Author Topic: How Old Is Your Tent  (Read 1217 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Re: How Old Is Your Tent
« Reply #15 on: 11:56:22, 18/06/19 »
Nostalgia indeed   O0
.......Nut runners and other home made kit, the feel took me back. I found some giant beautifully shaped aircraft wheel nuts in a scrapyard, as soon as one was spotted on one of my slings in the pub in LLanberis I had to grab a load to take up the next weekend.
Possibly collectors items these days - it would be interesting to know what they came off.

Apologies OP - we are going way off topic now.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:41:34, 19/06/19 »

I still have a wild country tent that I bought when we got married in 1984 (not used much now as the UV has damaged the fly because it was used so much in the high deserts and at altitude).

I have a Mountain Equipment redline sleeping bag which I still use regularly bought in 1983. I have a set of camping pans which I probably bought in the mid 1970s used for car camping but superceeded by titanium pans for backpacking.

My "new" tent, a  Laser Comp I bought in 2009 and still going strong and it has had some hammer.

I still use on almost a daily basis my Swiss Army penknife I got for my 21st birthday over 41 years ago and it has been on every walking/camping trip I have done.

Litehiker

« Reply #17 on: 02:27:54, 20/06/19 »
1. Tarptent Moment DW (solo) 6 yers old

2. Tarptent Scarp 2 (2 person) 5 years old

3. The North Face Tadpole (2 consenting adults) 20 years old

4. Eureka! Wind River (3 person tent) 25 years old

Mostly I use the Moment DW year around B/C I've modified it for 4 season use, running the optional Crossing Pole under the fly for greater wind and snow load strength.

Eric B.

Bartinney

« Reply #18 on: 22:02:49, 20/07/19 »
I have a Blacks Mountain Tent from 1970 in Ventile that I have had from new. From eBay, I have a Blacks Tinker And an Arctic Guinea which I used last week.
From my backpacking years I have a Field and Trek Trailmaker and a Phoenix Phreak. I use a Trangia but still have 2 Primus Paraffin stoves probably No 96.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:32:40, 20/07/19 »
Somehow I missed this thread, I was on holiday when it started.
Round about 1953 or 4 my father obtained a 1 gallon plastic jerrycan from his brother, my uncle, who was at the time developing polymers and plastics for ICI. He got it to take on a family camping trip to Slimbridge, Gloucestershire, when about seven of us all slept together in a square frame tent.
When my father passed away in the 70s I acquired the water container, which I used on countless camping trips until May this year when I got it out of the loft to find that the top had shattered into several little pieces.
So it had something like 65 years of use!   

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:53:27, 20/07/19 »
Mention must be made of my Karrimor Jaguar 6 rucksack, I bought it around 1985 and still use it regularly; it shows no signs of giving up yet. What is more, it is much lighter in weight than many modern-day equivalents.

A special award ought to go to my Ultimate Tramp 1 tent which I bought from Taunton Leisure (I believe they're still going) in 1983 and used till 2013.
The original groundsheet was replaced twice in the tent's life, but the latest one was letting water in again in 2013, at which time the flysheet was deteriorating, with numerous tiny "pinholes" in it through which water dripped in heavy rain. The whole tent was also becoming increasingly saggy, no matter how taught I pegged it out. The tent went in the bin while I left the aluminium poles and pegs on the edge of the pavement, where they were snapped up almost immediately by a passing scrap metal merchant.
« Last Edit: 22:58:07, 20/07/19 by fernman »

zuludog

« Reply #21 on: 11:13:54, 21/07/19 »
During my last year at school I got a Saturday job, plus there were birthday and Christmas presents; I bought a lot of hiking gear in that period, some of which I kept for a long time

Black's tents dominated the market, but In 1968 I bought one of the new Vango tents, a Force 10 Mk 3 for 16 - 19 - 6d.  To keep the price down it came with steel poles & pegs but I saved up and soon replaced those with alloy, including Bulldog nesting poles

It's been proofed & patched several times, but I still use it for car borne camping

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:27:20, 22/07/19 »
The poles from my 1984 Vango MK4 Force Ten have just been repurposed as kingpoles to turn the door of our Coleman family tunnel tent, what I call the "Mosedale Whale", into an awning.