Author Topic: child seats for bikes...  (Read 1868 times)

solo backpacker

child seats for bikes...
« on: 15:50:05, 01/06/07 »
i know i'm a little off topic this being a walking site and all but does anyone know of a child carrying system capable of being fitted to a full suspension mountain bike?
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: child seats for bikes...
« Reply #1 on: 13:34:28, 02/06/07 »
solo backpacker. You could try this forum www.CyclingForums.com hope this help's
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 12:05:20, 06/06/07 »
I've got an Avenir trailer buggy that attaches to the rear wheel axle. If you have a conventional spindle you bolt on this small stub which stays there permanently, and then you attach the buggy to that when needed.

Got it new off ebay for 35, and can take up to 2 kids. Judging by the cost of hiring them, it paid for itself after just a couple of trips.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:55:55, 06/06/07 »
Snap, Chris .. though foolishly I paid a little more 99.00.  I found this trailer was easily detachable, and could pretty much fit onto any bike.  The only real problem I had with it was that it was heavy when doing long distance (I think the furthest I took it, with the two lads, was about 30+ miles) and the hills were a killer.

Also, when the bike was finally nicked (sob sob), I found it a nightmare trying to find a replacement adaptor for the rear axle, which obviously disappeared with the bike.

In regard to child seats, I had a great one, but it wouldn't have worked on a full suspension bike, but it wasn't great for when the little one nodded off, she couldn't get fully comfortable.

solo backpacker

« Reply #4 on: 17:12:32, 06/06/07 »
thanks for the help on this.

i hired a trailer while away last wend, i stayed at spiers house which is a forestry commission run campsite with loads of hilly track based biking. the trailer was really hard work on the slightly rougher and up hill areas. i assume my combined three year old and trailer weight, plus my general recent poor fitness contributed.
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

solo backpacker

« Reply #5 on: 17:13:16, 06/06/07 »
also, i paid 2.50 for the day hire! bargain