Author Topic: Naked Ramblers  (Read 1325 times)

tyreon

Naked Ramblers
« on: 13:34:56, 17/06/19 »

I read about Switzerland  threatening to prosecute the increasing number of German naked ramblers who walk their high paths. Has anyone here seen some/one?

How goes our own naked rambler? Anyone here seen and tipped their hat to him? I mean,on the trail,not in the slammer.

Seemed a decent bloke with an interesting take on matter when I last saw him on the box.

I wondered if he could be excused prosecution if he declared himself a Jain. I thought Natural England welcomed all comers to our green and pleasant land. ;)

astaman

Re: Naked Ramblers
« Reply #1 on: 14:00:34, 17/06/19 »
Never seen one myself. Shetland weather would be a challenge even if we allow that skin is both waterproof and breathable. Stephen Gough (the naked rambler) always struck me as an amiable eccentric at worst but, unlike the Swiss apparently, I'm not easily offended.

By the way Gunwharfman - could this be your way of cutting down on the cost of camping?

tyreon

« Reply #2 on: 15:02:22, 17/06/19 »

I think he camps on his outings. Dunno how he gets on in seeking b+bs of an evening.

As being au natural seems to be a  punishable offence, I wonder why mothers and their newborns aren't prosecuted at birth. Or the butt naked cycle riders aren't all imprisoned on their outings?

Be an interesting person to talk to of an evening. Bet he has some tales to tell.

Seems to have gone AWOL of recent.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:33:37, 17/06/19 »
The Daily Mail reported in 2016:-

"Britainís infamous ĎNaked Ramblerí has quit his nude crusade after more than a decade - so he can take his poorly 89-year-old mother for walks.

Stephen Gough, 57, of Eastleigh, Hampshire, has spent much of the past decade in prison over his refusal to wear clothes after he first took to wandering naked in 2003.

But he is putting aside his staunch belief in trekking with no clothes on so he can take care of his dementia-suffering mother Nora and take her for strolls without being arrested."

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:54:17, 17/06/19 »
I think he camps on his outings. Dunno how he gets on in seeking b+bs of an evening.

As being au natural seems to be a  punishable offence, I wonder why mothers and their newborns aren't prosecuted at birth. Or the butt naked cycle riders aren't all imprisoned on their outings?

Not to mention the mass naked swimmers :o

By the way Gunwharfman - could this be your way of cutting down on the cost of camping?
  ;D
So many paths, so little time

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:15:59, 17/06/19 »

Possibly, but if it goes wrong and the law steps in you could end up with your assets frozen  :D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:07:40, 17/06/19 »
If I should ever spot a naked rambler on Dartmoor in winter. I will likely take my hat off to them.  Before rapping them in a thermal blanket and calling out the rescue team.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:30:42, 17/06/19 »
Nettles???
How do they cope with nettles?
Apart from tick prevention that is the whole point of trews and socks.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:02:58, 17/06/19 »
Cutting the cost of camping? If I hiked naked I'm sure it would scare the cows away!

I've never seen a naked hiker myself, but I have seen naked hikers skinny dipping in a few lakes that I've passed by.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:05:08, 17/06/19 »
If you met one you could at least tell if he was pleased to see you.

Iíll get my own hat & coat.
Solvitur Ambulando

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:42:23, 18/06/19 »

Cue the sound of a jews harp ....... (Carry On style)
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:02:55, 18/06/19 »
I've never seen a naked hiker myself, but I have seen naked hikers skinny dipping in a few lakes that I've passed by.

:-[ oops

An assumption here that they would not be female?
but if they, were would they get arrested? 
« Last Edit: 19:07:33, 18/06/19 by Jac »

Sonatine

« Reply #12 on: 19:03:29, 18/06/19 »
Last year I was camping in a very nice location with a pool in the Lake District. A young couple turned up, who within seconds revealed themselves to in fact be a photographer and, after one swish of a coat, a nude model. There canít have been any one else for miles around, but they obviously wanted to use the pool setting, in spite of the fact I was camped there. It was quite surreal.

PembsWalker

« Reply #13 on: 23:04:59, 22/10/19 »
I've been a naked rambler for a few years. I love it as I feel closer to nature. I do it all year round, I especially enjoy it in Autumn and Winter; as long as you keep moving you don't get cold.

I only do it in very quiet places with good visibility so I have plenty of time to cover up if I see or hear anybody as I don't want to shock or offend.

My understanding of the Stephen Gough case is that he would regularly walk through built-up, densely populated places like housing estates. While it wouldn't bother me if he walked naked past my house, I can see why people would get upset.
It does seem rather hypocritical though when most major cities host World Naked Bike Rides these days.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:43:58, 23/10/19 »
I don't want to shock or offend.

Why people are shocked/offended by the sight of an unclothed human is beyond me.  Being shocked/offended by some people's behaviour I can understand.