Author Topic: River Tyne Trail .... South Tyne completed, now for North Tyne.  (Read 868 times)

Dodgylegs

Today completed my walk along South Tyne from Tynemouth to Source near Garragill. This is from the Daft as a Brush Cancer Patient Care Walk Book.

Undertaken over a few months doing circular walks (where possible) and using train in Tyne Valley to travel back to car. Wish I had thought as this earlier!

If anyone needs any info on this walk I would be pleased to help, if I am able.

Next stage is to Source of North Tyne, north of Kielder Water.

Back to circular walks, it appears, and would like to hear from anyone who has walked this stretch of the Tyne about possible places to park up and walk from.

Also continuing to undertake Pennine Way on similar circular walks, up near Byrness at present.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
I did the South Tyne a couple of years ago as well as the Tees and Wear
Looked at the North Tyne.
It's a logistical nightmare with few if any buses etc.
Have gotten as far as Bellingham using circular walks -might see if I can plot some more beyond that.
Parking usually available in the villages such as Humshaugh or Birtley

Dodgylegs

Walks on North Tyne so far...

Warden to Chollerford, park car walk there and back along roads.
Chollerford to Wark, walk to Wark bus back.... arrived Wark, bus timetable, bus every two hours, next 2.16pm arrived at stop 2.14pm!
Kielder to Source of Tyne, parked Bakethin car park walked to Deadwater and back.

Still enjoying the walks, scenery and meeting loads of interesting folk.

Looking to use bus where possible in future.

Dodgylegs

North Tyne update....

Have now extended walk towards Kielder Water....

Parked in Bellingham, walked to Wark (8.98 miles) and got bus back. (not using all of route along riverside , see below)

On return from another walk up here walked Bellingham riverside route to Redesmouth Road (2.99 miles)

Parked Cuddles Loop lay-by, walked into Bellingham then walked from there to Newton. (6.86 miles)

Parked Lanehead, walked to Newton then back to Lanehead and along road towards Donkleywood. (7.44 miles) Stopped where route goes into woods which is described as very bogey, returned via Hott Bridge section, which was worth it to see the bridge but very bogey, met a couple of interesting bulls!

Also walked the route, south of Tyne, from South Shields.... full of public transport dramas!

So not far to go and route planned!