950's,
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.